Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Feraud

Bartender
I vote for "Black Legion"! Serious topic... serious film

Worf
I second that vote. A powerful topic then and now.

One thing I found interesting and lacking, there's NO discussion of Milius' family life. He obviously had kids, they're interviewed in the documentary, but NO mention of a wife, or who the mother of his children was or their relationship is broached. More'n likely his "larger than life" personae and frequent trips on location... might have led to a troubled domestic life.

Worf

I too noticed there was little talk about his family life. Hard to tell if the topic was off limits due to whatever image Milius wants to portray, legitimate privacy issues, or if there is genuine strive involved. Possibly a bit of everything..

Ugh. The Big Sleep. It lives up to it's name for me. :sleep:
I find this movie has great scenes but the overall story lacks cohesion.

You have done well then. On to The Man with Bogart's Face. :p
I'm guessing they won't be showing that on TCM any time soon. lol

...There is still the 1945 version of the Big Sleep with Bogart.
Many scenes not included in the '46 version.
So bring some :pop2:: ~ :beer: & ENJOY !
I've seen both the '45 and '46 versions; in fact, the '45 version was the one I saw first. I like them both, but I think the '45 version is slightly better.

Be sure to watch "Petrified Forest"
I'll be on the lookout for it...oh, there it is in post #16664! lol

Uh no but Sacchi does an amazing job of bringing Bogart back to life in modern times. It is kind of eerie. The other characters are hilarious in the sense that you have a Peter Lore type, a Sydney Greenstreet type and others. Oh just watch it for free here. :p
http://youtu.be/G1sobZLnOKU
Thanks!

Zombie 61 - "Key Largo" is on TCM Saturday June 21st at 6pm. Enjoy and report back.
Way ahead of you--it's already programmed into our DVR. :D But thank you for the heads-up! :yo:

By the way, for anyone who gets Jewish Life TV, on June 19th they're airing an episode of The Jack Benny Program with Bogart as the guest star. DirecTV has it listed at 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time, but they seem to have their own schedule that's generally 3 hours earlier than everyone else here on the west coast so I'd look for it at 6:00 p.m. on whichever cable/satellite system you have.

Last edited:
Just watched "June Bride" with Betty Davis and Robert Montgomery. It felt like a very early version (and it was, it's 1948) of all those 1950s "battle of the sexes" romantic comedies where, for some contrived reason - work, family, silly confusion, misunderstanding - the two cute people who do / will / should love each other wind up initially hating each other and, then, are thrown together through another contrived reason(s) for the rest of the movie until they figure out they belong together. The formula works well for what it is - "Pillow Talk" and "A Touch of Mink" - despite their flaws, are pretty good versions and "Desk Set" is probably my favorite of these. "June Bride" doesn't really work as there isn't a lot of chemistry between the two actors, so you are not really engaged in the "suspense" of seeing how they'll get together in the end. And all the subplots are just okay at best. That said, individually, I like both stars, so that was fun. It's a throw-away movie to watch if you have some down time, like the stars and don't want to work hard during the movie.

Feraud

Bartender
By the way, for anyone who gets Jewish Life TV, on June 19th they're airing an episode of The Jack Benny Program with Bogart as the guest star. DirecTV has it listed at 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time, but they seem to have their own schedule that's generally 3 hours earlier than everyone else here on the west coast so I'd look for it at 6:00 p.m. on whichever cable/satellite system you have.
Thanks for the tip!

Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957)
Flying saucers, little green men with big googly heads, teenage hotrodders, and BOOZE!!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"Jamaica Inn",(1939). Adapted from Daphne du Maurier's 1936 novel, and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. With Charles Laughton in a very unsympathetic role and a young Maureen O'Hara.

"Jamaica Inn",(1939). Adapted from Daphne du Maurier's 1936 novel, and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. With Charles Laughton in a very unsympathetic role and a young Maureen O'Hara.

I really enjoyed Daphne du Maurier's novel and the movie (also directed by Hitchcock) "Rebecca," but found reading "Jamaica Inn" painfully slow and, hence, never watched the movie. Have you seen or read "Rebecca?" How does it compare to "Jamaica Inn?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou