Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Quiz Show. Didnt fall asleep this time, and dug the late 50s clothes :)

I just couldn't get why it was such a big scandal. Unfair, sure, but scandal?

LD

zaika

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:
Darjeeling Limited-Wes Anderson's films. It's OK to like modern films, every now and then, yes?

i've read conflicting reviews...what did you think? i'm a huge fan of wes anderson and jason schwartzman.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
zaika said:
i've read conflicting reviews...what did you think? i'm a huge fan of wes anderson and jason schwartzman.

If you are a huge fan of Wes Anderson I would go. It's very much about the three brothers and how they mourn for the death of their father--which may be interesting or not to you. But it still has all of that quirky charm that you think of when you think of Wes Anderson. I must admit it's not my favorite film of his, but I'll take a Wes Anderson movie over almost all other modern movie makers today.

I've heard that Wes Anderson was inspired by Indian film director Pather Panchali and you can see his influences in the film--particularly when they get off the train at this one stop. I hope that comment doesn't reek of amateur film critic student. Heh! But true nonetheless.

I'm glad I saw it in the theaters because it has a slower pace that for me personally doesn't seem to capture my attention when seen on the little screen.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
'Breezy' (1973) - a rather unknown Clint Eastwood-directed film telling the story of a divorced middle-age man's (William Holden) guilty-conscienced affair with a 20 year-old free-spirited girl (Kay Lenz).

Feraud

Bartender
Miss Dottie said:
If you are a huge fan of Wes Anderson I would go. It's very much about the three brothers and how they mourn for the death of their father--which may be interesting or not to you. But it still has all of that quirky charm that you think of when you think of Wes Anderson. I must admit it's not my favorite film of his, but I'll take a Wes Anderson movie over almost all other modern movie makers today.

I've heard that Wes Anderson was inspired by Indian film director Pather Panchali and you can see his influences in the film--particularly when they get off the train at this one stop. I hope that comment doesn't reek of amateur film critic student. Heh! But true nonetheless.

I'm glad I saw it in the theaters because it has a slower pace that for me personally doesn't seem to capture my attention when seen on the little screen.
I am looking forward to seeing this.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
Children of Men on a library DVD. Most impressively done, and it definitely held my interest, but I don't know that I could say that I actually liked it.

I thought it was great as well. My fiancée read the book before the movie came out as she's a big P.D.James fan. I can still remember she got a shock as it wasn't a British whodunnit like James usually writes, but she raved so much about it that when the movie came out we rushed along to it.

zaika

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:

OOOH. now i'm excited to see it. i loved 'life aquatic' and the critics hated it...so, i need to stop reading reviews. thank you miss dottie. :)

Feraud

Bartender
zaika said:
OOOH. now i'm excited to see it. i loved 'life aquatic' and the critics hated it...so, i need to stop reading reviews. thank you miss dottie. :)
I agree. Avoid the critics. See any film for yourself and decide. Movies are subjective experiences and I cannot rely on some guy being paid to promote an interest to give a fair or interesting review.

I too thought The Life Aquatic was great. The use of Search and Destroy was brilliant!

Jovan

Suspended
Rarely do critics like movies that have a different style of humour like that. Everyone expects to bust a gut laughing at comedies as if it's the next Meet the Fockers... but dry comedies are often just as interesting to me.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Louis Malle

Last night ~ TCM ~ Le Souffle au coeur (1971) "Murmur of the Heart"

Written & Directed by Louis Malle

It was one of those movies that are odd, but you keep watching it to
see where it's all going. I really liked it & could see myself watching
it a few times and seeing things again for the first time. The second film Louis Malle film
that came on called "Black Moon" and it was super interesting, but it was already so late that I had to get to sleep.
I did see his "Pretty Baby" many years ago. I am really intrigued in watching more of his films.

I must say actress Lea Massari was a gorgeous woman!
She just made each scene she was in come alive.

Review Summary from IMDB
Touching coming-of-age story focuses on the youngest of three sons of a French gynecologist
and his wife in Paris in the 1950s. Malle does a wonderful job of showing the relationships between
the family members, helped by fine acting by all, particularly Massari as the beautiful mother and
Ferreux as the gawky 15-year old son. As with Malle's "Pretty Baby," issues of sexuality are handled
without hangups, even if it involves children. It is well known that one of the central themes of this
film is incest but rather than being disturbing or exploitative, it is presented in a surprisingly tender manner without being judgmental.

51HMDVSGNNL_SS500_.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Transformers :eusa_doh:

Too long, too loud and hard to watch. Did every tiny little minute thing have to move all the time, along with the camera?

It took an HOUR before Optmus Prime was even in the movie! :rage:

Only two cool scenes; that ten second shot with Starscream shooting down the jets in the air over the city, and the one where Optimus Prime introduces his crew. That was fun.

LD

lyburnum

Practically Family
On Tuesday I watched 'Blow Up'

And last night my sister was having a house party so I retreated to the bedroom to watch 'Sabrina' and 'Breakfast at Tiffanys' I just got my Audrey Hepburn boxset so thought I may as well take the opportunity to get stuck in :rolleyes:

deelovely

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Transformers :eusa_doh:
Too long, too loud and hard to watch. Did every tiny little minute thing have to move all the time, along with the camera?
It took an HOUR before Optmus Prime was even in the movie! :rage:
Only two cool scenes; that ten second shot with Starscream shooting down the jets in the air over the city, and the one where Optimus Prime introduces his crew. That was fun.
LD
I really liked Transformers! :) I thought the movie was great! [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy