Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best hats for different occasions?

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
-I won't wear a ball cap unless I'm 10-years-old... or playing baseball.
-I have a white fedora but can rarely find anything to wear it with.
-I will never, ever wear a fedora with less than a 2-3/8 inch brim. Thimbles are for sewing.
-I don't wear my hat in church, or at a fancy dinner, or in a theater.
-I don't wear a straw in cold weather.
-I am not against homburgs, but they look terrible on me regardless.
-I have never seen an occasion for casual wear of a top hat.
-And that is about the end of my guidelines for myself. All other fedoras are fair game.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I believe you get what you feel ok with and put it on your head !!!

I used to be more on fedoras and panamas until I got a nice Resistol Stagecoach guided by Joao, now I feel ok with wide brims also !

The only thing about me is that I dont like how a hat with a brim smaller than 2 1/2 " look on me....anyway I have 3 beautiful Straw Borsos with 2 1/4 brims !

I even wear them with shorts, no flip flops, but shorts and sneakers, too siders or penny loafers...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have never seen an occasion for casual wear of a top hat.
There has never been a more sophisticated and dominating hat in fashion than the top hat. When the first top hat was worn by the haberdasher John Hetherington in 1797, it caused a near riot. According to a newspaper account, “passersby panicked at the sight. Several women fainted, children screamed, dogs yelped, and an errand boy’s arm was broken when he was trampled by the mob.” So Hetherington was taken to court for wearing “a tall structure having a shining luster calculated to frighten timid people.”
The Top Hat is based on a riding hat, from the days when only the wealthy could afford a horse. It's added height is probably the source of the "High Hat," expression.
American reaction to the Top Hat is understandably mixed. On the one hand you have the caricature of Uncle Sam wearing his Top Hat and on the other, you have the last president to be sworn in wearing a Top Hat, or any other hat.
tricky dicky.jpg

Or an Abe Lincoln look alike contest ... .
We have a couple of members in our Rebels Against Razors Victorian Mens Social Club who wear top hats a lot during the Dec holiday season; Charles Dickens & all. One of the guys has a small set of LED Christmas lights that run off a watch battery. He will sometimes lay those around the brim at the ribbon.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
One thing I've learned , never say never ... .

It will bite you . Better to say , LORD willing or with The LORD'S Help ... . I've lived long enough to see and experience that . One thing you can count on is things will change , but GOD never does . I always wondered how those lights worked on people . hmm watch battery ... .

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
Personally, I have no problem at all with a black fedora. I don't "get" the idea that some say it is "too formal" of a color. That concept makes no sense to me at all.

As to wearing a topper at some sort of recreation event like the cyberpunk events (or whatever they are called), or Victorian events, I see the deal with that. But what I was saying is that I have never seen a place outside reenacting events where one could wear a topper.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I have no problem at all with a black fedora. I don't "get" the idea that some say it is "too formal" of a color. That concept makes no sense to me at all.

I agree with this. It may be because I wear a lot of blacks, dark blues, and grays, but I sometimes feel most comfortable in a black fedora rather than a lighter color. I've never perceived a black fedora as being too formal. I'm not gothic either, but some people in this day and age might view wearing a black fedora as "Gothic".

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Best pic I could come up with. It's obviously a modern hat & LED lights don't put out any heat to damage the hat anyway.
24p9chy.jpg
That's a great idea, you could use it as a novel Christmas hat, then, a month later, on January 26th, you could make a few holes around the brim with rivet gun, thread the lights into the holes to hang down and you will have just about the best hat to celebrate Australia Day.
aussie hat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails