Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
SDo you think Seversky changed the company name to avoid any "Soviet overtones"?

Worf

No. What happened is, in 1939 Seversky found himself $550,000 in dept, so the board of directors voted him out, and reorganized the company as The Republic Aviation Corporation. Sad end, for a great man! Remember, a few years later Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky came along and made aviation history in the U.S., so Russian names were not a big deal.

Living With Lincoln (2015). "Narrated by director Peter Kunhardt, LIVING WITH LINCOLN chronicles how five generations of one American family have shared the “glorious burden” of collecting, preserving and documenting a vital archive relating to Abraham Lincoln. Beginning with great-grandfather Frederick Hill Meserve, Kunhardt’s family collected photographs that might have been lost forever, including now-iconic portraits used on the penny, the five-dollar bill and even the image used to create Lincoln’s likeness on Mount Rushmore."

The focus of this documentary is definitely more on Kunhardt's ancestors and the often-obsessive fascination they had with Lincoln than on Lincoln himself, but I still found it interesting.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Station Agent" - Great, quiet independent film (or at least it feels like one). Peter Dinklage is marvelous as a shy reclusive train geek that inherits a rundown abandoned train station in New Jersey. Naturally reclusive because of his size, he's slowly and beautifully drawn back to life by the strange people he meets who simply will not let him molder in silence. Well spent hour and a half.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
No. What happened is, in 1939 Seversky found himself $550,000 in dept, so the board of directors voted him out, and reorganized the company as The Republic Aviation Corporation. Sad end, for a great man! Remember, a few years later Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky came along and made aviation history in the U.S., so Russian names were not a big deal.

Thanks for that! You're aces!

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That's a GREAT little flick. Besides Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson and Bobby Canavale are also wonderful in it.

"The Station Agent" - Great, quiet independent film (or at least it feels like one). Peter Dinklage is marvelous as a shy reclusive train geek that inherits a rundown abandoned train station in New Jersey. Naturally reclusive because of his size, he's slowly and beautifully drawn back to life by the strange people he meets who simply will not let him molder in silence. Well spent hour and a half.

Worf

The Petrified Forest (1936). Leslie Howard, Bette Davis, and Humphrey Bogart starring in the movie that put Bogart on the road to becoming one of the most popular actors of the era. Howard and Bogart are brilliant, no doubt the result of having honed their respective characters to perfection in the Broadway production, but I didn't find Davis believable in her role. Admittedly, I don't care for Davis and this may have biased my opinion, but her half-shouted dialogue and affected Mid-Atlantic accent seemed out-of-place for a person who allegedly lived most of her life in Arizona. That said, she and Howard had some on-screen chemistry, so I suppose that counts for something.

The Petrified Forest (1936). Leslie Howard, Bette Davis, and Humphrey Bogart starring in the movie that put Bogart on the road to becoming one of the most popular actors of the era. Howard and Bogart are brilliant, no doubt the result of having honed their respective characters to perfection in the Broadway production, but I didn't find Davis believable in her role. Admittedly, I don't care for Davis and this may have biased my opinion, but her half-shouted dialogue and affected Mid-Atlantic accent seemed out-of-place for a person who allegedly lived most of her life in Arizona. That said, she and Howard had some on-screen chemistry, so I suppose that counts for something.

A gem of a movie. Howard is a wonderful actor - understated, not the typical physical mold of a leading man but he has some inner quality that makes it work anyway. Even though I love it, I haven't seen it in several years, so Davis' performance isn't fresh in my mind, but while a talented actress, she has a tendency to over-act / over-emote IMHO.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
A gem of a movie. Howard is a wonderful actor - understated, not the typical physical mold of a leading man but he has some inner quality that makes it work anyway. Even though I love it, I haven't seen it in several years, so Davis' performance isn't fresh in my mind, but while a talented actress, she has a tendency to over-act / over-emote IMHO.

One of my very favorites.

When I was a kid the one thing I wanted more than anything in the world was a Super 8 movie camera. I dreamed of making an epic film with it but after seeing this film I am so glad that it never happened. :doh::p

I never knew that Sicilian villages look a lot like Midwestern farmhouses.

[video=youtube;DQLDN6huKF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQLDN6huKF8[/video]

Last edited:
Last night was Suddenly (1954). It takes a little time to find it's feet, but once it does it hits the ground running. Sinatra's hit man John Baron is both charming and menacing, and Sinatra and Hayden (Sheriff Tod Shaw) work effectively with each other to ratchet up the tension. Vaguely similar to The Petrified Forest, but not quite as effective in my opinion.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
When I was a kid the one thing I wanted more than anything in the world was a Super 8 movie camera. I dreamed of making an epic film with it but after seeing this film I am so glad that it never happened. :doh::p

I never knew that Sicilian villages look a lot like Midwestern farmhouses.

[video=youtube;DQLDN6huKF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQLDN6huKF8[/video]

No! That's way off. That is more the style of Maranello. In fact, Enzo Ferrari had a house just like that! :p

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Last night was Suddenly (1954). It takes a little time to find it's feet, but once it does it hits the ground running. Sinatra's hit man John Baron is both charming and menacing, and Sinatra and Hayden (Sheriff Tod Shaw) work effectively with each other to ratchet up the tension.

With regards to this movie, which I watched recently,
I saw it for the first time at a drive-in theater in the 50s.
Watching it again & others from this time period,
I'm now more aware of the clothes, cars & places
than I was then...some would say this is being nostalgic. :p

hatguy1

One Too Many
"Fury." I didn't get to see "Fury" in the theaters. But I passed an endcap this morning with it available on DVD, so I bought it and watched it this evening.

Now that I've watched it, I'm not sure if it was a good or bad movie. Let me prep my comments with the realization that I am not a military or combat veteran, so perhaps that blinds me to certain things.

I get the whole "war is truly hell" theme that was going on throughout. I'm not sure though if "War Daddy" wasn't just a bit too over the top - particularly about the execution of the unarmed prisoner when surrounded by so many troops. While I don't doubt that there was little sympathy for the other side amongst the vets on the line, I just can't imagine such an outright murder of an unarmed prisoner and the whole forcing the newbie to hold the gun and shoot him in the back would've been so unhindered by the dozens of guys around the event.

All that having been said, the movie got a little better plot-wise after that. Not sure the whole forced breakfast, forced sex was all that believable - especially the young ladies affection for the young soldier after the sex.

As for the ending, if I'm not mistaken, that was a Waffen SS division they fought at the crossroads. My understanding was the Waffen SS was a pretty fanatical group of Nazis. I'm questioning if after such a fierce battle against one tank crew wherein so many of their kamerads had been killed, if that one Waffen SS soldier who found "machine" unarmed and hiding under the tank would've simply let him go like that.

And, while I have far from "virgin ears," I think the audience could have understood the stress of combat with at least a little less profanity in each battle scene. I almost thought the director must've had a quota for cuss words he had to have the cast say to get his cut of the money or something.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts after viewing my new DVD of "Fury." Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy