Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would she ask for?

Heather

Practically Family
With Christmas now upon us, it's gotten ne thinking--what do you think a women of 1940's would have on her wishlist? A new dress? Stockings? Or perhaps more practical things? Things that would be a treat or a luxury during wartime?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
So many of the things she *really* would have wanted would have been on the ration -- sugar, coffee, shoes, things like that. Barring a bit of help from the neighborhood black marketer, Santa would have had to disappoint her on those things. And forget about any possibility at all of getting new appliances -- there just weren't any. A nice treat might be for someone to repair her old vacuum cleaner or washing machine to ensure that it would keep going a while longer.

But she very likely would have wanted and could have gotten fabric for making new clothes or reworking old ones -- sewing and knitting supplies and notions were very useful, practical gifts. Rayon stockings might have also been a nice treat -- by the middle of the war, most women had to make do with cotton, if they could get those at all, but rayons could be found if you got lucky.

Fresh fruit might have been a real treat too -- if you lived in the Northeast, especially, citrus fruits could be very hard to come by due to transportation issues, and some nice ripe oranges or grapefruit would have been very welcome.

A popular holiday gift around here during the war era was off-the-ration meat. If you knew someone who was a hunter, you could have a pretty festive Christmas dinner.

And, of course, Chocolate would always be welcome. Even if it was a half of a D-Bar sent home by hubby overseas.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
If she were in the British Commonwealth at the time and had an American beau, I'm sure the top item would be stockings ;)

According to some American cartoons, the stocking would've been seconded. :D

RD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
A bolt of fabric in a flattering color, spool of ribbons and buttons for revamping/accessorizing existing outfits, ammunition for hunting, sheet music.

Louise Anne

Suspended
If you talking about early 40's then I think LizzieMaine it's the nail on the head.

I would also say that most ladies espeically mothers would put others first before having there own wish list.!

Mind you I cannot help to think a nice new lipstick would be high up the list for many women then.

Maybe you could put me right if I wrong with my thinking here
For a young women going changing from wearing socks to been allowed to wear sheer nylons stocking is a big thing, and there would be a young generation growing up because of rationing would never have worn any so maybe nylone stocking would be very high on there list.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joonie said:
Having your brother/father/beau/husband home and safe....
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And it still does in 2009 for the gals who have brothers/fathers/beaus/husbands/friends overseas.

Some things never change, even if we wish they could. "Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward men" is still a beautiful holiday message. Maybe someday it will be reality.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I have a feeling that a lot of the women during WW2 would have a similar wish list to mine and there would be only one things on it. To have the man who holds my heart home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany