Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Cottage pie tonight. Not a pie with a pastry lid, this dish was once deemed 'poor food.' By that, it was all that the poor could afford.
You can use up any veg that's still in the fridge, as long as it's edible. I shall be using a leek, two carrots, a Spanish onion, garlic, one pepper, celery and about six large, maris piper potatoes. This can be a meat or non meat dish. I'm using ground beef.
Peel and chop into small pieces the potatoes and put on to boil. Chop up small, all the veg, crushing the garlic. In a large pan put a generous slug of olive oil, heat up and add the veg, stir quickly to coat the veg with the oil, add the meat. By the way, if you use lamb as the meat, the dish becomes known as Shepherd's Pie.
Make about three quarters of a pint of stock using a stock cube and boiled water. Slowly add the stock, keeping the cooking heat high to reduce the liquid.
Once all the ingredients are cooked thoroughly transfer to a pie dish. Meanwhile, the potatoes should be ready, drain and mash them, adding a spoonful of butter or low fat spread if you are counting calories. Make sure the mash potato is creamy and smooth. Spread over the pie ingredients, brush with a little melted butter and place under a hot grill until the potato surface is browned and crispy. Pour yourself a large glass of Merlot and have a hearty slurp. Serve up the pie and enjoy.
cottage-pie.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Last night, basil-lemon chicken, rice pilaf, broccoli, peas, & Brussels sprouts. Hubby hated the chicken so much he gave his portion to Lily, who gobbled it down because she loved it. He requested me not make it again. :(

Tonight, hamburgers & smashed potato salad.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Breakfast for supper. Sausage and egg tacos with red chili gravy and cheese grits. Almost cold Heineken to wash it down.
Pay attention GHT, I almost read that as Heineken for breakfast. One of the fallacies about us Brits is that we like warm beer. Not so, what we don't like is beer so cold that ice crystals sear the tongue.
In a bar, in Savannah GA, the beer that I ordered came as a glass of ice. This was to chill the glass. The ice was dispensed and replaced by ice cold beer. It was just alien on my palate. Then I made the classic faux pas, on ordering a second beer I asked for the glass not to be chilled.
"YOU LIKE WARM BEER?" Said the waitress, like I had committed a felony. "Not warm, but not arctic cold either." A kick from under the table told me to stop digging the hole.
Elsewhere, after that, I just had a glass of Merlot. You don't chill red wine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner