Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Edward

Bartender
That's what I'm told. The more I hear about other areas the more I love the NYC area.
Despite the huge number of different types of people interacting with each other on a daily basis we get along incredibly well.

Despite? I'd say more than likely because of the variety. In my experience, intolerance breeds much more quickly in a mono-dominant culture, or in areas where two dominant and antagonistic cultures border each other. The greater the mix, the less 'difference' matters.

Feraud

Bartender
Edward, I mis-spoke(typed?) earlier. It is because of the variety and proximity to each other that creates a more tolerant and respectful group. That's not to say there are no intolerant ideas, actions, and crime in the city. The diversity of this city breeds a respect (sometimes begrudging) for your fellow man. Even if it's the respect to keep an opinion to yourself!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I find Irish Coffee morally offensive. What sort of pervert would ruin good whiskey by pouring that coffee muck into it?

You have a point, but how do you define a good whisky? Single Malt? Jamesons Irish Whiskey is owned by the French distiller: Pernod Ricard. Enough said.

3fingers

One Too Many
Being dinged for a dollar in every store in town has gotten completely out of control. Many times multiple stores are collecting for the same cause at the same time, and there are usually 3 or 4 different groups with these rackets going on any given day. Between work related purchases and personal shopping I would spend 20 or 30 dollars a week on this if I gave to all of them every time. I give a couple of dollars for each cause, then politely decline with a no thank you. Most are fine with that, but recently I have witnessed attitude from clerks if people don't allow themselves to be extorted. The causes are good (usually St. Judes, MDA or the like) and I am very thankful that my children are healthy so I am glad to help as I can. We have made decisions at home on what charities we will support and while I am happy to give a dollar here and there for these things, the dollar strongarm crews need to be retired. Being harassed at every checkout counter does not leave me feeling charitable.

Being dinged for a dollar in every store in town has gotten completely out of control. Many times multiple stores are collecting for the same cause at the same time, and there are usually 3 or 4 different groups with these rackets going on any given day. Between work related purchases and personal shopping I would spend 20 or 30 dollars a week on this if I gave to all of them every time. I give a couple of dollars for each cause, then politely decline with a no thank you. Most are fine with that, but recently I have witnessed attitude from clerks if people don't allow themselves to be extorted. The causes are good (usually St. Judes, MDA or the like) and I am very thankful that my children are healthy so I am glad to help as I can. We have made decisions at home on what charities we will support and while I am happy to give a dollar here and there for these things, the dollar strongarm crews need to be retired. Being harassed at every checkout counter does not leave me feeling charitable.
None of them get fifty cents out of me much less a dollar. lol lol

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Around here most of the charities that stores associate with I have never heard of. I don't give my money to charities I haven't checked out extensively, so I always say no thank you. What happened to change jars next to the counter? But I guess nobody pays with cash anymore.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the UK we have a chain of upmarket supermarkets name of Waitrose. It was actually a partnership of Mr. Waite & Mr. Rose, but I digress. When you shop at Waitrose, you are given a plastic, coin size disc. At the exit door are three, see through, perspex collecting containers. Each has a heading for the charity that will benefit from your token. The charities are changed regularly, but all are local good causes. Waitrose have probably charged you more than if you shopped at some budget store, but nontheless, charity muggers are non existent in our supermarkets. They are, however, on every High Steet in the country, trying to get you to sign up for dubious causes.

In the UK we have a chain of upmarket supermarkets name of Waitrose. It was actually a partnership of Mr. Waite & Mr. Rose, but I digress. When you shop at Waitrose, you are given a plastic, coin size disc. At the exit door are three, see through, perspex collecting containers. Each has a heading for the charity that will benefit from your token. The charities are changed regularly, but all are local good causes. Waitrose have probably charged you more than if you shopped at some budget store, but nontheless, charity muggers are non existent in our supermarkets. They are, however, on every High Steet in the country, trying to get you to sign up for dubious causes.

Charity Muggers! :rofl:

There's also the campaigners who want you to sign their petitions. When confronted by them I usually claim to be a visitor from Canada. :p

There's also the campaigners who want you to sign their petitions. When confronted by them I usually claim to be a visitor from Canada. :p
When my wife and I were younger these people avoided us like we had the plague; now they accost us at every opportunity. Because most of them approach us and ask, "Are you a registered voter?" we used to tell them "No", but more often than not that led to them saying, "I can register you here if you'd like..." and we'd have to endure the pursuant conversation about such. Now we tell them, "Our son does that, and we've already signed all of his," and they leave us alone. :D

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I have 2 rules.

1) I support anyone who helped me when I was in trouble

2) I don't give charity to people who are way richer than me, like doctors.

You would be surprised how much money this saves.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*The word "quirky."

*People who think "radio acting" and "voice acting" are the same thing.

*People who think "sound effects" and "Foley effects" are the same thing.

*People who think "font" and "typeface" are the same thing.

*Night games in the World Series.

*Packaged orange juice "with pulp added" so you pay the same price for less actual juice.

*Full-scale musical performances at the seventh-inning stretch.

*Buzzfeed.

*Marketers calling mothers "moms"

*American Idol.

*People who care what happens on "American Idol."

*People who are amazed when you have no idea who is on "American Idol."

*People who consider every tragedy in the news an excuse for half-witted "humor."

*People who consider every tragedy in the news an excuse for half-witted conspiracy theories.

*Corporations with stupid, meaningless, focus-grouped names.

*Focus groups.

*People who pretend they "get" modern art.

*Giant-foam-head costumed sports mascots.

*Internet polls.

*People who take internet polls seriously.

*The way people look when they swipe their fingers across a cellphone screen.

*"Fifty Shades of Grey."

*People who over-pronounce ethnic names to call attention to their own correctness.

*Smarmy soft-focus car commercials.

*Affinity credit cards.

*Celebrities who bill themselves as "legends."

*Astroturfing.

*Erectile-dysfunction commercials full of weaselly euphemisms.

*The suffix "-alicious."

GHT

I'll Lock Up
*The word "quirky."
As in: A word often used by narcissistic scenesters, when they describe their oh-so-unique selves,
in their Livejournal user info pages in attempts to sound like interesting people?

*People who think "radio acting" and "voice acting" are the same thing.
You mean it isn't?

*People who think "sound effects" and "Foley effects" are the same thing.
Is the removing of a fedora a foley effect?

*People who think "font" and "typeface" are the same thing.
Now you are being silly. Everyone knows that a font is where the Minister tries to drown you.

*Night games in the World Series.
So cricket is not the only game with a bat and ball that's played at night?
Blame the Americans, I say.

*Packaged orange juice "with pulp added" so you pay the same price for less actual juice.
Added from what? It had pulp in it before it was juiced.

*Full-scale musical performances at the seventh-inning stretch.
Sounds like a weird sort of ball game. We have cricket, but by no stretch of the imagination do we have seven innings.

*Buzzfeed.
Honey!

*Marketers calling mothers "moms"
I know, let's call them; "Childfree!"

*American Idol.
**** Off! We Brits lay claim to the most idol.

*People who care what happens on "American Idol."
You mean that they are not to idle to care. Proves my point about the Brits.

*People who are amazed when you have no idea who is on "American Idol."
And their problem is?

*People who consider every tragedy in the news an excuse for half-witted "humor."
Uh-Oh!

*People who consider every tragedy in the news an excuse for half-witted conspiracy theories.
So the Titanic wasn't the reason that JFK was assassinated. You jest?

*Corporations with stupid, meaningless, focus-grouped names.
I am sure that the Steering Committee, for the assimilation of islamic muslim women, into western society, will have something to say about this.

*Focus groups.
Look you are not being fair. If a group of people want to go out for a cruise in their Ford Focus cars. surely, that's their business.

*People who pretend they "get" modern art.
Dahrlink, you couldn't be more wrong. I so get Picasso, his two cubes were actually saying: Balls to you all!

*Giant-foam-head costumed sports mascots.
Been around for centuries:
cerne1.jpg

*Internet polls.
Polls have become indispensable to finding out what people think and how they behave. They pervade commercial and political life. Poll results are constantly reported by national and local media to a sceptical public. Seemingly everyone has been contacted by a pollster or someone posing as one. There is no escape from the flood of information and disinformation from polls. The internet has enhanced both the use and misuse of such polls. Any student therefore should be able to reliably tell a good poll from a bad one. Bad ones are distressingly commonplace on the web.

*People who take internet polls seriously.
So let's forget The Tea Party. I'm with you on that one.

*The way people look when they swipe their fingers across a cellphone screen.
It's almost like they are playing footsie, only with themselves, and with their upper digits. Almost like being a voyeur on a
metaphoric mastubation.

*"Fifty Shades of Grey."
Or, how to interperet the Kamasutra, western style.

*People who over-pronounce ethnic names to call attention to their own correctness.
Not unlike new parents that indulge in the calling of their firstborn, and everyother born, with a you kneek name, as in Bratttttleigh.

*Smarmy soft-focus car commercials.
Smarmy? If it ends up with sex on the back seat...........................Smarm on.

*Affinity credit cards.
WTF are affinity credit cards?

*Celebrities who bill themselves as "legends."
Well if they don't, nobody else will.

*Astroturfing.
Ah, yes, turfing, singing in Welsh. As in grassroots identity. Astroturfing, singing at the moon, in Welsh. Ok the moon's a planet. Try telling that to the Welsh.

*Erectile-dysfunction commercials full of weaselly euphemisms.
I have thought of at least half a dozen responses to this one, problem is, I enjoy being a member of this forum. The responses might just be in conflict with forum rules.

*The suffix "-alicious."
Well I am with you on this one. And I would add: ability, as in: "Yesability." And, itude. A pun on attitude. I once saw some graffiti that played on the profane four letter word, so reviled by women, starting with a C. It mocked this suffix in a clever way, but it would have been lost on most women because of that extremely distasteful word.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, I can honestly say I've never been part of a focus group.
I can't pay attention that long, so I've never been invited to one. :D

American Idol....blech
That seems to have spawned numerous other copycat shows just like it.
Just what we needed.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You mean it isn't?

Absolutely not. "Voice actors" record dialogue to be used along with filmed images, usually animation. The voices are often recorded in separate tracks and exist only as a finished performance after being mixed by a sound editor. "Radio actors" have no accompanying images at all -- and the acting technique is entirely different. The performance is done in real time, by actors grouped around a microphone, allowing face-to-face interaction and reaction as the lines are read.

Many radio actors became voice actors after radio died, but very few people who started as voice actors can become competent as radio actors, and it irritates me tremendously to see the two disciplines held as equivalent. It requires far more skill -- and talent -- to effectively act for radio.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*The word "wellness."

*Eyeglass frames named after celebrities.

*People who plan their entire Thanksgiving weekend around "Black Friday."

*The phrase "I'm lovin' it."

*People who think the toppings on a hamburger are more important than the meat.

*Pencils made from compressed sawdust.

*Hipster graffiti on traffic signs.

*The phrase "old-timey."

*"Nostalgia" as a marketing tool.

*Doctors' waiting rooms that offer you only the choice of "Diabetic Living" or "People" magazine.

*People who justify every irritating habit they have by claiming to be "a little bit OCD."

*Televised radio talk shows.

*The doctrine of "personal exceptionalism."

*The word --and the concept of -- "badass."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR