Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Taboo. season finale. I'm a difficult person to satisfy when it comes to finales. This one didn't clear the hurdle. I was disappointed. Maybe I had an attention lapse, but all of a sudden, Delaney was freed. I need to watch that tribunal scene again, because I don't get it. All this build up, and then no explanation? Was his chanting acting as telepathy or mind control? Wait, that's it? All this, and then he's out...because the story needed him to be out? The writers aren't going to earn it? And the prince regent suddenly wanting him dead? When did his patience run dry? And the fight scene...other than to fill a lot of time and kill off some characters, I thought that was lazy. This show hasn't really been too lazy, but I feel that was. I did like some aspects of this episode, so it wasn't a complete wash. Some great scenes. Some satisfying moments. I hope it comes back for another season, but they tied it up well enough that it isn't necessary. Smart.

Last edited:
"Taboo" second to last episode of season 1.

First, please see prior comments on my inability to survive one hour - any hour chosen - of Delaney's life. Nothing's changed there except I might have to reduce my measurement to minutes I could survive after the Tower scene.

Second, possibly the game-theory coolest, "you've got to be kidding me," moment in "Taboo" to date was when Delaney delivered the final line of the episode - after being tortured, looking physically (all-but) broken, but mentally defiant - to Stuart Strange, in his mumbling but menacing style, "I have a use for you."

Basically, it's Delaney saying I orchestrated all of this - my torture included - to secure this meeting. Holy Cow / Cats / Everything, talk about willpower, long-range planing, guts and craziness - but if true, the man is a game-theory master. Everyone, including the King of England, is just a chess piece for him to move around the board.

And thirdly, what the heck happened to his passion for his, no easy way to say this, sister? It was sad to see Zilpha - who manages to look both defeated and willful at the same time (and, always, a bit nutsy cuckoo) - cast aside with a diamond consolation prize. As much as heaven and earth doesn't want to see another scene of those two having sex, methinks there's more to come from them.

Finally, I must have missed the early clues (I'm sure they're there) as it seemed that Brace's admission of his mercy killing of Delaney's father came out of left field.

One episode to go - frightening to think that they are going to ramp it - the crazy, the tension, the conflict, the anger, the passion, the edginess - up from here for a big finale.

I'll third Supernatural. Love that show.

Still slogging through Longmire (we're in the midst of Season 4). I still like the show, mainly for it's characters. However, it suffers from what drives me away from most police procedurals these days: a complete misunderstanding of the law, and plot holes you can walk Godzilla through.

Can't wait for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to come back.

...Still slogging through Longmire (we're in the midst of Season 4). I still like the show, mainly for it's characters. However, it suffers from what drives me away from most police procedurals these days: a complete misunderstanding of the law, and plot holes you can walk Godzilla through...
This would be my one main complaint about Longmire. In the first season produced by Netflix (Season 4, I think), there were episodes in which ol' Walt seemed to pull the solution to the case(s) out of thin air.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The fourth episode of Legion, which continues to be a fascinatingly different and challenging variation on the now overly familiar superhero-discovering-his-powers trope. (*) Dan Stevens is going to be a huge star after Beauty and the Beast makes a gazillion dollars, but he's also giving an unexpectedly sharp and complex performance on this little FX series.

(* This episode cold-opened with a previously unseen character residing on the astral plane[!] breaking the fourth wall and addressing the audience directly[!] about how there are two kinds of stories we tell: The one about a fuzzy little bunny who leaves home, faces challenges, and finds his courage and happy ending; and that of a reckless child who plays too close to the ocean and is dragged under to his doom... And how this particular story is about a fuzzy little bunny... playing by the ocean!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran