Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Hey Bama Mike, I'm a new member too! This will be my first post in the Lounge. I just watched "My Darling Clementine" with Henry Fonda. It's a 1946 western with a lot of great hats!

BegintheBeguine said:
The Bourne Ultimatum. Was good.
Really? I liked the original novels, but they lost me when they completely hosed up the storyline by killing Marie in Supremacy. I thought that when they cut out Bourne's "other half" David Webb, Marie, and their archnemesis Carlos, that pretty much killed it right there...

Then again, when I first read them I was tearing Bourne/Webb's mind apart for an assignment one of my psych profs gave me, so I believe I have a better understanding of the original character than the screenwriter, especially with having a similar "two lives in one mind" effect.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Where the Sidewalk Ends with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney. Very well done noir, and had me wondering the entire time how it would end. I certainly didn't have this one figured out.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Really? I liked the original novels, but they lost me when they completely hosed up the storyline by killing Marie in Supremacy. I thought that when they cut out Bourne's "other half" David Webb, Marie, and their archnemesis Carlos, that pretty much killed it right there...

I watched The Bourne Ultimatum over the weekend, too. I love the Bourne movies, but I watched the first and second movie before I read the book. And now I can't figure out why they killed off Marie in the second movie and deviated so much from the books. Drives me nuts. Still, great plot and action in the movies and I hope to buy the trilogy.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:

Then again, when I first read them I was tearing Bourne/Webb's mind apart for an assignment one of my psych profs gave me, so I believe I have a better understanding of the original character than the screenwriter, especially with having a similar "two lives in one mind" effect.
Yeah, I haven't read the series, being more of a Travis McGee girl. My brother called and told me The Bourne Ultimatum was as good as one of our favorites French Connection 2 (yes, 2) and I wouldn't say it was anywhere near as good as that but an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon with a guy friend who doesn't like fims noir. I did watch The Bourne Identity right before so I'd have some idea but I hadn't borrowed The Bourne Supremacy yet but I was able to follow along.

pgoat

One Too Many
Just watched French Connection 1 - one of my all time faves and it is great to watch the frosty cold vintage NYC winter scenes (bummed that we couldn't get a slice of pizza whilst watching the part where Popeye is freezing outside the cushy French Restaurant-everything is closed today!!). Lots of great hats besides Popeye's porkpie.

I guess I could see the appeal of the sequel. Never hit me like the first one but it has its strengths - Hackman certainly did a great job in a very different film with the same character.

Also watched Shaft today - amazing clothes and some wicked lids, especially the Police Lt. and all the Mobsters.

Now suffreing through The Peace Killers, which imho skirts a very fine line betwixt "so bad it's good" and just plain BAD. Basically a pathetic "C" movie which stars some no-names and some decent supporting character actors (most notably Albert Popwell, who made a side career playing alongside Clint Eastwood), which I gather was made to capitalize on the Billy Jack phenomenon....

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everything's open here! Well, most everything. I just had a slice of yummy pizza, so hot and oozing. Anyway, the sequel was the only version I'd seen for years and years although I read the book The French Connection in my 20s.
Last movie I watched was The Crowd, silent classic with a Christmas scene. There's a thread on the movie somewhere around here, I think.

pgoat

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Everything's open here! Well, most everything. I just had a slice of yummy pizza, so hot and oozing. .

Dang! go on, rub it in!:D

The wife just made us a lovely dinner of salmon with baked potato and peas. so all is right....or rather it was right, until I popped a vhs of Blacula in....hoo, boy! It's really scary but in all the wrong ways. It certainly started off promisingly enough (tres campy) but ka-boom, all downhill from there.......

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I watched the first 3/4 of Perfume a couple days ago. I didn't like it at all. It isn't nothing but a guy sniiffing stuff. [huh] It is not interesting to watch someone going around smelling the air, or his hands, or dead bodies, or anything.

pgoat

One Too Many
That sounds like this flick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_(film)

I think there may have been some interesting moments, and I am sure someone who knows math (personally, like Bart Simpson, I know of it) might have more there to chew on, but overall I remember the viewing experience to be rather akin to watching paint dry, only worse, like watching paint dry whilst sitting in the dentist's chair........basically an hour and a half of this odd and unlikable guy working on theories in his mundane apartment......

No sir; I didn't like it

carter

I'll Lock Up
Saturday - The Fountainhead starring Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal, and Raymond Massey,

Sunday - Chinatown starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunnaway (1974), and The Two Jakes starring Nicholson, Harvey Keitel, and Meg Tilly (1990).

Anyone think there will ever be a third to wrap-up the family Trammel saga?

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Miss Brill said:
I watched the first 3/4 of Perfume a couple days ago. I didn't like it at all. It isn't nothing but a guy sniiffing stuff. [huh] It is not interesting to watch someone going around smelling the air, or his hands, or dead bodies, or anything.

I was amazed by that film...not by the character as much, although I was fascinated by his psychosis and how it changed his world, but by the sensory images throughout the movie. I've rarely sat through a film that could make me feel the images so soundly. Ah well, different strokes...!

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Miss Brill said:

I never bothered to see it, because I liked the book a great deal, and didn't want to ruin it by seeing the movie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97