Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Going back a few years, when AMC showed old movies, the vibe was definitely there, especially when host Bob Dorian would intro the movie, then swivel in his chair to look at a screen (if I remember correctly) which would cut to the presentation.

At that time, I enjoyed AMC better than TCM only because AMC had been around longer (at least on my cable system) and it didn't have the name "Turner" in its title. Dorian was a fantastic host.

I really wish AMC still had that format as (1) that would mean more classic movies as, no matter how extensive one station's access to movies is, there are always gaps and (2) competition keeps one on their toes and trying to improve what they do.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm a fan of Isla Fisher, and when one of my local cable channels ran Wedding Daze, a vehicle of hers from 2006, I gave it a try. It's not a bad little rom-com. It features Isla being sexy and funny at the same time -- not an easy trick to pull off -- and a bunch of eccentric characters done up nicely by talented character actors like Joe Pantoliano and Joanna Gleason as Isla's parents, and Edward Herrmann as the father of her co-star, Jason Biggs.

(How I can love Die Hard, which I do, and still now and then enjoy lighthearted chick-flickiness like the stuff Isla is in . . . it's one of the amazing phenomena of life, like butterflies arising from caterpillars.)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Sorry you were sick, but you picked three fabulous films to help pass the time!

Being sick in bed is pretty normal for me (I have rheumatoid arthritis), but these films definitely help me to forget the pain. :)

If you're going to have to be sick in bed, what a nice way to spend it. Rear Window would've been a nice addition to the list. I know, that Jimmy Stewart is no Cary Grant, but it goes well with North by Northwest.
:D
Get well!

Thanks for the get well wishes! I actually have never seen Rear Window. I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Stewart, but I do need to watch this one.

Being sick in bed is pretty normal for me (I have rheumatoid arthritis), but these films definitely help me to forget the pain. :)

Thanks for the get well wishes! I actually have never seen Rear Window. I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Stewart, but I do need to watch this one.
You are welcome.
I too am not a big Jimmy Stewart fan, but thoroughly enjoy the manner in which it is shot. It is a very neat and entertaining flick; one of my favorite.

Feel better - I know chronic sickness is brutal. You seem to have a good attitude toward it, which helps.

I like Jimmy Stewart but I get that he is an acquired taste that isn't going to work for everyone.

But if you are open to trying, TOE is right that "Rear Window" is a great place to start. I'd also throw in "The Shop Around the Corner" and "The Mortal Storm" to gain an appreciation for a very young Stewart and "Anatomy of a Murder" for a more mature Stewart in, IMHO, maybe his best role.

Last edited:
Feel better - I know chronic sickness is brutal. You seem to have a good attitude toward it, which helps.

I like Jimmy Stewart but I get that he is an acquired taste that isn't going to work for everyone.

But if you are open to trying, TOE is right that "Rear Window" is a great place to start. I'd also throw in "The Shop Around the Corner" and "The Mortal Storm" to gain an appreciation for a very young Stewart and "Anatomy of a Murder" for a more mature Stewart in, IMHO, maybe his best role.
He was also enjoyable in Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much and moreso in Anatomy of a Murder.

FlyingBadger

New in Town
Just watched "Lili". Leslie Caron looking marvelously cute.

I enjoy Jimmy Stewart in all his films, though I might admit that he's perhaps not as versatile an actor as some of his contemporaries. "Anatomy of a Murder" has a number of fun performances in addition to Stewart's.

...I enjoy Jimmy Stewart in all his films, though I might admit that he's perhaps not as versatile an actor as some of his contemporaries. "Anatomy of a Murder" has a number of fun performances in addition to Stewart's.

Agreed, the cast - Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara (was seated next to him in a restaurant about ten years ago), Arthur O'Connell, George C. Scott and Eve Arden is ridiculously good. O'Connell and Arden even steal some scenes from Stewart, but he is the glue in this one and is low-key and confident enough to let those scenes be stolen for the good of the movie.

The other night we watched "How to be Single," which is, effectively, a remake (not at all, but sociologically) of 1992's "Singles," which is a remake (not at all, but sociologically) of 1959's "The Best of Everything," which is a remake (not at all, but sociologically) of 1930's "The Divorcee." That is a very incomplete list of not-really movie remakes of each era's young generation trying to make sense out of becoming adults.

"How to be Single" is a mid-level entry in the genre, worth watching "on cable" as we used to say. The lead character, Alice (Dakota Johnson) brings enough passion, compassion, thought and fun to keep it engaging. But it would have been better without the super-exxagerated character of Robin - the drunk, slutty, obnoxious sidekick girl.

N.B. Once again, you get to see movie and TV characters live in apartments in NYC that they never, ever, ever could afford in real life.

Agreed, the cast - Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara (was seated next to him in a restaurant about ten years ago), Arthur O'Connell, George C. Scott and Eve Arden is ridiculously good. O'Connell and Arden even steal some scenes from Stewart, but he is the glue in this one and is low-key and confident enough to let those scenes be stolen for the good of the movie.
Eve Arden almost steals the show with her spot on delivery; she is a hoot. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner