Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dale and Lori are on my "To Go" list before Shane.
Dale is obsessed with Shane the Alpha Male and Lori is... well Daryl summed it up best- Shut up Olive Oyl!

oh, I can't stand her! Who is the other gal, the one Shane had a tryst with in the car? I hate her too. I cant stand Glen's girlfriend either. Ive always said this show has poorly written women characters.

Edward

Bartender
I loved this show but I can't believe the series revamp! They totally got rid of my two favorite characters! Again, a stroyline that is watering down the werewolf folklore. Its annoying. Grrrrr!

Yeah, I didn't think you'd like that. I loved it, I didn't know anyone was leaving, so it was all news to me. Pleased they got rid of who they did: I didn't see much else for them to do. Imo they did well to restore the central conceit without Ballykissangel syndrome kicking in hard. Hope they get shot of the baby fast: that's goingvto get old fast.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just think the show underestimated George. He had epic potential. I was so excited when he changed at will, actually making him and his daughter more special, but then the old, "he wont survive" came up. WHAT!? These vampires can walk out in day light but werewolves can't change unless there is a full moon and they have no other powers at any other time? Whatever!

The other set of three (ramie/werewolf/ghost) is an interesting twist, but I was hoping for more 'war' stuff and how George, Nina, and Annie's life would be.

Feraud

Bartender
oh, I can't stand her! Who is the other gal, the one Shane had a tryst with in the car? I hate her too. I cant stand Glen's girlfriend either. Ive always said this show has poorly written women characters.
The is Andrea. She is the idiot with no firearm experience who almost killed Daryl because she was trying to prove her worth in the group. She proved it alright..
I agree with you about the poorly written female characters.
My wife and I were watching Homeland and that show also suffered from bad female characters.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles had strong female characters and it was cancelled.. go figure.

Edward

Bartender
CONTAINS BEING HUMAN UK SPOILERS

I just think the show underestimated George. He had epic potential. I was so excited when he changed at will, actually making him and his daughter more special, but then the old, "he wont survive" came up. WHAT!? These vampires can walk out in day light but werewolves can't change unless there is a full moon and they have no other powers at any other time? Whatever!

To be fair, the vampire legend varies considerably between cultures and origins. Our Western notion of the vampire is based mainly on Stoker, but the 'can't come out in the day' thing is a later invention, at least in pop culture terms. As he became stronger and younger-looking, Stoker's Dracula was able to walk the streets in the day. Werewolves, on the other hand, seem to always have been consistent - and distinct from shapeshifters. It might have been interesting to see that explored more, yes, though I can see why they didn't go down that road. All along the show has been about them struggling to remain human, not to be defined by their supernatural natures which they cannot control. For the vamps that has been about the blood - will power to control the addiction; for the dogs, it was all about trying to control or contain their changing. To have him able to change at will is thematically very different. In all likelihood, it was simply the easiest way to write him out. I actually thought it was very clever how they wrote out Nina - all the more shOcking for it being off screen. I had no idea either of them were leaving, so I got the full impact.

The other set of three (ramie/werewolf/ghost) is an interesting twist, but I was hoping for more 'war' stuff and how George, Nina, and Annie's life would be.

I have a feeling this "war" business is going to be the big theme in this series, and the kid will be a big part of it. I'm not at all interested in seeing a cutesy child in the show, but there are questions to be answered about what wolf traits are inherited and the like. It'll be interesting to see if they have the nerve to kill off the kid if it serves the story. The Beeb have certainly been prepared to have something edgy like that in the past (see Torchwood).

I'd like to have seen more of Pearl, myself, though I can see why they didn't keep her on. Two ghosts could be overkill, and it makes sense to keep Annie around for continuity from the original set. It'll be interesting to see whether we get to the end of Annie's story in this series. She has been there to watch so many of them pass, I wonder is that her role - or is it to do with the kid....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner