Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Les Yeux Sans Visage (Eyes Without a Face) 1960

Grotesquely creepy. Bleak. Fantastic.

I'd been waiting more than 30 years to see this and wanted to wait to see it in the cinema rather than on DVD. It was worth the wait.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The last newest Star Trek snorer.
And yet you were still awake at 1:56am?
Have your staff draw your bath earlier....:D

Viva Knievel wasn't a bad movie.
Wasn't a good movie either, but Gene Kelly did a wonderful job of bringing some acting talent to this "Evel Advertisement Show" as I call it.
Lauren Hutton was in her prime, as this was just a few years before American Gigilo, and Leslie Nielson was great as a bad guy.
Just 3 years later his career would have a resurgence in one of my favorite films of all times, Airplane.
Since this was a Rifftrax version of Viva Knievel, the phrase "and don't call me Shirley" did come out a few times. As did references to
Nordberg, and of course Enrico Pallazzo. :D

And yet you were still awake at 1:56am?
Have your staff draw your bath earlier....:D

Viva Knievel wasn't a bad movie.
Wasn't a good movie either, but Gene Kelly did a wonderful job of bringing some acting talent to this "Evel Advertisement Show" as I call it.
Lauren Hutton was in her prime, as this was just a few years before American Gigilo, and Leslie Nielson was great as a bad guy.
Just 3 years later his career would have a resurgence in one of my favorite films of all times, Airplane.
Since this was a Rifftrax version of Viva Knievel, the phrase "and don't call me Shirley" did come out a few times. As did references to
Nordberg, and of course Enrico Pallazzo. :D
I am on the other coast. Adjust for the time difference. :p It was ok with me as I had a decent cigar and some Redbreast while watching it with my best friend. :p

It was actually a theatrical remake of a live TV drama that had aired a year earlier. Rod Serling was already becoming famous for his teleplays at the time (at least to knowledgeable fans of TV drama and the critics), but he was not yet the household name that he'd become after Twilight Zone aired for a while.

Is it well known? Well, to Serling fans it's pretty well known. (Personally, having grown up watching TZ - starting with my parents during its last two seasons of original airing - and having read two biographies of Serling, I've known about it forever.) But I doubt that the "general public" even knows about the much-better-known "Executive Suite" nowadays - the fifties is seriously ancient history to today's "mainstream audience" (if such a thing even exists anymore!)

Thank you - a lot of good information.

It is one me and my Lady were planning on watching. The review is appreciated.
:D

I hope you enjoy it. I've always been so-so on Rush - mainly because of the roles he plays. I have a completely new level of respect for him after this movie. The whole cast really is fantastic. I hope we get that one in the mail as I could watch it again.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Blonde Inspiration (1941) dir. Busby Berkeley, with John Shelton (of whom I had never heard before) and Virginia Grey. Reveals its stage roots with a lot of the action taking place in a suite where the characters barge in and out. It may also have been a cost-cutting move.

Currently about a third of the way into The Hucksters with Clark Gable, Deborah Kerr, Sidney Greenstreet, Adolphe Menjou, and a host of others. Gable's db has lapels big enough to land planes on.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Destroyer" - C - Edward G. Robinson in the standard mid-war boiler about a re-tread from the WWI obsessed with bringing the latest version of his old ship.. The John Paul Jones, into fighting trim. It would've been a better film without the romance between a VERY young Glen Ford and Robinson's daughter. The highlight of the film is a scene where Robinson recounts the battle Johns fought in French cast-off Bon Homme Richard against a far superior English 44 Gun Frigate. This scene is Robinson at his finest. At one point his voice breaks and his lips quiver as he tells new recruits that believe their current ship in jinxed that:

"A ship is like a woman... you marry her for better or worse. You don't run out on her when the going gets tough!"

That scene alone was worth the price of admission.

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Jurassic Park, the Rifftrax version.
I also have Cloverfield on deck, not sure what this is, some sort of scary movie I think.
I got the Rifftrax version because it's supposed to be really funny (the commenters and not the movie).

I hope you enjoy it. I've always been so-so on Rush - mainly because of the roles he plays. I have a completely new level of respect for him after this movie. The whole cast really is fantastic. I hope we get that one in the mail as I could watch it again.

I have always found Rush to be a darn good and very entertaining actor. He is one of the reasons I was attracted to the movie.
:D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
"Destroyer" - C - Edward G. Robinson in the standard mid-war boiler about a re-tread from the WWI obsessed with bringing the latest version of his old ship.. The John Paul Jones, into fighting trim. It would've been a better film without the romance between a VERY young Glen Ford and Robinson's daughter. The highlight of the film is a scene where Robinson recounts the battle Johns fought in French cast-off Bon Homme Richard against a far superior English 44 Gun Frigate. This scene is Robinson at his finest. At one point his voice breaks and his lips quiver as he tells new recruits that believe their current ship in jinxed that:

"A ship is like a woman... you marry her for better or worse. You don't run out on her when the going gets tough!"

That scene alone was worth the price of admission.

Worf

Robinson spouting that line would be worth the price of admission.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Finished watching Hound of the Baskervilles starring Ian Richardson. It's a solid film and quite satisfying, although it does go a bit too fast and it suffers from the problem which all adaptations of Hound suffer, i.e. the hero is only in the film for a short period at the start and end. I'm hoping the other Holmes movie starring Richardson, Sign of Four, which I have on order, will give Richardson the screen time he deserves in this role.

Llewyn Davis.
Well done, but honestly, I hated every character except the cats. I think that was their intent. Not sure. Actually, Justin Timberlake was very likable. Wifey liked it much more.

Captain Phillips. Man, that's a ride. Tom Hanks does an outstanding job. His closing scene had even men crying. Epic and they managed macho Navy Seal scenes without being stupid. That is,they were restrained and powerful. Recommended for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80