Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's In Your Bathroom Library?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
AmateisGal said:
I may be one of the weird ones, but I have never understood why people read in the bathroom. :D I never have. I go in, do my business, and get out again. No need to linger! lol

I think with me it all goes back to childhood -- I grew up in a very very small house, with a very very annoying brother and sister, and a very loud mother who didn't like that I wasted my time reading when I could be working -- she'd even snatch the cereal box off the table if she caught me reading the back of it. The bathroom was about the only place where I could be guaranteed quiet and privacy.

Nowadays -- well, I don't eat enough bran, and one needs to do something to pass the time.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
LizzieMaine said:
I think with me it all goes back to childhood -- I grew up in a very very small house, with a very very annoying brother and sister, and a very loud mother who didn't like that I wasted my time reading when I could be working -- she'd even snatch the cereal box off the table if she caught me reading the back of it. The bathroom was about the only place where I could be guaranteed quiet and privacy.

Nowadays -- well, I don't eat enough bran, and one needs to do something to pass the time.

Mom blamed herself. She said she put me on a potty chair with a locking tray in front like a high chair... and left me there with a picture book until the mission was accomplished. Nothing to do but read...

wahine

Practically Family
I always wanted something to read in my bathroom, but since it's so small and the only (tiny!) place to place anything to read is close to the shower and the sink, I never did cause I didnt wanna have the the book ruined.
Finally, a few weeks ago, I found the perfect reading and wetting material:
a small book with movie quotes from the 30s to the 90s, called "Come up and see me sometime"
("Ich will nichts von dir, ich will nur dich" is the German title).
It was only 1 Euro, so it doesn't matter if it gets wet.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AmateisGal said:
I may be one of the weird ones, but I have never understood why people read in the bathroom. :D I never have. I go in, do my business, and get out again. No need to linger! lol

Hi

Obviously you're either not old enough, or don't have anyone to get away from.

lol

Must be nice.

Later

Ah yes, nothing like having a bit of a read in the Contemplation Chamber. I've got so many books that it's practically crowding me out of house and home that there's always some kind of handy reading material within grabbing range no matter where in the house I am.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Architectural Digest (the only issue I ever bought, from 1987), two recent Vanity Fair and a few recent J. Peterman Catalogues.
Those are all for guests, of course...

Likewise issues of Vanity Fair. And the latest Laura Ashley home catalog. No better place to feel dissatisfied with your home than the loo.

PrairieSunrise said:
What a great thread!

We have 3 bathrooms, and the reading material in them varies by who typically uses 'em.

In the downstairs loo there are issues of Car, F1, Trout Fisherman and Hi-Fi Choice. That is not the bathroom I use!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
- A number of recent National Geographic magazines (2008-present)
- A number of recent Archaeology magazines (2008-present)
- The Serial Killer Files by Harold Schechter, actually just finished this...
- The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir AC Doyle, this sits in the bedroom or the bathroom, wherever I left off lol
- Uncle John's Bathroom Reader (can't remember which #) by Bathroom Readers' Institute

grundie

One of the Regulars
The current issue of The Railway Magazine (UK)
A copy of the TTL cookbook (it's about electronics)
A very beaten up copy of Robert Opie's 1930s Scrapbook
A copy of The Phoenix, a Dublin based satirical mag.

And a copy of Viz Comic (sorry).

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
It's so funny that so many women have answered this thread. I was certain that reading in the bathroom was a male pursuit.

My choices generally run to mysteries like Agatha Christie or Ellery Queen or any classic.

sportell

New in Town
My best friend noticed we have a rather eclectic collection in our bathroom. My Step-mum has given me a few baskets over the years and now I know what to do with them. :) In our main bathroom we have a Latin Grammar book and a book of everyday phrases in Latin (My Fella and I are trying to learn so I can work on another Masters and then my PhD.) An issue of Archeology, Atlas Shrugged and a book of newspaper articles Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote before she became the famous authoress we know and love. It's mostly farm wife type of observations.

The bathroom downstairs is the kids' bathroom and we haven't put anything there yet.

The toilet in the cellar needs some stuff though. It's for people coming from the little guest house outside and should have some good stuff for them, since we'll have a house guest next month for a week or two. Any suggestions? He's an avid D&D type gamer, in our Medieval group and loves the weird. :) And he's just getting back from downrange, so he could use some fun stuff after 6 months of misery.

Veronica

New in Town
Hum...(French) Poetry...really....

- 2 books of 500 pages each : Victor Hugo and Baudelaire
- In the room since 2001 ^^

As LizzieMaine explained, this is the only place where I can have a few minutes really alone, with my brain all to myself.

Puzzicato

One Too Many

Edward

Bartender
Sportell, if it's still around, Dragon magazine was always great for that sort of stuff.

Fletch said:
My laptop.

Yes, I have posted to FL from the can.

Isn't that why they invented home wifi? [huh]

When I'm not online while having a poo, I do like to read in there. Quite honestly, there are times I'll sit down just to read, not out of necessity.... Anyhoo.... My magazine rack currently is stuffed with several issues of The Chap and Milkcow, along with a few recent guitar related publications. There is probably also a Charlie Brooker (satirical columnist with The Guardian, a UK newspaper) anthology in there somewhere. Generally i have to work around a cat; both my girls like to follow me to the bathroom, but Greta insists on actually sitting on my knee while I'm on the john.

Sunny

One Too Many
Until a couple of them moved out earlier this year, I shared a bathroom with three brothers. Although I'm the most voracious, constant reader in the house, they were the ones leaving stuff in there. Usually there was at least one coin book, often the current Red Book, at least one World War II or Military History magazine, and sometimes something else. Currently the one remaining brother is responsible for a copy of the Iliad. At least I think that's what it is. It's facedown, but I caught a few words from the back and I think that's what it is. It does have to do with his Ancient Greek history class.

Our other bathroom does have a magazine rack, with a variety of magazines and newsletters. I think the most recent thing I saw in there was the recent issue of Dallas Theological Seminary's Kindred Spirit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21