Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
...and, A Dog's Life, a Chaplin short, while the ladies were out shopping; also in there somewhere The Last Outpost, with Cary Grant, Claude Raines, and quite a bit of the 1925 documentary Grass, about the migration of tribal herdsman to pastures in the Persian mountains; it'd been about ten years since the movie was out and I guess Paramount figured no one would remember.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Not really a movie, but several short films put together, about train safety.
It was put out by Santa Fe railroad, from the 50's through the 70's.
Very interesting look at trains back then, and safety problems.

Frankenstein (1931). On the big screen, at the same theater where we saw Casablanca two weeks ago. Some scenes still drew gasps from audience members; not bad for a horror movie that's been around for 82 years.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Frankenstein (1931). On the big screen, at the same theater where we saw Casablanca two weeks ago. Some scenes still drew gasps from audience members; not bad for a horror movie that's been around for 82 years.
Still a great movie.
I wanted to watch it last night, but I'd have to pay for it on amazon instant video, and Netflix didn't have it for streaming.
Oh I've got it on dvd, as part of a classic horror pack years ago. If I find it, I'll take a pic.
I guess I'll dig that out tonight, because it also has the Mummy, and while he's not going to run up and get you without you being able to get away, he's still scary. :p

Still a great movie...
I concur. It's one of my all-time favorite movies, and certainly my favorite of the classic Universal horror movies. The Universal "Legacy Collection" DVD sets were/are a great way to collect these movies simply because they included the relevant sequels (in addition to some nice mini-documentaries); I wish they had taken as much care with the Blu-Ray releases.

Speaking of which, this particular theater projects the Blu-Ray versions of these classic movies. And, of course, with the images cleaned up, on a movie screen you tend to see some of the "flaws" in the filmmaking processes of the day; ripples in the "sky painted onto a canvas backdrop" on some of the sets, for example. But one thing that is consistently flawless is Jack Pierce's makeup--you honestly can't tell where the makeup ends and Karloff begins.

Feraud

Bartender

My wife and I caught a screening of Frankenstein in 2011 at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY introduced by Sara Karloff. Sara spoke about her father and her effort to keep his cinema legacy alive. Everyone had a great time.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I caught a screening of Frankenstein in 2011 at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY introduced by Sara Karloff. Sara spoke about her father and her effort to keep his cinema legacy alive. Everyone had a great time.

Saw this for the first time some time last year. I'm surprised it took me as long as it did to notice that there was no music in the film.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Scream And Scream Again.
I chose THIS over Lady Frankenstein?
Price, Lee, and Cushing are in it, but briefly.
It's more like a spy flick, mystery, and horror all in one.
Nice view of England in the early 70's though.

Saw this for the first time some time last year. I'm surprised it took me as long as it did to notice that there was no music in the film.
It's one of the few movies I can think of that is so engrossing and atmospheric that it really doesn't need a *musical score. What I find amusing is that Universal spent so much money on the score for The Bride of Frankenstein that they re-used it (in various forms) in as many subsequent movies as they could get away with.

*By the way, there is a relatively brief scene in Frankenstein with music--the people in the village celebrating the pending marriage of Henry and Elizabeth, just prior to the introduction of "little Maria" and her father.

Last edited:

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
It's one of the few movies I can think of that is so engrossing and atmospheric that it really doesn't need a *musical score. What I find amusing is that Universal spent so much money on the score for The Bride of Frankenstein that they re-used it (in various forms) in as many subsequent movies as they could get away with.

*By the way, there is a relatively brief scene in Frankenstein with music--the people in the village celebrating the pending marriage of Henry and Elizabeth, just prior to the introduction of "little Maria" and her father.

Interesting to know. :) Funny how we're all so used to hearing a musical score with a film that it's noticed when it's gone.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Cinema Komunisto

A brilliant documentary on Yugoslavia and its film industry during the Tito era.
In Serbian with English subs.
If you are interested in film history this is for you, made up with interviews from Tito's projectionist and others involved in the film industry, tours of the crumbling Avala studios and sets. Avala made some well known English language films including The Long ships and Kelly's Hero's among others.

...Funny how we're all so used to hearing a musical score with a film that it's noticed when it's gone.
In my opinion, in some cases a musical score can make a movie less enjoyable. The Universal "Legacy Collection" DVD release of Dracula (1931) included a musical score by Phillip Glass. Dracula is a movie with little dialogue by comparison to other movies of the era. So, while Glass' score was well done, it's so invasive that it tends to overwhelm the movie and make the viewing experience similar to that of watching a silent movie. Now, I love silent movies, but Glass' score gives Dracula a very different "atmosphere"; not a change for the better as far as I'm concerned, and I don't even consider myself a fan of the movie.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Midshipman Easy (1935) starring Margaret Lockwood and Hughie Green. For the Brits among you, yes that's Hughie Green of Opportunity Knocks fame (for the youngsters among you, he was the Simon Cowell of the 1970s).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic