Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Can you imagine if there was a combination of great stories/screenplays as that from the past
combined with todays visual effects & technology ?
Assuming that the "acting" is up to par .
Or am I asking too much ?

The closest you can get to that today is in the better TV series such as "Manhattan," "Boardwalk Empire," or "True Detective." All three have really strong stories, outstanding acting and directing and wonderful sets and cinematography.

Hercule

Practically Family
We decided to have movie nights this past weekend, with the goal of bringing our 9 year old up to date on some pop culture. So we watched The fist Star Wars movie and the first Indiana Jones Movie. Indian Jones was fun enough, but I hadn't realized just how just stupid bad Star Wars was. Why again did/does it have such a cult like following? It's sarcasm right?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Attack of the Fiddy Foot Woman - Believe it or not I'd not seen this entire chestnut before the other day. That rubber hand had me reduced to fits. So bad it was hilarious. They were showing Allison Hayes movies all afternoon on TCM. Ms. Hayes was a great "B" movie actress that died way too young. She had obvious "assets" but she seemed to give every role, no matter how lame, her best effort!

"HARRY!"

Worf
Always an amusing movie.
Weird, but amusing.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Yes I saw this numerous times when my nephew and niece were kids, but it's still a favorite of mine.
Fangs of The Living Dead, the Rifftrax version. Like this movie needs them joking about it to make you laugh.

Pompeii... A surprisingly entertaining B picture.

Imagine Conan the Barbarian, Gladiator, Titanic, Spartacus, Dante's Peak, and a half-dozen other familiar flicks thrown in a blender. Zero redeeming social importance, but lots of cool swordfights, a serviceable rich-girl-meets-poor-boy love story, a way-over-the-top scenery-chewing villain (Kiefer Sutherland!), not to mention Mount Vesuvius erupting big-time!
I watched Pompeii today only because I remembered reading your post. I'd describe it as "A lesser-budget Gladiator remake if it was produced by Irwin Allen...with a volcano." Equal parts phony, baloney, cliché, and CGI.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just watched 'Giant Gila Monster' Usual tale of American teenagers saving the world. But no real explanation as to how the Gila Monster got so big except not many people visited where the lizards lived.
My one word review... Crap:cool:

We watched Key Largo on Saturday. Hubby really liked it!

That's great - glad he is getting into these movies. "Key Largo," for me, is one that gets better with more viewings. Once you have the plot down (and it's not that important in this movie anyway), you can focus on the character interactions and developments. You have Bogart, Bacall, Barrymore and Robinson all giving top notch performances and Claire Trevor more than holding her own with an incredibly nuanced performance. You'll know you really have your husband hooked when he gets into multi viewings of the same movie.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
That's great - glad he is getting into these movies. "Key Largo," for me, is one that gets better with more viewings. Once you have the plot down (and it's not that important in this movie anyway), you can focus on the character interactions and developments. You have Bogart, Bacall, Barrymore and Robinson all giving top notch performances and Claire Trevor more than holding her own with an incredibly nuanced performance. You'll know you really have your husband hooked when he gets into multi viewings of the same movie.

He liked Robinson once he figured out who he was (with my help - reading the DVD case). Any others with him in them to recommend? He was such a good bad guy!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
He liked Robinson once he figured out who he was (with my help - reading the DVD case). Any others with him in them to recommend? He was such a good bad guy!

This is early Robinson at his "rawest" best from 1930. You can usually catch it on TCM.

2zokjr5.png

But for me...Bogie "rules."..
On TCM or in this DVD which has both the 1945 & 1946 versions.
I love details & this dvd has it with added video explaining the different shots from both years.

282wxd.png

As 2jakes points out, the early thirties has a lot of "raw" Robinson movies with him as a tough gangster which is, perhaps, what he is most famous for. I enjoy him more in the '40s when he was doing more nuanced rolls such as in "The Stranger" or "Double Indemnity." Many of his early '30s movies and the two from the '40s I listed show up pretty regularly on TCM.

+1 on Robinson in Double Indemnity; very well played. I have to agree with Billy Crystal about Robinson being miscast in The Ten Commandments.

"Where's your Messiah NOW?"

Yes, that was not his best choice of rolls. I thought he was very good in "The Stranger," also, in another role, he played a gangster who goes to Hollywood to "retire" and did a great job, but I can't remember the name of it and couldn't find it on a quick search.

Thanks, fellas! More to add to my list for library requests. :)

A few more of suggestions from my "very good movies that fly just below the 'classic movie' radar" list:

"In Name Only"

"Separate Tables"

"Executive Suite"

"Holiday"

"A Country Girl"

"Going My Way"

"Desk Set"

"12 O'Clock High"

"Mortal Storm"

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Just watched 'Giant Gila Monster' Usual tale of American teenagers saving the world. But no real explanation as to how the Gila Monster got so big except not many people visited where the lizards lived.
My one word review... Crap:cool:
Was it the MST3K version? The regular version is an example of what happens when the wrong people get their hands on cameras and film.

Last edited:

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
A Korean version of "Alien", so to speak, set on an offshore oil rig titled "Sector 7." Has some good action sequences.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
@Wally_Hood, you have me cracking up with the comment about the "wrong hands on cameras and film." LOL!

I'm gonna catch "Interstellar" in IMAX. I had a long, angry conversation about the difference between IMAX film ($70,000 film print, 12,000 lines of resolution going across) and IMAX digital (f-ing big screen with the same sh.. projector in any other digital theatre) with the very theatre chain that I am going to see it in.

They insisted it wasn't being shown in film until I called the specific theatre, even though about 30% of the film was actually shot on IMAX film (roughly 12x the size of 35-mm anamorphic).

If you have film theatres, please go see your movies there, guys!

Digital is a joke. If I have a BluRay I have the same quality as a digital theatre. Absolutely no improvement on the big screen. What a farce!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo