Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Hitchcock
Very like able. The costumes were spot on. The one problem I had was the camera motion was a bit fast moving. The film felt rushed, also would've loved to see more wider shots. Way to many close ups. Other then that, the story line was well written the actors and actress did a wonderful job. The person play Hitchcock did not look like the real Alfred Hitchcock but did sound so much like Mr. Hitchcock. There were so many celebrities through out the film as well, who did a great job with the parts they were given no matter how big or small. Usually when a movie like this has way to many famously know actors in the picture, the movie ends up becoming nothing but a puff piece, not so with Hitchcock.
With plenty of Hitchcockisms to boot.

Hobart Arms

New in Town
@MissNathalieVintage: Thanks for sharing about that film! I have been meaning to get around to it these last few weeks. I heard some mixed things about it so it moved down my que a bit. I think you gave me the encouragement to finally make time for it! I am a huge fan of Hitchcock films as well as Alfred Hitchcock Presents!

Anthony Hopkins plays Hitch. I loved it. Seen it 3x already. It really is well done and I think the close ups were intentional. As was said, lots of Hitchcockisms in this, and I think that includes the look and feel of how it was shot and edited.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
And what were your impressions Wally? Would have gone to see it, but had to work today.

Ooops, been off the board for a while, sorry for the delay in responding. Enjoyed the movie, saw it in the 3D version with the high frame rate. If, indeed, as has been posted elsewhere on this thread, the screen play has been boosted with material from appendices, that would explain some of the variances from my memory of the book. Very Jacksonian (swirling crane shots, long swooping tracking shots, and so on), but overall, imho, did a good job on a challenging task of translating book to screen.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Hobbit" - Way too long... it was like running a marathon. I wondered how Mr. Jackson was going to make 3 movies out of one VERY short childrens book... now I know... One overly long intro and build-up and lots of foreshadowing of later events in TLOTRs. I got into see it for free so I ain't kickin' but so much. Still Mr. J needs a good editor.

Worf

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
"The Hobbit" - Way too long... it was like running a marathon. I wondered how Mr. Jackson was going to make 3 movies out of one VERY short childrens book... now I know... One overly long intro and build-up and lots of foreshadowing of later events in TLOTRs. I got into see it for free so I ain't kickin' but so much. Still Mr. J needs a good editor.

Worf

I was waiting for the DVDs, just for this reason. I can understand making a trilogy out of three books. But the Hobbit? Money move.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Cheer Boys, Cheer (1939)

A curious little film that effectively heralds the 'Ealing Comedies' of the late 1940s. It is the story of a large, industrialsed brewery attempting to forcibly take control of a small traditional brewery.

It's easy to read it as an allegory: Nazi Germany is represented by the large brewery - aggressively expanding its business. The UK is represented by the small brewer, forced to fight back against its overbearing rival. If that was not clear enough for the audiences, the owner of the large brewery is even seen reading Mein Kampf!

It was released just days before the outbreak of WW2 and was soon forgotten. It is seldom seen these days. I've been wanting to see ever since I first read about it 30 years ago. Luckily, the British Film Institute has shown it twice this month.

Maguire

Practically Family
I disagree with you on the Hobbit, Worf. I just saw it sunday and i really enjoyed it, the length of it allowed for us to really be emersed in the world of Middle earth. I was puzzled that he'd find a way to pull three movies out of this, but i'm glad he's giving alot of backstory, since to the folks who don't know tolkien, alot of what is written about in the books may just seem like throw away lines (ie ungoliant, morgoth) but there is so much more depth to them, that fleshing them out really does wonders. I wasn't bored throughout and i was bored at points in the last trilogy(i found liv tyler's scenes extraordinarily slow, and i wasnt too keen on some of the silliness in some of the battle sequences with legolas).. definitely well pleased this time around!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy