Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

*People who think the toppings on a hamburger are more important than the meat.

Well it is if that topping is bacon. :p

*Televised radio talk shows.

969353_223339781175021_176872958_n.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Edward, I mis-spoke(typed?) earlier. It is because of the variety and proximity to each other that creates a more tolerant and respectful group. That's not to say there are no intolerant ideas, actions, and crime in the city. The diversity of this city breeds a respect (sometimes begrudging) for your fellow man. Even if it's the respect to keep an opinion to yourself!

Ah! Gotcha. Possibly in some parts of the US, the Second Amendment enforces a level of politeness, too. ;)

You have a point, but how do you define a good whisky? Single Malt? Jamesons Irish Whiskey is owned by the French distiller: Pernod Ricard. Enough said.

Meh, I'm indifferent to who owns it - it's still being distilled in Ireland by folks who know what they're doing... I'm open to a nice blend too. Anything out of Bushmills is grad, I like Jamesons.... Actually, now I think about it, I don't think I've encountered an Irish whiksey I didn't like. The Scots stuff is mostly grand, but I'd pass on Bells again.

In the UK we have a chain of upmarket supermarkets name of Waitrose. It was actually a partnership of Mr. Waite & Mr. Rose, but I digress. When you shop at Waitrose, you are given a plastic, coin size disc. At the exit door are three, see through, perspex collecting containers. Each has a heading for the charity that will benefit from your token. The charities are changed regularly, but all are local good causes. Waitrose have probably charged you more than if you shopped at some budget store, but nontheless, charity muggers are non existent in our supermarkets. They are, however, on every High Steet in the country, trying to get you to sign up for dubious causes.

I'm rarely in Waitrose, but that struck me as a good idea. Chuggers not so much. I was shocked when I discovered that on average it's a year before a charity sees any money from someone signed up by a chugger, after the commission is paid to the agency. That said, the charities who use them must be happy with what they get or there wouldn't be so many of them around. They're irritating, but I can see the bonus from a charity point of view to getting people signed up. I've given more to Help the Aged at three quid a month (which I never miss, it's the price of a pint in the West End) across fifteen years than I imagine I ever would have in any one go.

*The word "quirky."

Tell you what word I hate: "normalcy" in place of normality. Gets rights under my skin, to a "MARLOWE ANGRY! MARLOWE SMASH!" degree.

*Full-scale musical performances at the seventh-inning stretch.

I hate sport anyhow, but... I went to a couple of ice hockey games with my bother, who's a fan, years ago. The action in that game seems to run on for two minutes at a time. In the thirty seconds between plays, or whatever they're called, they had a dj who would play thirty seconds of a song each time. It was the most irrtating thing I ever experienced, like some ungodly, Cthulu-summoning concoction of sport and Simon Cowell for people with AD/HD.

*American Idol.

*People who care what happens on "American Idol."

*People who are amazed when you have no idea who is on "American Idol."

Quite honestly, when I rule the world, it'll take me a week to decide which of these goes up against the wall first (exapand American Idol to include all Simon Cowell and related product. His death shall be slow and upon a toilet).

*Erectile-dysfunction commercials full of weaselly euphemisms.

I'd pay good money to watch an erectile dysfunction commercial you'd make! ;)

*The phrase "I'm lovin' it."

Phrase? Trade-mark, surely. I associate it with Justin Timberlake's smug face, for some reason I don't recall.

CataWhatas

New in Town
Writing on the seat of pants.

Pants worn with the crotch around ones knees.

The lack of underwear with a skirt above the knees. Add in the total inability to get in or out of a car gracefully and sit with your legs closed.

Reality television in general.

The airing of social dirty laundry on whatever the social media site of choice is.

I sound like my mother.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, when I go to Walmart, I don't see anything the least bit entertaining, especially since we got our "Super Walmart." All I can think of when I walk in the place is that scene from Metropolis with the long lines of demoralized, hopeless worker-drones. It is a uniquely joyless place.

Actually, when I go to Walmart, I don't see anything the least bit entertaining, especially since we got our "Super Walmart." All I can think of when I walk in the place is that scene from Metropolis with the long lines of demoralized, hopeless worker-drones. It is a uniquely joyless place.

Not Walmart but it's pretty much the same. :p

[video=youtube;vzRkwa2qwxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzRkwa2qwxY[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine;1713003 *The phrase "old-timey." [/QUOTE said:
Thats funny, I have not heard that since the 60s. We would use that phrase to reefer to any thing pre 1930s. If we would see a Model A driving down the street, one of us would say, "look at that old-timey car", funny, since they were not all that old at the time!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Spiting

Spitting! I am sick and tired of people spitting every where. Not just young people, all ages. I even see, young attractive women, turn to the side and hock a big one! I certainly do not want to kiss her any more. Remember, I grew up in the West, with Chewing Tobacco, and I do not remember seeing this. I thought there were City Ordinances?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Calling something "sexy" that has nothing to do with sex-appeal.

"That's a sexy kitchen/bathroom/lamppost/rug/couch/skyscraper"

WHATEVER!

Unless it's wearing boxer-shorts or a bikini, it ain't sexy.

Not Walmart but it's pretty much the same. :p

[video=youtube;vzRkwa2qwxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzRkwa2qwxY[/video]

Not the same at all. It's more like "welcome to walmart, you're a drain on my time and I wish you would **** off"

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot