Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Last night, In This Our Life, with Bette Davis, Olivia DeHavilland, dir. John Huston. Davis did such rotten characters so well.

Dead Ringer and The Anniversary are 2 good examples of that.

Tonight it was Dear Murderer.
A British mystery about a man who murders his wife's lovers.
With a young Hazel Court, a future Hammer Horror star.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion, in some cases a musical score can make a movie less enjoyable. The Universal "Legacy Collection" DVD release of Dracula (1931) included a musical score by Phillip Glass. Dracula is a movie with little dialogue by comparison to other movies of the era. So, while Glass' score was well done, it's so invasive that it tends to overwhelm the movie and make the viewing experience similar to that of watching a silent movie. Now, I love silent movies, but Glass' score gives Dracula a very different "atmosphere"; not a change for the better as far as I'm concerned, and I don't even consider myself a fan of the movie.

Hmm...was considering going to the symphony here in Fort Worth next week & seeing them play this score along with the film. Think I'll pass. lol

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Raw Hide" - Must be Tyrone Power's birthday... they're showing him all night on TCM. Never saw this oater... pretty good. He'll be playing Zorro in about an hour......

"And you handle a sword like a devil from hell!"

Worf

Last edited:

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
"The Longest Day" (All Star Cast telling the story of D-Day. I especially appreciate the fact the Germans speak German, the French speak French and the Fuehrer has taken a sleeping pill)

Hmm...was considering going to the symphony here in Fort Worth next week & seeing them play this score along with the film. Think I'll pass. lol
Please don't take my word for it. After all, it's only my opinion, and you might prefer it with Glass' score. Besides, having seen numerous silent movies with live accompaniment I can say from experience that watching a movie with the musical score played live is a lot of fun!

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
"The Magnificent Seven"

A ton of great scenes in this one, but my favorite exchange will always be (following gun shots) McQueen: You elected? Bryner: No, but I was nominated real good. (as he removes a cigar from his mouth - a cigar that has had the end shot off while clenched in Yul's teeth)

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Please don't take my word for it. After all, it's only my opinion, and you might prefer it with Glass' score. Besides, having seen numerous silent movies with live accompaniment I can say from experience that watching a movie with the musical score played live is a lot of fun!

I'll see if I can get there at all. lol But, I'm sure it won't be nearly as awesome as when I saw various Looney Tunes accompanied by live music. :)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
For a little change of atmosphère I watched Hôtel Du Nord

Hard to beat the style of Louis Jouvert, the voice of Arletty and the lovely visage of Annabella.

[video=youtube;6DKI0EP-RMA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DKI0EP-RMA[/video]

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Friday night's all this month, TCM is showing Hammer Horror movies.
While I've seen most of these, I'll watch them again.
Especially The Tomb of Ligeia with Vincent Price.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
TCM?! I am going to have to find what channel that is here for tonight. :D

Well the first one is an AIP film, I forgot that Price was an AIP actor.
Burn Witch Burn....seen it.
The Tomb of Ligeia is still a good one, and The Seventh Victim although done in 1943 does look interesting as well.
None with Lee though. :(

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Burn Witch Burn" - B-minus - Solid psychological thriller. Had me on the edge. I'd never seen it before. Good casting, great underrated effects and a good romp all round. Plot got a bit dodgy at the end but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay