Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
A recording of Blue Bloods from last week (?) and the most recent Bull, which can be a surprisingly well-written sort of whodunnit. Scattered in there are catch-as-catch-can episodes of The Crown. The Missus is watching ahead, but likes it so much she re-watches it with me.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
If nothing changes our plans (sometimes, it seems, we have so little control over our days), we plan to watch the first few episodes of this, this evening. Can't freakin' wait. Glad you are enjoying it and glad its quality has help up this season.

I watched another two episodes last night, so only have three left (I have no self control, apparently!). It is even better than the first season!
I also tweeted three members of the cast telling them what an incredible job they all did and got responses from all three. Beyond cool!

I watched another two episodes last night, so only have three left (I have no self control, apparently!). It is even better than the first season!
I also tweeted three members of the cast telling them what an incredible job they all did and got responses from all three. Beyond cool!

Waiting, literally right now (right this second), for super girlfriend to get back from a wholesale flower market she went to with a girlfriend this morning so that we can start watching it. Hmm, let's see, yup, still waiting.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Big Bang Theory. Raj is getting pretty funny as the weird fourth wheel in the birth of Bernadette and Howard's baby!

The Big Bang Theory. Raj is getting pretty funny as the weird fourth wheel in the birth of Bernadette and Howard's baby!
Really? I think Raj has finally surpassed Sheldon as the most annoying character on the show. I made that comment to my wife while we were watching it earlier, and she replied, "Nah, he just needs a girlfriend." :p

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Rectify. series finale. yeah, that wasn't much of an ending. more for the actors than the story. oh well. it could have been terribly cheesy.

Loretta Lynn. American Masters. Did that really need to be two hours long? I bet that household was total chaos when she was on the road.

"The Man in the High Castle" Season II, Episode 1.

As AmateisGal said, this show has lost none of its energy, its smart writing, its strong acting, its beautiful period sets or its alternate-history-driven narrative. Of the shows I've seen, there's not a better one on TV today and few movies that rise to this level either.

Depending on this, that and the other pre-Christmas things we need to do today, plus the NFL, I don't know how many, but we are going to try to get a few more episodes in if we can.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that it is as good as the previews look. We enjoyed the first season, but will happily take an even better second season.
:D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I went to set my recordings for the night, and I was smacked with the reminder that starting today, and not ending for a couple weeks, there's going to be nothing on TV. Charlie Rose re-runs and second-rate movies to fill air time. Time to filter through all the documentaries On Demand.

I went to set my recordings for the night, and I was smacked with the reminder that starting today, and not ending for a couple weeks, there's going to be nothing on TV. Charlie Rose re-runs and second-rate movies to fill air time. Time to filter through all the documentaries On Demand.

If you get Netflix, I recommend "The Crown" and if you get Amazon, I recommend "Man in the High Castle." Those alone should get you through the next two weeks.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
If you get Netflix, I recommend "The Crown" and if you get Amazon, I recommend "Man in the High Castle." Those alone should get you through the next two weeks.
I wish. Have neither of those services. There's a new series on SundanceNow called The Bureau that looks like it could be good. Looks in line with their mini-series a couple years ago with Maggie Gyllenhall (sp?).

I wish. Have neither of those services. There's a new series on SundanceNow called The Bureau that looks like it could be good. Looks in line with their mini-series a couple years ago with Maggie Gyllenhall (sp?).

Is Sundance Now a pay one - I know I get a Sundance channel with my cable package, but it has a lot of commercials so I tend not to watch it a lot? I get how tight budgets are - I our case, my girlfriend and I decided to stop going to movies in the movie theater and devote the savings to some of the pay services.

So, for example, one movie in a theater is about $25 for the two of us, but Netflix is $11 a month (two screens for streaming plus one DVD - it's $8 if you just get streaming to one screen). Hence, for us, it makes sense as we watch a bunch of movies and TV shows - without commercials - every month on Netflix. Again, though, I fully get that everyone has their own budget tradeoffs, just showing you how we look at it for us.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Is Sundance Now a pay one - I know I get a Sundance channel with my cable package, but it has a lot of commercials so I tend not to watch it a lot?
Sundance and FX are the two worst channels for content to commercials ratio. They must be down to less than 35 minutes of content per hour. Further, they're constantly using tricks to lessen the amount of original content. Like at commercials telling you what is about to happen in the program you're watching. It tells me that original content is incredibly difficult and expensive to make. I'm certain they have costs down to the second. For instance, with Rectify on Sundance, they were generally short seasons of 6-8 episodes. One would assume they would really try to pack in the content with such a short season. Nope. They'd go to commercial and then have a 20-second spot within the commercials that was showing part of a scene that was about to come up in the Rectify episode. Really? You couldn't have sold another commercial or made another 20 seconds of content? I don't need to know what is going to happen five minutes from now.

The other weird thing about Sundance is that I've noticed a lot of people have the SD stream in their cable package, but if you go On Demand, everything will be in HD. Why would anyone watch the live channel if it is all in SD? They only get credit for Neilson Ratings, which is greatly how they price commercial time, if you watch it live or within 24 hours of recording it. It's a chancy move. I always wait for their shows to come On Demand a few days later. They get no credit, from my understanding, in the ratings system from me.

Oh, and yes, Sundance Now is their pay situation so people can watch on their mobile devices. I hope some of these original series aren't just there. That seems silly to me, but I'm not their target audience or the standard audience watching on tiny screens.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"The Man in the High Castle" Season II, Episode 1.

As AmateisGal said, this show has lost none of its energy, its smart writing, its strong acting, its beautiful period sets or its alternate-history-driven narrative. Of the shows I've seen, there's not a better one on TV today and few movies that rise to this level either.

Depending on this, that and the other pre-Christmas things we need to do today, plus the NFL, I don't know how many, but we are going to try to get a few more episodes in if we can.

YAY! So glad you're enjoying it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn