Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I admit it, I am an adult and I eat marshmallows several times a week. A maple favored one sounds outstanding (is it a national brand or something local to your area?). And using the maple favored ones for a rice krispy square - genius!

I recently discover a brand called Smashmallow and have been eating them like they are going out of style: https://smashmallow.com
The maple flavor marshmallows are President's Choice brand. This is the premium house brand of Loblaw's stores in Canada. I got them at No Frills, a Loblaw's chain. I checked the label on the bag and it says they are made in the US for Loblaw's stores so they may be available in the US under a different name, they are definitely available in Canada as Loblaw's and No Frills are national chains.

Later... a search turned up the information that they are sold in the US as Campfire brand Maple Roasters

http://www.campfiremarshmallows.com/seasonal-products/maple-roasters/

The maple flavor marshmallows are President's Choice brand. This is the premium house brand of Loblaw's stores in Canada. I got them at No Frills, a Loblaw's chain. I checked the label on the bag and it says they are made in the US for Loblaw's stores so they may be available in the US under a different name, they are definitely available in Canada as Loblaw's and No Frills are national chains.

Later... a search turned up the information that they are sold in the US as Campfire brand Maple Roasters

http://www.campfiremarshmallows.com/seasonal-products/maple-roasters/

That was very kind of you do to all that research - thank you. I just tried to buy them, but they seem like a fall offering. So I'll be back to the site then to order them.

If they are available in your area, give Smashmallows a try - the mint, mocha and cinnamon are my favorite, but I like them all.

Spaghetti (beef in a slow simmered sauce), toasted sourdough bread, green salad with Goddess dressing.

Learn something new every day. I had never heard of Goddess dressing before, but Googled it and, lo and behold, it's a real dressing and not just a "Babydoll's" house name for it (which is what I thought it might be). And it's got a neat history:

From Wikipedia:

History[edit]
The dressing is named for its tint. The most accepted theory regarding its origins points to the Palace Hotel in San Francisco in 1923, when the hotel's executive chef Philip Roemer wanted something to pay tribute to actor George Arliss and his hit play, The Green Goddess.[1][2] He then concocted this dressing, which, like the play, became a hit. This dressing, which contained anchovies, scallions, parsley, tarragon, mayonnaise, tarragon vinegar, and chives,[3] is a variation of a dressing originated in France by a chef to Louis XIII who made a sauce au vert (green sauce) which was traditionally served with "green eel".[4]

In 1948, the New York Times published a recipe for the dressing that included Worcestershire sauce.[5] Later recipes have included variations such as the addition of avocado or basil.[6]

In the early 1970s, salad dressing maker Seven Seas produced a bottled version of this dressing. It is still made in limited quantities, although the company has since been purchased by Kraft Foods.[6]

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Learn something new every day. I had never heard of Goddess dressing before, but Googled it and, lo and behold, it's a real dressing and not just a "Babydoll's" house name for it (which is what I thought it might be). And it's got a neat history:

From Wikipedia:

History[edit]
The dressing is named for its tint. The most accepted theory regarding its origins points to the Palace Hotel in San Francisco in 1923, when the hotel's executive chef Philip Roemer wanted something to pay tribute to actor George Arliss and his hit play, The Green Goddess.[1][2] He then concocted this dressing, which, like the play, became a hit. This dressing, which contained anchovies, scallions, parsley, tarragon, mayonnaise, tarragon vinegar, and chives,[3] is a variation of a dressing originated in France by a chef to Louis XIII who made a sauce au vert (green sauce) which was traditionally served with "green eel".[4]

In 1948, the New York Times published a recipe for the dressing that included Worcestershire sauce.[5] Later recipes have included variations such as the addition of avocado or basil.[6]

In the early 1970s, salad dressing maker Seven Seas produced a bottled version of this dressing. It is still made in limited quantities, although the company has since been purchased by Kraft Foods.[6]
The brand I have is Annie's. It goes well on a simple green salad. The flavor is strong, so a little goes a long way. I'm also the type of person that likes to taste my veggies in a salad (not dressing, with a side of veggies, like Hubby), so it works for me. :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Learn something new every day. I had never heard of Goddess dressing before, but Googled it and, lo and behold, it's a real dressing and not just a "Babydoll's" house name for it (which is what I thought it might be.)
Have you ever seen John Cleese in the episode called The Waldorf Salad? You'll need a half hour to watch.

Ratatoille....the recipe called for fennel seeds, but I didn't have any so I substituted a pound of hot Italian sausage. Worked out real nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Homemade fish & chips, green salad with extra avocado & white balsamic and shallot dressing.

Lily's favorite part of dinner? Homemade tartar sauce. She asked to lick the serving spoon.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Spice rubbed bone-in pork chops (cilantro, lime juice, cumin, coriander, garlic, Kosher salt, smoked black pepper) grilled over mesquite. Avocado and fresh San Marzano tomato salsa. Corn-on-the-cob.

Cuban seasoned pulled pork that looked good from the grocery store deli (it tasted pretty good, too), yellow rice, black beans with chorizo, fresh cucumbers and tomatoes from a co-workers backyard, and blackberry lemonade.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I made a ragu sauce and we had tagliatelle bolognese. As always, I made enough ragu to make a lasagna for tonight.
Lasagna.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass