Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

cw3pa

A-List Customer
I really enjoyed Daphne du Maurier's novel and the movie (also directed by Hitchcock) "Rebecca," but found reading "Jamaica Inn" painfully slow and, hence, never watched the movie. Have you seen or read "Rebecca?" How does it compare to "Jamaica Inn?"
I've read and seen "Rebecca". I'd have to say that "Rebecca" was both a better story and movie than "Jamaica Inn", however Hitchcock may have had a better production budget and studio for "Rebecca" since it was a Selznick production and shot near Big Sur. If you get a chance to watch "Jamaica Inn" I'd take it. You might be able to stream it off the internet.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
"Jamaica Inn",(1939). Adapted from Daphne du Maurier's 1936 novel, and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. With Charles Laughton in a very unsympathetic role and a young Maureen O'Hara.

Just recently re-watched "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" for about the 200th time. One of my favorite lines in the whole movie is when Charles Laughton (in a clip taken from The Bribe) asks Rigby Reardon (Steve Martin) "Do you know who I could be, Mr. Rigby?" to which Martin replies, "Hunchback of Notre Dame?". That one always gets me no matter how many times I've seen it.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957)
Flying saucers, little green men with big googly heads, teenage hotrodders, and BOOZE!!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
I agree, it doesn't get much better than that.
Bad dialogue too? Then you have what could be the perfect movie. :D

Godzilla's Revenge.
A veritable cornucopia of men in rubber monster suits.
My 3 year old son loved it.

Black Sunday
Barbara Steele...woo woo
She was looking a little young and crazy in this early (1960) Italian schlocker

I've read and seen "Rebecca". I'd have to say that "Rebecca" was both a better story and movie than "Jamaica Inn", however Hitchcock may have had a better production budget and studio for "Rebecca" since it was a Selznick production and shot near Big Sur. If you get a chance to watch "Jamaica Inn" I'd take it. You might be able to stream it off the internet.

Thank you, will do. I own the "collector's edition" or something like that of Rebecca and it is interesting to see the extras, in particular, how many stars auditioned for the lead female role. I always thought Joan Fontaine nailed it and that "Rebecca" and "Suspicion" are her two best movies, but just from the screen test you can see how each star would have altered the character slightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou