Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

"The Durrells in Corfu" was a hot mess, but I liked it anyway. Visually very pretty setting / style and, once it established some of characters' backstories, they actually had some meaningful moments. That said, it was pretty sloppy overall, but as noted, I still enjoyed it.
The visuals and the time period are what has attracted us to the show. We are only two episodes in (the 1st and 3rd) as we do not want to pay to watch it, but Comcast wishes otherwise. We do not know where it is going nor do we have any idea, but it is entertaining enough.
:D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
anyone watching Shut Eye on Hulu? I get that TV is fracturing and this is an adjustment period, but the answer of everyone having a pay service and acting independently seems a bit ridiculous to me. To pay any of them $10+/month just to have access to their content alone is a bit unreasonable. It's somewhat playing into the "shared economy". Friends sharing access codes and spreading the bills.

I like some of the cast on Shut Eye. Mysticism isn't a big draw for me, but neither was advertising. Do it well, and I'll watch.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Finished the last two episodes of Man in the High Castle. OUTSTANDING. It is rare that such a well-written, visually-appealing show comes around where all the actors turn out superior performances and the storyline is so gripping that you are fully immersed in that world. I cannot recommend this series enough. Very, very well done.

Finished the last two episodes of Man in the High Castle. OUTSTANDING. It is rare that such a well-written, visually-appealing show comes around where all the actors turn out superior performances and the storyline is so gripping that you are fully immersed in that world. I cannot recommend this series enough. Very, very well done.
I am excited.....Amazon TV just came to Canada. And while the offering is overall ho hum it will be worth the $79 per year just to get Man in High Castle.

Just finishing the British Netflix series "Top Boy". It is, as much of Brit TV excellent. The accents are not too bad and I can pick up most of the dialogue but once in while it seems they speak Klingon or somesuch and I get lost.

Edward

Bartender
The last few episodes of Season Nine The Big Bang Theory. It still has some great moments, but it's getting tired now. It would be great if they had the nerve to end the unbelievable Leonard/ Penny relationship, but alas I doubt it.

Based on commentary here, Hubby & I have started down the Man in the High Castle path. It is growing on me. He is completely hooked!

Please stay with it - it is incredibly well done TV. I have no doubt you will quickly be drawn in. I can only echo all of AmateisGal's comments.

I am excited.....Amazon TV just came to Canada. And while the offering is overall ho hum it will be worth the $79 per year just to get Man in High Castle.

Agree - I'd pay that if I had to, to see this show. Heck, one movie costs $25 bucks for two in NYC, based on that, ten episodes of "Man in the High Castle" for $79 would be a steal. Enjoy, can't wait to hear your comments on it.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
You accurately describe what caused us to stop watching the show about two seasons ago.
RE: Vikings

I've been watching Real Vikings that follows Vikings. As if one Michael Hirst mess wasn't enough, but to give it credit, it does explain a lot as to why Vikings is so poorly written in both story and dialogue. He's not really writing anything. He's combing the sagas, legend, history, archeology, writings from other cultures that experienced the vikings and then piecing together a show. He pays no mind to chronology. This probably isn't that abnormal in TV adaptation, but he's also not particularly good at it. There are a couple reasons why the show lacks coherence and so heavily relies on the grandiose ritual. For one, those are rather well documented. He's finding these rituals, or rather recollections of those rituals because the vikings didn't write anything down, and then re-enacting them. Secondly, these rituals and theatrical situations are said to be everyday occurrences in viking culture. Few things were simple actions. They made a big production for common things to pay homage to the gods. The problem is that Hirst doesn't provide much connective tissue, if any at all, between one big scene to the next. The human stuff. Personalities and conversations etc. Part of that is because, again, there's no writing by the vikings. They didn't start to write down their own history until 300-400 years later, after the fact. Hirst can't research how they would talk or what they would talk about or how they perceived the world by the word. And because Hirst doesn't appear to be much of a creative mind, he doesn't bother, or give much weight, to dialog or story. It's really kind of a lazy way to go about all this. I find it unfortunate. Linguistics and language are the last of his concerns, but there are experts out there who could help with this. He does employ academia to do this show, so why not these other disciplines that could fill in a well-told story process?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The OA" - An odd Netflix offering we binged over two nights (8 episodes). Indescribable, worrying, strange and unusual... can be slow at times but we stuck with it. It also features the best/worst "Mad Scientist" I've seen in years. Not for everyone, probably would've been more fun if we'd dropped a tab or two before viewing.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails