Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

At the moment I'm wondering how Bohannon is going to get out from under The Swede's boot at the Mormon camp; I guess I'll find out in another 35 minutes or so. :p But seriously, I'm really enjoying it so far. I know modern morals and ethics are often attached to the plotlines and/or character actions, but it's not intending or pretending to be a historically accurate retelling of the building of the transcontinental railroad so I can overlook it's occasional flaws because I find it so entertaining. And you?

I agree. Somewhere in the middle of season one, I got over my disappointment that it wasn't going for historical accuracy and just allowed myself to enjoy it. The period sets are awesome, the story lines have interesting and long arcs and the characters develop over time, are three dimensional (flawed heroes, bad guys who occasionally show some compassion), and show growth.

Also, philosophically, the show takes a nuanced viewed toward religion (sees its redeeming qualities and its, sometimes, chicanery) - this balance is refreshing versus the general anti-religious view of most shows or the few all-preachy ones that pop up occasionally.

I do miss the Fair Haired Maiden of the West - I enjoyed her character and her arresting beauty. That said, the preacher's daughter is an intriguing character and I love the way she can get inside Bohannon's head.

...Also, philosophically, the show takes a nuanced viewed toward religion (sees its redeeming qualities and its, sometimes, chicanery) - this balance is refreshing versus the general anti-religious view of most shows or the few all-preachy ones that pop up occasionally...
I concur. The writers appear to have found a balance that neither endorses nor condemns such beliefs, yet they still present some interesting questions through dialogue and/or characters' actions.

...the preacher's daughter is an intriguing character and I love the way she can get inside Bohannon's head.
Again, I concur. I think Bohannon is an agnostic who wants to believe, but his experiences have left him unconvinced one way or the other so he puts his faith into the task at hand--fighting the war, seeking those responsible for his family's demise, building the railroad, etc..

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Ice Road Truckers.
Well it's too hot for Sleepy Time Tea.
This works just as good.

Art is lost again, what a shock.:eusa_doh:

At least I had some good quality tv tonight.
I had a copy of WCW Halloween Havoc from 1998 that I've never seen.
Ah those were the days, when the story lines were still good, and the it was more about wrestling entertainment, than bra and panties matches...

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sunday Trifecta....

"True Blood"

"The Leftovers" (last night's episode was actually quite effective).

And I've just started watching "The 4400", don't ask me why.

Worf

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Sunday Trifecta....

"True Blood"

"The Leftovers" (last night's episode was actually quite effective).

And I've just started watching "The 4400", don't ask me why.

Worf

Because you're starved for good programming?

Watched The Musketeers...Starting to lose interest. Think I'm still hanging on just to see Capaldi's acting.

I concur. The writers appear to have found a balance that neither endorses nor condemns such beliefs, yet they still present some interesting questions through dialogue and/or characters' actions.

Again, I concur. I think Bohannon is an agnostic who wants to believe, but his experiences have left him unconvinced one way or the other so he puts his faith into the task at hand--fighting the war, seeking those responsible for his family's demise, building the railroad, etc..

Great summary of Bohannon's philosophy - nothing religious works (probably lost his faith when his wife was killed), but there are life's struggles to overcome. Very Voltaire via "Candide"

Defiance is just weird now. Dominion is at least picking up steam.
Oh and I watched True Blood. The wheels have come off that show. Good thing there are only three more episodes to screw up. :doh:

Yes to the first two. The ex-mayor and the role-playing annoy me, but as long as Datak is around, I'll keep watching. I don't buy the Mayor of Vega's daughter stepping up as a leader, but we'll see.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou