Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"A Slight Case of Murder" (1938) Plenty of well known mugs in this one.
"Former bootlegger Remy Marco has a slight problem with forclosing bankers, a prospective son-in-law who is a state trooper, and four hard-to-explain corpses."

An eight-hour-long safety training presentation for the local carageenan factory which rented us out from 7 am to 5pm. And that's just the first half -- the second eight hours is Thursday. It's like an industrial film by Erich von Stroheim.

I watched an about four and a half hour version of "Greed" many years ago. I wasn't sure whether the people that cut about eighty percent of the movie out were to blame for it? Or if Erich von Stroheim made it bad. The scene framing and photography was incredible (as are a few other EvS movies I have seen). But the story line did not flow well at all (I cannot even remember the story???). Then, and now, part of me would like to see the movie as EvS made it just so I can see it and his vision of it.
I do sometimes wonder? If some of his longest movies might not have been his own artist's vision of his own best parody?
Me. Just wondering.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Stroheim's original idea was to film the original novel, page by page, omitting nothing -- Irving Thalberg didn't think that was what movie audiences in 1924 were interested in seeing, in an era when the average American feature ran a little over an hour.

There's a quasi-reconstruction of "Greed" out there, using Ken Burns-style panning of stills to fill in the deleted scenes. Some prefer it to the release cut, others think it's bloated and draggy.

"Greed" wasn't the only epic-length film gutted by MGM. Four years after "Greed" they bought the American distribution rights to Abel Gance's "Napoleon," and cut the six-hour French version down to about ninety minutes. It suffered greatly in the translation.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Watched Grand Budapest Hotel last night and was impressed and amused. Set in eastern europe in 1932. Definite vintage feel in spots and very funny. Don't know if anyone else has seen it or commented ?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Watched Grand Budapest Hotel last night and was impressed and amused. Set in eastern europe in 1932. Definite vintage feel in spots and very funny. Don't know if anyone else has seen it or commented ?

I've seen it. I loved it, one of my favorite movies of 2014.

There's a quasi-reconstruction of "Greed" out there, using Ken Burns-style panning of stills to fill in the deleted scenes. Some prefer it to the release cut, others think it's bloated and draggy.

Here it is. I do love the score of this "restored" version.

[video=youtube;ZOPIvsoSkvY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPIvsoSkvY[/video]

Part Two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX1cKuc5O_0

Part Three
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBRiAYY39ys

Part Four
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f-JmYIsLsI

Stroheim's original idea was to film the original novel, page by page, omitting nothing -- Irving Thalberg didn't think that was what movie audiences in 1924 were interested in seeing, in an era when the average American feature ran a little over an hour.

I think von Stroheim had anticipated the miniseries by some fifty years. :p

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Men Must Fight (1933) About a world war in 1940, they got it about right. They also had bombers that could wipe out New York with three bombs! Plus, TV, and a video phone, not bad.

Men Must Fight (1933) About a world war in 1940, they got it about right. They also had bombers that could wipe out New York with three bombs! Plus, TV, and a video phone, not bad.

I was watching this for 15 minutes on TCM yesterday morning and, then, hit record and returned to work. I was very impressed with the short amount of the film I saw - it seemed to be anticipating the peace-in-out-time vs. Churchill's argument for immediately confronting Hitler that was to come several years later. I will watch the end and come back.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"Brother Orchid" (1940) with Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sothern & Ralph Bellamy.
"Retired racket boss John Sarto tries to reclaim his place and former friends try to kill him, he finds solace in a monastery and reinvents himself as a pious monk."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot