Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

And....The Avengers: Age of Ultron lived up to my expectations. I wouldn't say it is necessarily better than the first Avengers movie - but I would say they are equal in how good they are.
A good friend whose opinion I trust said pretty much the same thing; "It was at least as good as the first one." I'm going to wait until the crowds die down a bit before I go to see it myself.

Where you live? I believe it. :p
Yeah, you get the freak show, I get the nitwits and morons. lol

I'm currently watching a Dirty Harry marathon on AMC--all five movies with the good parts censored, and the first three are still better than most of what's on the other 50,000 channels.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1955) with Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day. About once a month or so we get together with another family for a meal and a movie. We've gone through several Hitchcock films: it was recommended and endorsed that we do a Mickey Rooney-Judy Garland movie next time for a change of pace.

That's a good one. Nothing wrong with adding some variety into your programing, but there are a lot of Hitchcock movies to go through.

In addition to all the "big" ones - "North by Northwest," To Catch a Thief," etc. you can go back to his '40s ones like "Notorious" and "Suspicion" and even earlier with "The Lady Vanishes," and "Sabotage" or "The 39 Steps," plus many, many more. When one looks it up, it is amazing how many outstanding movies he made.

It sounds like you guys have a fun monthly get together.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Ace of Hearts, 1921, with Lon Chaney. I had never sat through a whole silent film before (with the exception of Chaplin's movies, which I love), but this one kept me riveted.

Ace of Hearts, 1921, with Lon Chaney. I had never sat through a whole silent film before (with the exception of Chaplin's movies, which I love), but this one kept me riveted.
I consider myself fortunate to have seen a number of silent movies in theaters (four or five featuring or starring Mr. Chaney), many with live accompaniment rather than a pre-recorded musical score. If you ever have the opportunity, I highly recommend it.

Last night TCM aired several silent shorts produced and directed by Mack Sennett for the Keystone Film Company, primarily featuring Barney Oldfield and Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle. One, titled The Knockout (1914), featured Arbuckle ("Pug") in a boxing match against Edgar Kennedy ("Cyclone Flynn"). Chaplin, who had not yet branched out on his own, played The Referee and it was fairly easy to see how he would become one of the most well-known stars of the era.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I consider myself fortunate to have seen a number of silent movies in theaters (four or five featuring or starring Mr. Chaney), many with live accompaniment rather than a pre-recorded musical score. If you ever have the opportunity, I highly recommend it.

Last night TCM aired several silent shorts produced and directed by Mack Sennett for the Keystone Film Company, primarily featuring Barney Oldfield and Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle. One, titled The Knockout (1914), featured Arbuckle ("Pug") in a boxing match against Edgar Kennedy ("Cyclone Flynn"). Chaplin, who had not yet branched out on his own, played The Referee and it was fairly easy to see how he would become one of the most well-known stars of the era.
I wish I lived in an area where we had a theater like that now. I lived in the bay area for many years and I really enjoyed the Stanford theater for all the great old movies.

I also saw those silent ones last night, too. I love TCM for their silent Sunday nights.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I am a little biased, since he was born in my home town, but, he was really a genius. Way ahead of his times! Imagine what he could do with today's special effects. He really could have played a thousand characters in one movie!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Two on a Guillotine, 1965, with Connie Stevens and Dean Jones, directed by William Conrad (yes, of "Nero Wolfe" and a million voiceovers fame). It features a grand performance by Virginia Gregg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff