Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's going on with the FL site?

Do you will still use this Forum with this hassle?

• Yes

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
All forums go thru the same transformation. Build up a membership, start getting sponsors and ads.. then lose control over the whole thing.
More, more, more Until it self implodes and becomes dysfunctional.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm afraid as long as we all dutifully re-enter the forum and post articles so that it remains interesting for those who are not logged in, nothing will change.
Only a massive decline in visitor numbers will trigger a rethink. And not even there on it I would bet.

Mich486

One Too Many
It's not so much the ads... those are annoying but a necessary evil, I think we all know and accept that.

But the problem here is that the whole website just doesn't work anymore... it doesn't load or it takes forever to load. I've been a daily poster/visitor over the past 6 years but since a month or so it's borderline unusable. Yesterday I couldnt get in the whole day.

I also don't get the radio silence from the moderators... I think people would appreciate a more open discussion.

sarevook

New in Town
Yap forum is unusable for me even with ad-blocker, tried on three different browsers. Loading takes forever. Photos are usually not loaded at all. 4/5 attempts I get loading error and have to refresh. I'm looking here less and less often as it's barely usable.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Brutal again here this morning.

To all those who have posted … I wish I could “like” but that doesn’t even work.

I’ll try again later, I guess.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I also don't get the radio silence from the moderators... I think people would appreciate a more open discussion.
The fact that the moderators don't speak up shows the contempt they have for the members. If I did such a bad job I would have been fired long ago. But maybe it's also an opportunity to detoxify yourself digitally or maybe the chance/time to create a new site.

The sporadic nature of the site is super frustrating. I used to check in a couple times a day, now I give it a shot in the AM and if it doesn't work I don't even try the rest of the day. I wonder if VLJ is experiencing the same issues?

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Currently there are 62 members on the site and some 1200+ guests. What, not who are these guests?? Are they bots or some other nefararious crap that slow down sites like this??? Yes ads are blinking on my right and below with extreme consistancy which I totally ignore; are these ads the cause of the slow down or is it the "guests" that never seem to become members???

I really enjoy the site so I tried last night to get a free ad blocker. This did not work at all as it essentially froze the site so I killed the ad blocker and I am back to ignoring the ads.

I think the ad issue is pretty much a web wide issue in that about once a month I have to go in and clean up FB and calm it down. But here there is no way to "clean out" the crap here as on FB.

Here's a thought; how about Fedora Lounge creating a FB Group and running off there? I have no idea how many "real" members there are but it might be an option.

Y'all have a nice sloooooow day getting on here to read this!!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I stopped checking in frequently due to website/pictures not loading properly. I dont mind the ads per se, but if they are what causes these loading issues, they have to go. Find a different way to cover costs to host this and if this is not about covering cost but generating revenue, then with all due respect, go find a job instead of utiziling your members intellectual property.

DEV.Woulf

New in Town
I noticed last week as well but thought it was just me. It's all over the place. Sometimes it loads right up like just now. But sometimes it takes 15 seconds or even up to a minute or over. Sometimes it doesn't load at all or doesn't fully load correctly without some images. No ads for me as I use an Adblocker because the ads kill readability on the site. I don't know what's doing it but it's very frustrating as I research jackets!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
The slowdown isn't caused by ads, it's the host. We're likely going to have to upgrade to a host that can handle the traffic. We've been working to solve it for weeks now, and still are having major issues.
Thank you Nathan, hope you get it sorted soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner