Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Am now watching "Julie and Julia" which I borrowed from my mother. Its actually quite entertaining. Also Stanley Tucci has a really nice Fedora in this movie. (He plays Julia Child's husband and i think they are in the 50's)

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Last movie watched in a theatre was, "Sherlock Holmes" with Robert Downey and Jude Law. I'm a self admitted Sherlockian and I loved the movie. :eusa_clap

Hondo

One Too Many
442RCT said:
Last movie watched in a theatre was, "Sherlock Holmes" with Robert Downey and Jude Law. I'm a self admitted Sherlockian and I loved the movie. :eusa_clap

Thanks for reviewing new Sherlock film and BTW is that your jacket as
avatar and where did you get it or who does the work? Looks great!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Golden Boy (1939)

feban8.jpg

Stylish, tho stylized, boxing drama that was the first starring role for 20yo William Holden, so young he is barely recognizable except for his unusually mature voice. He must choose among his talents on the violin, the love of Barbara Stanwyck, or a promising ring career under promoter Adolphe Menjou.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
We brought a friend home from an art opening last night, and after a bit of wine and a fine taste of Patron coffee tequila (gorgeous!), we showed her "Romance and Cigarettes." John Turturro and the Coens, along with James Gandolfini, Christopher Walken, Steve Buscemi, Susan Sarandon, a very tartiferous Kate Winslet, have created a film that can't really be accurately described.
The only problem is it's so funny and entertaining that I always seem to forget about the poignant ending. Made our friend cry. :(
But I still think she enjoyed it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Took my night off last night with "It's A Great Life," a 1930 MGM musical marking the only starring role for the legendary Duncan Sisters. If I were short and blonde and had an even crankier disposition than I do, Rosetta Duncan would be my new role model -- she spends the whole picture snarling and sneering at Lawrence Gray, which I suppose is the only reasonable thing to do if you find yourself alone in a room with him, with his whiny, foot-stomping, stop-upstaging-me-you-awful-woman personality. No wonder she preferred Jed Prouty.

Seriously, though, the dramatic portions of the picture are the weak point -- but the musical numbers, if you like the Duncans' style of hokum harmony, are excellent. "Sailing On A Sunbeam," with its bizarre chorus-girls-sliding-down-giant-slippery-slides finale, has to be my all-time favorite Technicolor musical number of the early-talkie era.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Hondo said:
Thanks for reviewing new Sherlock film and BTW is that your jacket as
avatar and where did you get it or who does the work? Looks great!

Thanks! Yes, it's my jacket, and I did the painting on it. The jacket is a no name A-2 repro that was custom made for me. (this was way before I learned about Eastmans, Aeros, GWs, RMJ, RMZ, etc. on the VLJ forum) I attended a luncheon for the Flying Tigers and had 8 of them autograph the jacket. You can see their autographs in gold above the pin-up girl.

image0-6.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Chan-wook Park's Thirst.
An excellent entry in the very lame vampire genre. I might be doing the film a disservice to classify it as such. Just check it out..
Watch it after the kiddies are asleep. This isn't your teenage daughter's vampire film.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Santa Fe Trail

This offering from late 1940 is supposedly close to being historically accurate. Kit Carson is played by Olivia de Havilland, Errol Flynn as Jeb Stuart, Raynond Massey as John Brown and, other than some dude by the name of Reagan trying to be Custer, a pretty much all-star cast.
A very good silver-screen offering :eusa_clap

SayCici

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Chan-wook Park's Thirst.
An excellent entry in the very lame vampire genre. I might be doing the film a disservice to classify it as such. Just check it out..
Watch it after the kiddies are asleep. This isn't your teenage daughter's vampire film.
I love Park Chan-wook, notably The Vengeance Trilogy.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Lured, with George Sanders, Lucille Ball, Charles Coburn, and Boris Karloff. Sort of London noir, with Karloff's billing a ringer, so's you'd think it was some sort of chiller. Don't be fooled...

Part police procedural, part whodunit, sort of fun. It's almost like it doesn't know what to be.

Definite rental for Lucy fans and noiristas.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Scott Wood said:
This offering from late 1940 is supposedly close to being historically accurate. Kit Carson is played by Olivia de Havilland, Errol Flynn as Jeb Stuart, Raynond Massey as John Brown and, other than some dude by the name of Reagan trying to be Custer, a pretty much all-star cast.

???

Tiller

Practically Family
Scott Wood said:

Yet that some dude named Reagan is the only person in that group who has a chance of being remembered in a hundred years :rolleyes:.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Avatar in IMAX 3D. Fascinating! I did come away with the feeling I was watching 'Dancing With Wolves' updated to the 22nd Century. Not unlike 'Star Trek' had been an updated 'Wagon Train' -Did you??

-dixon cannon

Edward

Bartender
Caught The Dirty Dozen on television last night. Fell asleep and missed the last twenty minutes, annoyingly, but I'm sure I'll see it again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran