Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Inky

One Too Many
My hubby and I watched You Can't Take It With You over the weekend for the first time and I can't believe I've missed seeing it before. It's a keeper in our library.

So funny, clever and witty and I so wanted to live in the Vanderhof house! Jimmy Stewart was perfection - we watched The Shop Around The Corner last night, another Jimmy Stewart favorite.

byronic

One of the Regulars
Not the last movie I watched, but the one I am about to watch. The Dvd I ordered has just arrived- 'Pygmalion'. I suppose the musical remake 'My fair lady' is more well-known these days. In this Leslie Howard plays Professor Higgins and Wendy Hiller is Eliza. If you recall the scene in My Fair Lady where Eliza is learning to talk like a lady with marbles in her mouth and swallows one by mistake, then you may be interested to know that this line is all down to Leslie Howard. While filming the scene in Pygmalion, Wendy Hiller, (who was in reality pregnant at the time) accidentally swallowed a marble. She said to her co-star in a shocked voice: 'My God, Leslie I've just swallowed one!' The story goes that Leslie Howard immediately said: 'Not to worry, I have plenty more', and popped another marble into her mouth, which was still wide open in shock. It got a big laugh from the crew so it was decided to keep it in the film, and later of course made the transition to My fair Lady.
And now, having bored you all senseless with that nugget, I'm going to settle down in front of my log fire and watch it, and a very happy and peaceful Christmas to you all.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We had 111 people for our matinee show of "It's A Wonderful Life," not too bad for a picture most people have seen a million times. Before the show, we had 10-year-old triplets singing and playing Christmas carols onstage, a speech from the local community-chest chairman, and a visit from Mr. S. Nicholas Claus himself in person. Ho ho ho, and not a dry eye in the house at the end of the movie. It really does make a difference to see it on the big screen with an audience.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Viewed Frost/Nixon today.

Very compelling.

Frostnixonposter.png

Panache

A-List Customer
Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) with Jose' Ferrer

I watched it with my two children. They have heard me speak of the play but had never seen it before. A very nice break from holiday cartoon specials.

Wonderful film

But then I'm a bit biased ;)

Cheers

Jamie

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
This past week:

Bolt

From what I've seen in reviews and box office results, I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed it.

Igor

An okay movie, but there's something not quite right that I can't put my finger on. Maybe that it moves along step by step, without any surprises or change in pace.

Although it's animated, this may not be a good movie for small children. A few minutes into it, one toddler in the audience shouted, "I don't like this!" Shortly after, parents and child hustled out of the theater.

Coming up next:

I just bought Good Night, and Good Luck. I'll report back on it shortly.

N2S3

New in Town
Clark Gable, Jean Harlow & Mary Astor

Yesterday seen a picture can't remember the title, hard raining most of the time. Gable living in the jungle owning a plantation of rubber trees, can't decide wether to choose Harlow or Astor.
Picture issued in 1932, not bad viewing this in the chair dry and warm. Very hard raining, no fun for actors...

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
"The Shop Around the Corner" was on TCM yesterday.....*such* a funny and lovely movie. Jimmy Stewart is so handsome and charming at the end it gives me butterflies.

El Erico

New in Town
I have been on this James Cagney kick lately. He is my new favorite actor. It's those little things that he does that enhance his presence on screen. His movement on screen and the delivery of his words are masterful. My Netflix has been all Cagney for the last couple months. The last film I saw was "The Mayor of Hell", it was great. Before that I saw "Roaring 20's" and fell in love with Priscilla Lane. Next up is "Little Ceasar" with E.G. Robinson....

mike

Call Me a Cab
N2S3 said:
Yesterday seen a picture can't remember the title, hard raining most of the time. Gable living in the jungle owning a plantation of rubber trees, can't decide wether to choose Harlow or Astor.
Picture issued in 1932, not bad viewing this in the chair dry and warm. Very hard raining, no fun for actors...

Red Dust! Great film indeed! Similar line of thought & in my mind, equally good: Rain & Kongo! :D

Man of the Century

An odd little comedic outing called Man of the Century, where this newspaperman is stuck in the 1920's but it's modern day. Matt D had given a nod to it and it's quite enjoyable.

His verbal patter is great from smoozing up the dames to selling his new photographer on the new job to outwitting the badguy's henchmen. The costuming is well done and interesting.

Rent from netflix don't buy unless you have to have it yourself, then get an inexpensive copy from Amazon or Ebay

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
just_me said:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button :eusa_clap
That looks very interesting. I want to see that one.

Right now I'm watching "The Rainmaker" for who knows how many times.
I like the story, Matt Damon is good, Danny DeVito is really good, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot