Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Hot Fuzz . . . 'cause I needed a good laugh. Again.

giphy-3.gif

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I watched the Cheap Detective with Peter Faulkner the other night because I needed a laugh too. That and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid are two of my favorite comedies that deal with the classic films. Tonight I watched The Big Sleep on DVD. One of my favorite Film Noir films.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Good Dinosaur...

Pretty much a B-picture coming from Pixar, I expect better from them. More kid-oriented than their usual fare, it feels more like a Disney film than a Pixar film, and features lots of classic Disney tropes (runt of the litter protagonist, same-sex parent killed, cross-species sidekick, etc.) Bizarre use of the classic western-movie farmers vs. ranchers trope... with different dinosaur species.

This is not to say it wasn't entertaining and doesn't have endless simply gorgeous images. And their handling of emotion remains peerless: I got teary at the climax. Walt Disney would have loved this movie!

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The other night, Zootopia. Sort of Lethal Weapon meets Animaniacs. We laughed a lot.
Last night, Age of Adeline. Very well done; Missus really liked it.

Dark Passage on TCM. Another one of those movies which I have on dvd, but must always stop and watch when it is on.
:D

DVDs have proven in retrospect to be a good way for me to turn my money into pieces of plastic that sit in a bin in a closet. I almost never use them, but watch the movies I own on DVD on TCM, etc. when they come on. Yup buying those DVDs was a smart move for me.

Last edited:
"The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel -" I'm two thirds through and have two thoughts:

1) This reminds me of what sequels used to be - poor iterations of the first movie attempting to cash in versus saying / creating something new and interesting. So far, the story is basically the same with less interesting subplots and a forced-in role for Richard Gere that even his solid acting skills can't make believable. Like old-style sequels, the freshness, the quirkiness and the charm of the off-beat original is gone and, instead, everything feels artificial and calculated.

2) I assume this played well with Lizzie's audience as it has both Judi Dench and Maggie Smith which I believe drive her (and I'm paraphrasing) white, middle-class, bourgeois customers' butts right into the seats. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner