Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Feraud

Bartender
Which one--the movies, the live action television series, or the animated television series?

*stands up* Hi, my name's Al, and I'm a movie geek. :wave:

Hmmm how many disks? How many films? Just the old 70's stuff I assume? When can I borrow it? :D

Worf

Sorry to be so vague. From one movie geek to a few more. ;)
It's the Planet of the Apes Legacy Collection on blu-ray. It has five discs with the originals.
Planet of the Apes
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Escape from the Planet of the Apes
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Battle for the Planet of the Apes
Plus a documentary.
It's available on Amazon but I found this copy discounted at Target for around 25 bucks.

Worf, if you're ever in Queens we can marathon through the set!

I *LOVED* all those classic Planet of the Apes movies, as well as the T.V. series and cartoon, when I was growing up, and still find them enjoyable (esp. the first two) but I was so enormously underwhelmed byTim Burton's reboot that I have never even bothered to move on to any of the other newer ones.
And to be fair to Tim Burton, I have immensely enjoyed nearly every other movie he's done.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Which one--the movies, the live action television series, or the animated television series?

*stands up* Hi, my name's Al, and I'm a movie geek. :wave:

Well, you learn something new every day! I had no idea there was an animated version in the mid 70s. I even, sat through the action TV version. I watched a few episodes a while back, yep, as bad as I remember! Still, brought a smile to my face, and isn't that what it's all a bought?

Well, you learn something new every day! I had no idea there was an animated version in the mid 70s...
I've never seen it myself, but I've heard from fans that it's a little more faithful to Pierre Boulle's original novel (which I've never read) than the movies were (i.e., the apes are more advanced technologically).

Back to the main topic, Houdini (2014) with Adrien Brody and Kristen Connolly. Not horrible, but not great either. At least they presented Houdini as being realistic and honest about the fact that he was an illusionist and that everything he did was a trick. As for the rest... [huh]

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
"Only Angels Have Wings" (1939) starring Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Rita Hayworth and Richard Barthelmess. Directed by Howard Hawks.

Well above average movie. Very enjoyable! Cary Grant is great (as is the entire cast). Jean Arthur and Rita Hayworth are as beautiful as ever.

- Ian

"Only Angels Have Wings" (1939) starring Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Rita Hayworth and Richard Barthelmess. Directed by Howard Hawks.

Well above average movie. Very enjoyable! Cary Grant is great (as is the entire cast). Jean Arthur and Rita Hayworth are as beautiful as ever.

- Ian

Ian, this is a copy of my last post in the "Under-appreciated Classics" Thread:

"Both good movies, but you are probably highlighting the need for a new thread: under-appreciated actors and actresses of whom Jean Arthur would be near or at the top of the list. "Only Angels have Wings" is my favorite of hers - also an under-appreciated classic."

While it definitely has a dated feel in production style, the acting and general quality of the story so make up for it that I don't understand why it isn't more respected.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Ian, this is a copy of my last post in the "Under-appreciated Classics" Thread:

"Both good movies, but you are probably highlighting the need for a new thread: under-appreciated actors and actresses of whom Jean Arthur would be near or at the top of the list. "Only Angels have Wings" is my favorite of hers - also an under-appreciated classic."

While it definitely has a dated feel in production style, the acting and general quality of the story so make up for it that I don't understand why it isn't more respected.

I didn't realize (or I guess I forgot) that it was underappreciated. I had heard of it before, but had never seen a second of it. Though, in my case, that doesn't mean too much.

I'm glad that I saw it. It was well worth the time.

- Ian

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Vampire Bat, done around the same time as The Revenge of Doctor X.
Both with Lionell Atwill, and Fay Wray.
And like RODX, this one too had a weird color to it, as they were experimenting with different media at the time.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Parachute Jumper from 1933, with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Bette Davis, Frank McHugh, Leo G. Carillo, many more. Lots of snappy dialogue, with Davis playing a Southern lady in NYC. Fun aerial footage.

Today, Tension, from about 1948, with Richard Basehart, Audrey Trotter, Gene Barry, and Robert (Matt Dillon) Conrad. Odd combo of noir, procedural, and whodunnit. The investigation techniques of Gene Barry's homicide lieutenant are questionable.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Drive-In (1976)
Not a bad film, not the best I've seen of course.
But the soundtrack is awesome.
Jerry Reed, The Statler Bros, George Jones and Tammy Wynette, Merle Haggard, Ronnie Milsap, Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty, Stonewall Jackson, and Johnny Paycheck.
A few great cars, and girls with feathered hair and shapely...uh Coke t-shirts. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn