Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I gave the uber-hyped Smash pilot a look.

I wasn't impressed, apart from Megan Hilty, who clearly has the right stuff to be a star. But nothing else grabbed me - not the newly composed songs, not the "dramatic backstage Broadway realism", not the supposedly fascinating raiding of Marilyn's legacy (again!), and not the allegedly vividly interesting characters who are all standard stereotypes. I think its chances of "saving" NBC's primetime lineup are slim at best...

Edward

Bartender
In the series of The Evil Dead, that is the best but you can watch the others and see how his acting develops. :p

They're three very different films. The first one is pure, old-school horror and it genuinely did creep me out in parts when I first saw it. Still does, actually. The sequel (conceived of as a quasi-sequel, as the first fifteen minutes or so are essentially a retelling of the first film, so it does stand alone) played it more for laughs, especially in the cut-for-US Network Television version, which nixed out all injuries / results of violence to the degree that Campbell would later describe it as "a sort of demented Warner Brothers cartoon". For my money, number II (subtitled Dead by Dawn) is the best of the series, though I greatly enjoy Army of Darkness also, which contains many of the best one-liners of the franchise.

Bubba Ho Tep is simply stunning. I love how slow it is - it's really a character piece more than anything. His performance as Elvis is totally captivating as it's not merely an impression (we've all seen tremendous impressions of The King), but a projection of what he would have been like at an advanced age. Wonderful stuff. Such a shame the prequel lost its funding...

The last television show I watched was the opening episode of the new season of Being Human. Wonderful stuff, with a couple of very bold moves I greatly appreciated. They will have to carefully avoid Ballykissangel syndrome, but it has the makings of being much more interesting than I had expected. There's also what appears to be a new ghost character, an attractive young lady who, one presumes from her manner of dress, expired in the late Forties or early Fifties (but don't quote me on that if I' out by a few years..... or their wardrobe department is).

They're three very different films. The first one is pure, old-school horror and it genuinely did creep me out in parts when I first saw it. Still does, actually. The sequel (conceived of as a quasi-sequel, as the first fifteen minutes or so are essentially a retelling of the first film, so it does stand alone) played it more for laughs, especially in the cut-for-US Network Television version, which nixed out all injuries / results of violence to the degree that Campbell would later describe it as "a sort of demented Warner Brothers cartoon". For my money, number II (subtitled Dead by Dawn) is the best of the series, though I greatly enjoy Army of Darkness also, which contains many of the best one-liners of the franchise.

Bubba Ho Tep is simply stunning. I love how slow it is - it's really a character piece more than anything. His performance as Elvis is totally captivating as it's not merely an impression (we've all seen tremendous impressions of The King), but a projection of what he would have been like at an advanced age. Wonderful stuff. Such a shame the prequel lost its funding...

The last television show I watched was the opening episode of the new season of Being Human. Wonderful stuff, with a couple of very bold moves I greatly appreciated. They will have to carefully avoid Ballykissangel syndrome, but it has the makings of being much more interesting than I had expected. There's also what appears to be a new ghost character, an attractive young lady who, one presumes from her manner of dress, expired in the late Forties or early Fifties (but don't quote me on that if I' out by a few years..... or their wardrobe department is).

Yeah, the first one is kind of out there. :p

The funny thing in Bubba Ho Tep is that they never directly say that he is Elvis. :p You can come away from it thinking that he was just an impersonator.

Your Being Human is different than ours here. The cast is different but the story is nearly the same---at least the first season is. I stopped watching the BBC production when our version came out. :p Our Aiden isn't as good as yours though. I like our Josh better as yours is just crazy neurotic. :p

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, the first one is kind of out there. :p

A dserved classic... and of course its legend was cemented over here when it was identified and vilified as one of the so-called "video nasties" at the height of that early eighties moral panic.

The funny thing in Bubba Ho Tep is that they never directly say that he is Elvis. :p You can come away from it thinking that he was just an impersonator.

That's what is so beautifully done about it. I much prefer things left open like that. The X Files was vastly superior in the early days when it did that - you wanted to believe in Mulder's paranormal explanation, but you couldn't deny Scully's rationalisation hung together. It lost its way, IMO, later on when it was full-on, obvious paranormal stuff. Sure, there was only so long Scully could stay a sceptic, but every premise is limited, and that was the least of the reasons the show jumped the shark during the penultimate season.

Your Being Human is different than ours here. The cast is different but the story is nearly the same---at least the first season is. I stopped watching the BBC production when our version came out. :p Our Aiden isn't as good as yours though. I like our Josh better as yours is just crazy neurotic. :p

Never seen the US version.... but I've seen very mixed reviews. I'd give it a go, though it seems to me that there are all too many things remade for a US audience - and vice versa - that don't work. I'd prefer to see more original content than this (frankly, a little insulting) notion that "local people won't watch it if it's not in their accent" stuff. Which one is Josh? Is he the dog? I found George's neurotics actually a large part of the appeal, but then I've always found the traditional alpha-male type laughably two-dimensional. ;)

A dserved classic... and of course its legend was cemented over here when it was identified and vilified as one of the so-called "video nasties" at the height of that early eighties moral panic.

That's what is so beautifully done about it. I much prefer things left open like that. The X Files was vastly superior in the early days when it did that - you wanted to believe in Mulder's paranormal explanation, but you couldn't deny Scully's rationalisation hung together. It lost its way, IMO, later on when it was full-on, obvious paranormal stuff. Sure, there was only so long Scully could stay a sceptic, but every premise is limited, and that was the least of the reasons the show jumped the shark during the penultimate season.

Never seen the US version.... but I've seen very mixed reviews. I'd give it a go, though it seems to me that there are all too many things remade for a US audience - and vice versa - that don't work. I'd prefer to see more original content than this (frankly, a little insulting) notion that "local people won't watch it if it's not in their accent" stuff. Which one is Josh? Is he the dog? I found George's neurotics actually a large part of the appeal, but then I've always found the traditional alpha-male type laughably two-dimensional. ;)

I actually thought they were going to bring the original over here and show it on SyFy but they didn't. [huh]
Yes, Josh is the Wolf. :p Well, his is a wolf after all. He should be some kind of alpha. :p
This will give you an idea:
[video=youtube_share;g15BX6AxzoE]http://youtu.be/g15BX6AxzoE[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
289 Cobra

An episode of Honey West. I got the box set for my birthday. ;0
X
BD

The real star of the show!
HoneyWest31-720x540.jpg
:eusa_clap

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer

Ah, so it's on again? I absolutely adore the BBC Being Human and watched it from the beginning. I had no idea how the show it going to proceed without my favorite character.

However, though I watched the US series, I find it so sadly lacking. There is a lot of good in it... but I have to try really hard not to compare because it does pale in comparison on several levels. But if you take it for what it is, it's still enjoyable. Though Sally, the ghost in the US series, is too damn whiney.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ah, so it's on again? I absolutely adore the BBC Being Human and watched it from the beginning. I had no idea how the show it going to proceed without my favorite character.

However, though I watched the US series, I find it so sadly lacking. There is a lot of good in it... but I have to try really hard not to compare because it does pale in comparison on several levels. But if you take it for what it is, it's still enjoyable. Though Sally, the ghost in the US series, is too damn whiney.

I don't think I can watch the US version of Being Human. The UK one is so good. Im actually glad they killed off the vampire. I felt he was hindering the show's direction. But in any account, we will see how the show goes in March when its back for season 4. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn