Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Fury."

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

I saw this movie on youtube tonight.
Although the cinematography & acting is fine.
The plot & cliched characters is awful.

I saw the French-dubbed version .
I understand enough French but not to the point that
the profanity was as effective as if I had heard it in
English. :p
33oqipu.png

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Asphalt Jungle (1950). An interesting story told at a somewhat leisurely pace and featuring excellent performances throughout. The Commissioner's pro-police speech near the end of the movie is a little heavy-handed, but that's a minor quibble.

One of my favorites. Notice it's visually dark until Dix Handley makes it to the end. What names... Alonzo Emerich, Doll Conover , Doc Erwin Riedenschneider...

"Fury." I didn't get to see "Fury" in the theaters. But I passed an endcap this morning with it available on DVD, so I bought it and watched it this evening.

Now that I've watched it, I'm not sure if it was a good or bad movie. Let me prep my comments with the realization that I am not a military or combat veteran, so perhaps that blinds me to certain things.

I get the whole "war is truly hell" theme that was going on throughout. I'm not sure though if "War Daddy" wasn't just a bit too over the top - particularly about the execution of the unarmed prisoner when surrounded by so many troops. While I don't doubt that there was little sympathy for the other side amongst the vets on the line, I just can't imagine such an outright murder of an unarmed prisoner and the whole forcing the newbie to hold the gun and shoot him in the back would've been so unhindered by the dozens of guys around the event...
I've never been in the military either, but I've heard enough stories from those who have to lead me to believe this sequence was at least plausible.

What I had some difficulty believing was the effect that event had on Norman (the "newbie"). From one scene to the next he goes from "battle virgin" to "jaded killer"??? I thought that transformation happened far too quickly and easily, and I didn't quite buy it.

Just watched "The Odd Couple". Was really disappointed with the ending. I guess I have to see part 2
No, you really don't.

I saw "Fury" a few weeks ago and thought - well done, but I've seen this movie before be it "Saving Private Ryan" or one of the other very graphic war-is-hell movies that have been made since, at least, the '80s. I didn't feel it brought anything new or fresh to the narrative, so I basically watched a few hours of the horror of war up close. Okay, but again, would have been a much better movie if the movie had brought a new perspective or story or angle that advanced my understanding of war-is-hell.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Incredible 2 Headed Transplant with Bruce Dern, Pat Priest, and Casey Kasem.
I've seen the original, but this is the Rifftrax version.
Much better.
Love the Eldorado Kasem has in the movie, very nice.
Also watched The Sons of Hercules (Rifftrax), okay but not their best effort.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Palmy Days" (1931), the second of the Eddie Cantor musical comedy extravaganzas produced by Samuel Goldwyn. Not as lavish as "Whoopee," its immediate predecessor, but much funnier -- as befits any picture where Cantor is romantically paired with Charlotte Greenwood. "Bend Down, Sister" is the musical hit of the show, a snappy ode to the value of exercise and diet featuring the immortal line "Ham and eggs should always be on the outside looking in!"

"Palmy Days" (1931), the second of the Eddie Cantor musical comedy extravaganzas produced by Samuel Goldwyn. Not as lavish as "Whoopee," its immediate predecessor, but much funnier -- as befits any picture where Cantor is romantically paired with Charlotte Greenwood. "Bend Down, Sister" is the musical hit of the show, a snappy ode to the value of exercise and diet featuring the immortal line "Ham and eggs should always be on the outside looking in!"

Are you screening it or did you catch it on TCM or somewhere else?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All the Cantor-Goldwyn pictures are now available on DVD thru the Warner Archive. A release that's long, long overdue.

One of the advantages of being a theatre manager is that you have the biggest of big screens available for private after-hours screenings. I don't get many perks in my job, but that's one of them.

All the Cantor-Goldwyn pictures are now available on DVD thru the Warner Archive. A release that's long, long overdue.

One of the advantages of being a theatre manager is that you have the biggest of big screens available for private after-hours screenings. I don't get many perks in my job, but that's one of them.

Fantastic - that is quite a nice perk.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
John Carter. Not your usual Disney fair. Based on the story "John Carter Of Mars", by Edgar Rice Burroughs and his son John. I almost didn't watch it, I recorded it back on the beginning of March. Glad I did though! [video=youtube;6Rf55GTEZ_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf55GTEZ_E[/video]

Worf

I'll Lock Up
John Carter. Not your usual Disney fair. Based on the story "John Carter Of Mars", by Edgar Rice Burroughs and his son John. I almost didn't watch it, I recorded it back on the beginning of March. Glad I did though! [video=youtube;6Rf55GTEZ_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf55GTEZ_E[/video]

Being more'n passing familiar with the Burroughs novels I found the movie quite enjoyable. The film was a minor bust primarily because of poor marketing by Disney... why leave the word "Mars" out of the title? Why not sell it for the fantasy it is?

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW