Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Saw a couple of great films over the weekend, and one not so great but still entertaining. Friday night I finally caught Dr Strangelove. Loved it. Nearly wet myself at "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" lol I was intrigued by the disclaimer at the beginning to the effect that the USAF had made it clear that the events epicted in the film "could not happen" in real life due to their safety checks. Prsumably they were obliged to put that in in those different times? Were there different rules in those days on depictions of the military? I know nowadays the military offer all sorts of assistance (extras, location, uniform help, vehicles....) if they consider film will make them look good (e.g. Top Gun), but afaik they can't actually block or restrict a film that doesn't cast them in a favourable light?

Saturday night, I rewatched The Village. I think it still holds up well even when one knows the twist - actually, I think I enjoyed it more as i wasn't sitting trying to figure it out before the big reveal. Also enjoyed picking up on all the little giveaways that didn't sit quite right for the 1890s. Thereafter, it was the Rollerball remake. none of the intelligence I remember from the original (it's been a while, though), but big dumb fun still.

Sunday night, I watched Sin City. One I missed in the cinema, and was looking out for cheap on DVD to see. I might still pick it up. A very intriguing film, I very much enjoyed the characters. Also loved the whole noir feel to it - had the air of the 40s to me, but with aspects of modern tech and set in the present. Wondefully atmospheric. I wasn't so keen on the way a lot of the women were portrayed, and treated. To be fair, though, this is fairly normal in the noir genre, and at least in them being strong women they broke out of the 'helpless victim' mould somewhat. ntertaining film overall, though - great atmosphere, loved the cinematography. The mostly B&W with elements of colourisation was very effective.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
Don't watch Before Sunset first, though.;)
I like that pair, too. It's often referred to as a 'talk fest.'

Yes, proper order is key with those! I saw them both in the theater when they came out. I love it that they actually got the money to do the second film and revisit the story. Julie Delpy is one of my favorites too.

I love talky movies. Another of my favorites that not many have seen is called Conversations with Other Women starring Helena Bonham Carter and Aaron Eckhart. Worth a peek.

Doctor Strangelove is in my top ten best ever.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward, in the case of Dr. Strangelove, the opening disclaimer there was for everybody's peace of mind. During production, Kubrick had zero cooperation or input from the Air Force. The interior sets of the bomber were totally imagined by set designer Ken Adam with only much older/smaller planes for reference. Essentially, the military had seen Kubrick's earlier films (notably Paths of Glory) and considered him much too subversive to be encouraged!

"The Auto-Destruct blew itself up!"

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Sweeney Todd- It was bleak but it was sunny in some places. I did enjoy it very much. The daydream sequence with Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett on the beach was really funny and I really want her bathing suit.

Does anyone know if the original play shows what happens to Anthony, Johanna and Toby?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
John and Mary (1969). The hottest stars of the day Dustin Hoffman and Mia Farrow in a sort of a Sex in the City-like story. I'd have loved to been a single guy in NYC in the late 60s. Actually the script sort of sucked so I wasn't too impressed.

pgoat

One Too Many
And now for something completely different......

Dr. Strangelove is pure genius and very funny.

I just watched Fail-Safe recently, which is the other side of the coin, released around the same time. Bummed me out for days and it must have scared the crap outta a lot of folks back then (gave me the creeps and then some in 2007, depsite it being a bit unrealistic and way liberal over the top, even for Henry Fonda, and even for a fairly liberal viewer such as myself).

Edward

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
Edward, in the case of Dr. Strangelove, the opening disclaimer there was for everybody's peace of mind. During production, Kubrick had zero cooperation or input from the Air Force. The interior sets of the bomber were totally imagined by set designer Ken Adam with only much older/smaller planes for reference. Essentially, the military had seen Kubrick's earlier films (notably Paths of Glory) and considered him much too subversive to be encouraged!

"The Auto-Destruct blew itself up!"

I figured that they wouldn't have been exactly thrilled with it, yeah! lol Thinking of Full Metal Jacket, I don't think Kubrick really mellowed much in his attitudes towards the military as time went on. ;)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Letters From Iwo Jima. Saw Flags of Our Fathers last week. I'd give both 3.5 stars. Decent acting and accurate historical props, vehicles and equipment.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I guess I'm watching a lot of films...

A bizarre little French flick on the Sundance Channel last night: 'Qui ?™tes-vous, Polly Maggoo?' (1966). A black & white, sort of mockumentary about the making of a French TV program on American super-model Polly Maggoo (ficticious). A sort of confusing film, but mod/pop/swinging 60s Paris fashion lifestyle makes it worth watching.

Edward

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
Breakfast At Tiffany's was on at 4 a.m. this morning:coffee:

The party scene has to be one of the best ever!

That's one of the few films that's ever made me cry; hit a bit close to home at the end at one time. I wish they'd run with the ending in the book, though. But that's Hollywood for ya....

I love the party scene - the shallowness and artifice of it all is beautifully illustrated at the second (or third?) pass across the room when they all suddenly look less than the glamourous creatures they at first appear. My faovurite is the guy with the eyepatch. :)

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
The last movie I watched was "Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios" by Pedro Almodovar!! It's really fun and full of colors!!! lol!! I really liked it!! Carmen Maura and Rossi de Palma are amazing!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy