Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What will, or did you get married in?

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Would have done an over the top black tux with tails and tophat ... or the other extreme with khaki's, plain shirt and fedora ...

But, alas, it was my wife's day, not mine. So I wore a black suit with coordinated deep green vest. Very normal ...*sighs*

(just kidding, of course ... I was more than happy to let her choose. I wouldn't have had the guts to do something wild anyway)

Micawber

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
Sharp Micawber, sharp!

The church we are looking at here for having the big day is 1,000 years old as well. We're off this week to talk to the powers that be to discuss dates when it's available. Now we've got the "fun" part of organising everything.

Thanks for the kind words Smithy, I appreciate someone taking the time to comment. Good luck with the organising and may you have many, many years of wedded bliss to follow ;)

Hep Kitten

New in Town
HamletJSD said:
Would have done an over the top black tux with tails and tophat ... or the other extreme with khaki's, plain shirt and fedora ...

But, alas, it was my wife's day, not mine. So I wore a black suit with coordinated deep green vest. Very normal ...*sighs*

(just kidding, of course ... I was more than happy to let her choose. I wouldn't have had the guts to do something wild anyway)

You're my kind of guy, Hamlet.

texasgirl

One Too Many
This is from our wedding in March. We got married in a turn of the century chapel.

stepsbwcrop.jpg

A close up
cutcakecrop.jpg

oddlots

New in Town
I'd always figured I'd get hitched in a nice, well-fitting black tux or maybe a beautiful black suit (if I decided to do a less-traditional ceremony).

However, the current plans and color scheme are leaning towards the purchase of a bespoke double-breasted, brown pinstripe/chalkstripe suit (very Italian cut), with either a white or pink with contrast collar french-cuff shirt. Our colors include brown, which would make a brown suit more harmonious than black, though our other colors (either pink/green or pink/Tiffany blue) would look INCREDIBLE with black! Tie, pocket square, and braces will be co-ordinated with the flowers and aforementioned wedding colors.

Ultimately, my fiancee is going to be main voice in a lot of wedding decisions, but since I'm the artistic one (waaaay too many years in art school) and she knows how long I've wanted to take a proactive role in my own ceremony she's conceded that I should make the decisions that I have experience with (I have a background in music and catering and have a very solid sense of my style choices, so she's involved me in those decisions heavily).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well not the clothes but it's "what we'll be getting married in". We just had the church confirmed for our wedding next July and needless to say we're really excited about it :D

465px-Nidarosdomen.jpg

ramblinBOB

One of the Regulars
a 1930 suit for the honey moon thats right even in bed :D i love vintage more then my wife if i had one i dont il marry the suit theres your anser :eek:

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
haahaha - which wedding?

Well, for my first wedding - a 1927 (date on the tailor's label) soup and fish suit - single-breasted peak lapels, vintage patent shoes with black velvet insets, pique front shirt, wing collar, black bow tie. No Hat.. couldn't find one to suit. Still have the tux, but I couldn't fit into it if my life depended on it. It doesn't, fortunately.

Second - the last and lasting - wedding - vintage striped trousers, vintage (probably 1950's) deep grey jacket, somewhat like a morning coat, but shorter, like a suit jacket, but squared off and coming to mid-thigh, no cutaway, single button, peak lapels. Dove-grey vest, dove-grey necktie, spread collar formal shirt. Black very vintage patents with the built in spats (groomsmen wore actual spats with suits that closely approximated mine), I don't remember the hat... I may not have had one. I hope I can still fit into this one.

My Bride wore a creamy 1920's wedding frock, with a 1920's orange blossomed veil - quite long, but perfectly so. She was Lovely.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
White, white and white.

DSC_7079.JPG

Standard classic tux, vest, white dinner jacket with silk shawl collar. My dad, the best man, and father of the bride wore a standard classic tux, cumberbund, white jacket with fabric shawl collar.

DSC_6961.JPG

I think my father looks better than me.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Anthony Jordan said:
Mrs Jordan not being a vintage fan, at my 2002 wedding I wore a hired morning coat of respectable cut plus rented trousers with my own braces, waistcoat, shirt, collar, etc. The braces were purple silk spottys by Albert Thurston whilst the waistcoat was purple linen, six button, four pocket with notched lapels by Hackett. The shirt was a white cotton tunic by Budd, double-cuffed, worn with a matching stiff semi-cutaway turndown collar, also by Budd. The cufflinks were silver chain-link double-ovals with the "Golden Jubilee" hallmark, appropriate as I was getting married in Jubilee year, whilst my front stud was vintage sterling silver. With this I wore a purple, silver and black check silk tie by M&S, a purple silk handkerchief and patent leather Church's Oxfords. By way of accessories I had a vintage silver lapel vase, bought for me by my wife, holding a discreet floral boutonniere, plus a silver single Albert chain (a family thing) with bloodstone fob, anchoring a 1930 J.W. Benson silver half-hunter pocket watch, and (finally) a silver-topped ebony walking cane.

Anthony.

That sounds quite interesting! I particularly appreciate your accessories sir! Bravo!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I'm planning to wear a full-skirted frock coat with black Balmoral boots, white ascot knotted cravat, white db selvage button peak lapel linen-silk waist-coat - high gorge, white boiled bib shirt, detachable imperial collar and gold accessories with pearl shirt studs and cuff-links. Oh, and white gloves and a silk topper. Striped trousers of course. The frock will have red bemberg rayon lining with black silk edging around the rear vent and front skirt ventings.

I'm having the whole thing made up by my tailor; Mr. Daswani at mysuitshop. He's an exceptional tailor.

My fiance's wearing either an ivory gown from the 1890s or an ivory gown from the teens. She's not sure which yet. Oh, and lace up ankle boots. She's wearing white gold or platinum. I'm wearing yellow gold.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Got married in 1993, second marriage for me, first for my husband. I wore a white cotton brocade Jessica McClintock Victorian-inspired style gown. My husband bought a single breasted black tux, but also found a tail coat. He wore white tie and tails (but no hat) for the wedding, I made his vest out of matching yardage of my dress material. The wedding party gents all had vests made of the matching gals' print dress material. Also pre-digital, so I need to find a wedding pic to scan in.

Oh, I almost forgot- here I am wearing his wedding vest, tie, shirt and tailcoat- altered to fit me for Halloween this year. The vintage 30s tux trousers and silk collapsible opera hat are mine. moi as Marlene Dietrich:
377047417.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters