Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

James, you might enjoy this! It's about the real Tom Horn, Hollywood played lose with the facts as usual. Either he was framed, or it was a case of mistaken identity, with Tom shooting the kid, thinking he was shooting his father. In real life, Tom talked to much at the trial and may have condemned him self. Apparently he lived up to his nick name given to him by Geronimo, "Talking boy"! Although, some of the real life exploites of Horn are more interesting then the fiction. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/staley/horn_vs_hollywood.htm

I'll have to check that out. Tom Horn the movie just made me mad. Real life would probably make me want to tell Tom Horn not to be an idiot. :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Midnight Manhunt (1946, Metropolis), with Anne Savage, William Gargan, George Zucco (wasted), and Leo Gorcey. Murder in a wax museum turns into a "where is the corpse?' comedy of errors, and a contest between two reporters (Savage and Gargan) to see who can break the story first. Gorcey is full of malapropisms, and the script/photography/sets are pretty awful. I don't give many movies 5 out of 10 *s, but this one deserved it...

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since it came up in a discussion in another thread (EMPEROR!), I decided to sit through fourteen ten minute segments on YouTube of the movie 'Inchon' starring Laurence Olivier. I was told that I shouldn't and that I probably couldn't - but I did! Now I can say that I've seen it - it is a rare bird and a big loser - not available for rental or through NetFlix. It is not recommended, except for masochistic review purposes and bragging rights. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084132/

Inchon_zpsae04b952.jpg

-dixon "dugout" cannon

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Crime Wave" - Sterling Hayden as about the scariest cop I've ever seen in this semi-Film Noir pot boiler that hooked me and I couldn't stop watching. Hayden plays a homocide cop after a ruthless gang of cop-killers who are trying turn a former member who's gone straight. When standing next to other's you see just how BIG a man Hayden is, I mean effin huge! Him and the Duker should'a thrown down in some western that would'a been right up there with "King Kong vs. Godzilla".

Worf

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
"Crime Wave" - Sterling Hayden as about the scariest cop I've ever seen in this semi-Film Noir pot boiler that hooked me and I couldn't stop watching. Hayden plays a homocide cop after a ruthless gang of cop-killers who are trying turn a former member who's gone straight. When standing next to other's you see just how BIG a man Hayden is, I mean effin huge! Him and the Duker should'a thrown down in some western that would'a been right up there with "King Kong vs. Godzilla".

Worf

Worf, Hayden is great in that film! And, yes, he was a big boy...Love the L.A. locales (city hall, Union Station, actual streets, etc.), and the fact that there are actually a few Black extras in the background, something still not that common in early-'50s American movies. Particularly liked the last scene where Hayden's character, up until then chewing on toothpicks while going cold turkey on tobacco, takes a drag from a deformed cigarette, only to throw it on the sidewalk and start chewing on a matchstick.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Allegretto (1936), a 2 1/2 minute abstract animation by Oskar Fischinger, the originator of "visual music." A riot of colors and shapes to orchestral jazz by hit songwriter Ralph Rainger.
I've been told this loads very slowly. I wish I could link to a better quality dub, but Fischinger's people are notorious about keeping his work out of the cloud. Even this file probably won't be here long.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I've been told this loads very slowly. I wish I could link to a better quality dub, but Fischinger's people are notorious about keeping his work out of the cloud. Even this file probably won't be here long.
Thank you for sharing the link Fletch. Quite hypnotic, it would be spectacular on the big screen.
Btw, I didn't have any trouble with loading, it wasn't slow at all.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Worf, Hayden is great in that film! And, yes, he was a big boy...Love the L.A. locales (city hall, Union Station, actual streets, etc.), and the fact that there are actually a few Black extras in the background, something still not that common in early-'50s American movies. Particularly liked the last scene where Hayden's character, up until then chewing on toothpicks while going cold turkey on tobacco, takes a drag from a deformed cigarette, only to throw it on the sidewalk and start chewing on a matchstick.

Brother you ain't a kiddin'. The scene that got me was the ride downtown right before the scene you mentioned. I figured the young folks were DONE. No way this hard-boiled flat foot had a single shread of humanity. I won't give away any more. Both scenes were great... subtle and just plain well acted!!!!! I might just have to buy this one....

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Pursuit of the Graf Spee" - Or "Battle of the River Platte" as it was called in some releases. Decen't post-war war movie. Decent models, good acting and a ripping yarn in technicolor to boot. After watching it I was stunned at how less than 20 (about 14 with this particular film) years earlier they were trying to kill each other (English and British) yet here's J Arthur Rank making a film that could at the very least be considered quite sympathetic to the Germans. I guess the major distinction being "Germans" not "Nazis". Supposedly the Graf Spee flew the Imperial German Battle Flag NOT the Swastika it's a fine point though.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Of course, that film is by Powell and Pressburger, who'd been sympathetic to the Germans even during the war - for example, Forty Ninth Parallel and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. I can't comment on this particular flick (haven't seen it yet), but these guys were generally humanists who tended to show respect for all sides of a situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails