Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Now you've made me feel bad :(. I think my frustration came from both my high hopes and - based on the overall quality of TV nowadays - expectations being so not met. Like, you, I'm willing to hang in there a bit longer, but it's got to get better soon.

Edit add: "Frequency" another time-travel or, at least, time-lines-overlap show is doing a better job of creating some credible characters and investing the time to build out the story. Not great, but more promising than "Timeless."

Oh no! I didn't mean to make you feel bad! I'm not here to decide what anyone else watches, that's up to you. ;) But I bet I can almost guarantee that when sweeps starts the pace on these shows will pick up. *cough* The Blacklist, Gotham *cough*

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Wrapping up Season 2 tonight.
This is my first time watching this series, is it weird that I like it so much?
I only watched the series recently myself (maybe 2 years ago) and it's fantastic. Every now and then I'll skip through my favorite episodes on netflix. It's a great show, and actually, only last week did I get a friend of mine to try it out. She's loving it!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tesla. Every one that is reading this owes it to this man! Sad how he was cheated by so many. If Westinghouse had upheld his part of the bargain , Nikola would have been one of the richest men in the world! A few months after his death, he was deemed the inventor of the wireless radio, not Marconi. It is nice to see that he is getting the recognition he deserves. It must have been some thing to be at one of his many demonstrations. He was a striking man, 6'2" tall, jet black hair, piercing blue eyes, fluent in several different languages, and could converse in depth on any subject of the time. Sad that he had compulsive disorder, every thing had to be a multiple of 3, even down to walking around a building three times before entering.
N.Tesla_zpsvkcel3zy.jpg
c154323ea9ba87cf09ad91eceb8014a2_zpsisqijzjx.jpg

I've never watched "Buffy...," but years ago, my girlfriend got me into a completely silly show "Charmed" about three modern-day witches who reluctantly use their powers to battle evil. Yup, it's as silly as it sounds, but for several seasons (it eventually grew repetitive), we where there each week rooting for good to beat evil and those girls to find love and happiness despite their unusual situation.

I believe the Nielsen ratings showed that the demographics for the show were 99.999% teenage girls and .001% representing one stupid middle-aged couple in NYC.

Sometimes the quirkiest, not-at-all-your-type-of-show or targeted-to-your-demographic show, just works for you.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Here's to a World Series that is a pitch by pitch battle. A World Series where managers are required to be skilled tacticians, and they deliver. Solid defenses. Tense wars for every game. Both pennant series were sloppy, inconsistent bores.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
WWII Mega Weapons: The Tunnels of Okinawa. Over 12,000 Americans were killed, over 110,000 Japanese soldiers and between 40,000 to 150,000 civilians were killed. That's more Japanese then died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
No, it isn't. The title, I know, is sort of goofy -- but that's part of the in-joke. Joss Whedon's creation is a great example of how you can position humor and horror side by side and have both work. Season 2 in particular is a dynamite story arc, with the introduction of Spike and Drusilla, the growth in father-daughter relationship between Giles and Buffy, the doomed love of Buffy and Angel, and the upheaval in Buffy's world at the climax of the season.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've never watched "Buffy...," but years ago, my girlfriend got me into a completely silly show "Charmed" about three modern-day witches who reluctantly use their powers to battle evil. Yup, it's as silly as it sounds, but for several seasons (it eventually grew repetitive), we where there each week rooting for good to beat evil and those girls to find love and happiness despite their unusual situation.

I believe the Nielsen ratings showed that the demographics for the show were 99.999% teenage girls and .001% representing one stupid middle-aged couple in NYC.

Sometimes the quirkiest, not-at-all-your-type-of-show or targeted-to-your-demographic show, just works for you.
Charmed never grabbed me, big-time Shannen Doherty fan though I was (I was the .001% demographic of nearing-middle-age guys who liked the original Beverly Hills 90210). But if you enjoyed the witchcraft stories, you'll love Buffy. The dialog and storytelling at the show's best was light-years ahead of Charmed.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
This weekend, a 1961 episode of Have Gun -- Will Travel. Paladin's opening voiceover:

"I need six men for two to three weeks. The men we're going after are clever and dangerous. They've stolen a piano."

Charmed never grabbed me, big-time Shannen Doherty fan though I was (I was the .001% demographic of nearing-middle-age guys who liked the original Beverly Hills 90210). But if you enjoyed the witchcraft stories, you'll love Buffy. The dialog and storytelling at the show's best was light-years ahead of Charmed.

I do not need to resurrect that embarrassing period in my past :). Kidding aside, the supernatural stuff is all my girlfriend and I just happened to wander into the show one day when she was watching and it became a show we watched together.

I found the supernatural stuff in "Charmed" pretty much not interesting and just liked the characters and their day-to-day interactions and attempts to be normal.

I did get that "Charmed" was pretty weak, but as noted, for some reason, I just enjoyed the characters. Also, I think my girlfriend appreciated that we were watching one of "her" shows together.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I found the supernatural stuff in "Charmed" pretty much not interesting and just liked the characters and their day-to-day interactions and attempts to be normal.

I did get that "Charmed" was pretty weak, but as noted, for some reason, I just enjoyed the characters. Also, I think my girlfriend appreciated that we were watching one of "her" shows together.
The characterizations in Buffy you may find just as fascinating, if not more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland