Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
That After the Thrones is awful. The structure, the hosts, the feel. Whoever had final approval on that deserves a spanking.

What were they thinking. They should look at an episode of "Talking Dead" and see how it should be done! Bright, funny and fast. If you're gonna hire nerds to talk about your show (it's not like they're out dating or anything) at least make em funny nerds!

Worf

Patriots vs Texans

Phil Simms and Jim Nantz are a pleasure to have announce a game. Very little hype, smart insights and they are actually quiet once in awhile.

Recorded if from the night before (avoided all news this morning) and watched the game in a little under 2 hours - fantastic way to do it.

Brady was tossed around, knocked down and sacked way more than normally - and only played his A-game part of the time - but, as is his won't, he brings that A-game at the exact right time.

Last edited:
Patriots vs Texans

Phil Simms and Jim Nantz are a pleasure to have announce a game. Very little hype, smart insights and they are actually quiet once in awhile.

Recorded if from the night before (avoided all news this morning) and watched the game in a little under 2 hours - fantastic way to do it.

Brady was toss around, knocked down and sacked way more than normally - and only played his A-game part of the time - but, as is his won't, he brings that A-game at the exact right time.
As did Dion Lewis. That is the Patriots. What a franchise.
:D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Whoa. The final episode of Sherlock for this season was intense. Quite the twists and turns. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Watched the premiere of Victoria. It was...ok. I wasn't wowed by it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Librarians And The Fatal Separation. Some great twist, plus, I got a kick out of The Monkey King! Plus, plus, plus, a great appearance by Jane Curtin.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That looked and felt a lot more like a series finale than just a season finale for Sherlock.

I thought it was a mess, but it definitely had its moments. Like the phone conversation with poor Molly Hooper. And Sherlock's perfect response to Mycroft's "But it's family." - "That's why he stays!" The plot machinations were increasingly absurd, but whenever the emotions were front and center, it was classic.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
That looked and felt a lot more like a series finale than just a season finale for Sherlock.

I thought it was a mess, but it definitely had its moments. Like the phone conversation with poor Molly Hooper. And Sherlock's perfect response to Mycroft's "But it's family." - "That's why he stays!" The plot machinations were increasingly absurd, but whenever the emotions were front and center, it was classic.

Yes, it most certainly did feel like a series finale! I hope not, but if it has to end, that's a good way to end it.

I thought last week's was more of a mess than this one - I was quite impressed with last night's episode.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Young Pope. new HBO series. I fell asleep twice. It bored me. I feel Jude Law is a good actor, but I also don't care for him. Though, he was good in that movie about the genius editor. This pilot seemed a mess and not very interesting.

Queen Victoria. new PBS series. It wasn't as "serious" as I expected? It felt a little poppy. The lead actress is certainly beautiful, but I wasn't buying her naivete and young girl immaturity. Her whole performance was rather dull and lacked power and nuance. I did like the upstairs/downstairs aspect of it. A good call to cover the underbelly of the operation.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Episodes 1 and 2 of the new Sherlock. Pretty wild, but it's enjoyable to see how they tweak the original canon.
A couple episodes from season one of Foyle's War. The Missus and I definitely like it.
...and, apropos of nothing, S1E1 of Mary Tyler Moore on Hulu.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tales From The Royal Wardrobe. Very interesting. When we see a young guy with droopy pants, we should remember, he has a one on the ridiculous meter compared to past fashions! Cod peaces, hooped dresses that were so wide they would not fit through doors. On the other hand, things we like on this sight were once quite scandalous. George IV wearing trousers, and the short rule of Edward VIII, some one we think of today as a sharp dressed man! My favorite was Victoria. Today we think of her as the scowling old lady in black, but when she was young, she wore very colorful cloths. When visiting Scotland, at the final formal get together, everyone was in their finest drab Tartan, Victoria enters dressed head to toe in pink.

Episodes 1 & 2 of "Victoria" the new PBS / Masterpiece series

As noted by EPS in a post above, this one is a bit less serious than what we've come to expect from the best quality shows - "Man in the High Caste" or "Boardwalk Empire" for example - but I could see it getting better as it felt like they were trying to force a lot of the backstory in - and grab your attention with a few too many contrived conflicts - right off the bat. Hopefully, once the writers and actors hit their groove, and the pressure to "premier" the show is over, it will improve.

In addition to the superfluous speed-telling of too many events, the obvious CGI in the outdoor scenes cheapened the feel as those scenes looked more like video games than lush Masterpiece-quality productions. Lastly in the not-great bucket, the "villains," the Queen's mother and her advisor and the Queen's uncle, were, so far, cardboard bad guys showing little depth or balance.

Okay, all that grumbling not aside, I still liked it because the good parts gave promise. The verdict, IMHO, is still out on Jenna Coleman as the Queen, but she brings energy and passion to the role that might settle down into more nuance and dimension. And of course, Rufus Sewell as the Prime Minister and Queen's advisor and ally (taking time off from his role in "Man in the High Castle" as the most complex Nazi to hit the screen in a long time) lifts the entire production up a full level as he brings gravitas and serious acting that is a joy to watch.

Also EPS is spot on that the "upstairs / downstairs" element personalizes the Queen and makes the entire show more down to earth. As in "Downton Abby," if done well, the "back of the house" narratives will weave into and amplify the "bigger" story.

A bit of a stumble out of the gate, but still enjoyable and showing enough promise that I'll keep coming back.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I considered watching this, but I'm just too backed up with other stuff. (For example, I figured Netflix's The Crown should be a higher priority.) And didn't that film with Emily Blunt from a decade ago, The Young Victoria, cover this story sufficiently?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Episodes 1 & 2 of "Victoria" the new PBS / Masterpiece series

In addition to the superfluous speed-telling of too many events, the obvious CGI in the outdoor scenes cheapened the feel as those scenes looked more like video games than lush Masterpiece-quality productions.

This really bugged me, too! I felt like I'd been jerked out of the story when they showed these scenes. Not good. Still, I liked the first two episodes, but wasn't over the moon about it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I had a mini-marathon of Sherlock yesterday. We were stuck at home due to an ice storm, so I figured, why not? :) Watched all of season two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails