Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Edward

Bartender
Gah, not the "We hate tattoos and don't want anyone else to get them - especially women! Also think the technology hasn't moved on in a century" bridgde.... again. Seriously, we've had that thread a million times already...

Whatever happened to "Elderly"?

The cult of youth.

No problem with sneaking in the odd bottle of drink and chocolate raisins from a local shop, especially when you have to pay way over a fair price for the same item in those multiplex cinema's we all hate so much.

Concession are expensive because that is where the cinema make their money. Many films run at a loss; most break even. Surprisingly few make very significant profit themselves across a cinematic run as a whole. That being the case, I don't begrudge them the mark-up if it helps my local cinema stay in business. If I don't want to pay the price, I can always wait until I'm out before I snack.

Tell you what, though.... I'd pay *more* for a cinema ticket somewhere that refused to sell popcorn.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Concession are expensive because that is where the cinema make their money. Many films run at a loss; most break even. Surprisingly few make very significant profit themselves across a cinematic run as a whole. That being the case, I don't begrudge them the mark-up if it helps my local cinema stay in business. If I don't want to pay the price, I can always wait until I'm out before I snack.

Tell you what, though.... I'd pay *more* for a cinema ticket somewhere that refused to sell popcorn.

We don't sell popcorn for certain events -- lectures, some types of concerts -- but the fact of the matter is that along with fountain soda, popcorn is by far the most profitable item a theatre can sell.

When you buy a movie ticket, most of the money goes to the distributor and the studio -- as in about 90 percent for a big first-run picture. The longer the film stays, the higher the percentage for the theatre, but the audience tends to fall off sharply after the first week. The only way the average theatre can make enough money to stay open at all is thru concession sales. And that's why the markups are so high -- don't blame your local house, blame Hollywood, and the pampered, overpriced celebrities who need their millions.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Rear automobile window stickers of a stylized Calvin from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip urinating on whatever bugs the owner. And can we make the owners of these vehicles obsolete while we're at it? I suppose we'll never run short of people with bad taste.

Im contemplating having one of these made of him urinating on himself, who in turn urinates on himself, ad infinitum.

I think it would be a piece of modern art in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Feraud

Bartender
Gah, not the "We hate tattoos and don't want anyone else to get them - especially women! Also think the technology hasn't moved on in a century" bridgde.... again. Seriously, we've had that thread a million times already...
I zoned out after the first hundred thousand.. ;)

CharleneC

Familiar Face
When you buy a movie ticket, most of the money goes to the distributor and the studio -- as in about 90 percent for a big first-run picture. The longer the film stays, the higher the percentage for the theatre, but the audience tends to fall off sharply after the first week. The only way the average theatre can make enough money to stay open at all is thru concession sales. And that's why the markups are so high -- don't blame your local house, blame Hollywood, and the pampered, overpriced celebrities who need their millions.

I can imagine a time in the future where someone will be surprised to learn that in the past people were paying up to $50 to go on a date just for movie tickets, popcorn and soda. They will think we were foolish to do this just to see some movie that was *marketed* as something you should see.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
When It comes to tats. To each their own.

I personally would never get one. Not because of the pain, the permanency, or anything.

I am simply too fickle and don't like anything for more than a day at a time. So a tat is like the kiss of death.

Day 1: Hell yeah!
Day 2: @&$!!&$@$&!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a Red Heeler to do that, especially paper towels.

Unless it's (1) subject to decomposition or (2) something with a sharp edge I don't bother to pick it up until the next time the vacuum cleaner is out. Part of advancing age is an increased awareness that nobody *really* gives a damn if there's a scrap of paper or a clot of mud or a tuft of cat hair on your kitchen floor. And also the worse your eyes get the less likely you are to even *see* said crap in the first place.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran