Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Funniest Things to happen to you in vintage?

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
dr greg said:
I had to go to court one day as witness in a matter so I dressed up in a 3-piece and hat (why not?), first I was told by the security guy to "check your weapon" over there, and then once inside the complex and waiting to be called, I was approached by several toothless tattooed types in brand new plastic clothes from K-mart.."hey man are you like, my lawyer?" Nope said I, but I'm in more trouble than you, they backed off real quick...very amusing day.......
lol That's a classic! I can just imagine the looks on their faces. :eusa_clap

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Swanky...

When I was in college in the late 80's my friend and I went to Boston for a long weekend. We had dinner at the "top of the Hub" restaurant in the Prudential Tower. We both wore white dinner jackets. I had a plaid tie and cummberbund (something close to a dress Stewart) and sported a boater. Anyway, we took the T and as we were exiting the station we passed a couple of High School teens that looked at us and one said, "Swanky modes, dudes." (Wasn't 80's jargon quaint?) We just nodded and said thanks, but laughed about it when we were out of ear shot. We gave each other looks as in "what does that even mean?" For years after we'd pass each other and one of us would say, "swanky modes, dude."

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss 1929 said:
but it is funny!
We have an all-girl vintage club called Angels On Toast, and we meet in places for tea, cocktails, whatever. One day we were all in San Francisco's Chinatown together, and the attire was required to be "The Women" (circa 1939, not that current excrescence). So here we are trotting down Grant Avenue in our fabulous Rosalind Russell hats and Joan Crawford shoulder pads, and a drunken (I hope) tourist lets loose with "What's this, the F&*%^$# Renaissance Faire?"
Dude, you're only about 350 years off...And he was wearing the usual khaki shorts, t-shirt and fanny pack... my eyes...

Love the term "current excrescence." This story is just brilliant. Khaki shorts, t-shirt (no doubt with something written or depicted on it) and a FANNY PACK.

The very best, funniest comment on fanny packs occurs in the fine artistic film HOSTEL. (The film is gory, but the fanny pack thing happens before all the gore starts.) The true doofosity of fanny packs is gloriously revealed.

TraderRic said:
When I was in college in the late 80's my friend and I went to Boston for a long weekend. We had dinner at the "top of the Hub" restaurant in the Prudential Tower. We both wore white dinner jackets. I had a plaid tie and cummberbund (something close to a dress Stewart) and sported a boater. Anyway, we took the T and as we were exiting the station we passed a couple of High School teens that looked at us and one said, "Swanky modes, dudes." (Wasn't 80's jargon quaint?) We just nodded and said thanks, but laughed about it when we were out of ear shot. We gave each other looks as in "what does that even mean?" For years after we'd pass each other and one of us would say, "swanky modes, dude."

That's a perfectly nice compliment, and "mode" meaning "fashion" or "style" (unfortunately more the first than the second) is much older than the 80s.

Dr Doran

Miss 1929 said:
We should all be proud to be swanky mode proponents.

But you still need to see HOSTEL to fully "get" the fanny pack thing. You and R. can come over (and J. can give you back those fine items you lent her). I own it on DVD. Fanny pack madness ... [he said, rubbing his hands together wickedly; anything to get people to watch HOSTEL with him]

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Walking down the street with a colleague of mine.
He was vearing a grey fedora, round(ish) steel spectacles and a long black leather coat!!!

A guy our age passed us by and said:
"I thought you all went back home in 1945!"

Now - that's funny lol

Big Man

I stopped by the grocery store yesterday on my way home from work. The young lady at the check out said, "I really like your hat. You are always dressed so nice when you come in here." Then the bag boy says, "Yeah, you remind me of that guy in the movie 'O Brother where Art Thou' - Big Dan Teague." :eek:

I didn't quite know what to say. If it hadn't taken me back so, I should have asked him if he wanted to buy a Bible. lol I guess it could have been worse, he could have said I reminded him of the character in the movie Homer Stokes. [huh]

Oh well, I did get a good comment from a very nice young lady, and the bag boy did identify my style of dress with the 1930's. All in all it was a good day ...

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
Walking down the street with a colleague of mine.
He was vearing a grey fedora, round(ish) steel spectacles and a long black leather coat!!!

A guy our age passed us by and said:
"I thought you all went back home in 1945!"

Now - that's funny lol

ah, yes.... the black leather trenchcoat look never fails to elicit Gestapo comments..... usually I find 'Herr Flick' is the most common one....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allo_allo

LordBest

Practically Family
My story is not exactly funny, to me at least, but probably appropriate for the topic all the same.

A year or so ago I had purchased a very fine black leather trenchcoat. After months of waiting it finally arrived, and it fit me like a glove. I was ecstatic. I decided to wear out as it was rather cold that day. Wherever I stopped people gave me strange looks, I assumed it was because coats are unusual here despite the cold weather in winter.
I went to the doctors, and as I waited casually some old woman looked me up and down, fixed on my sleeves and started yelling about calling the police. With the aid of the pretty receptionist I made a hasty exit out the back door. On the way home I met up with a friend, and related the experience. He looked me up and down, and said:

"The cuff buttons have swastikas on them".

The coat was then moved swiftly from wardrobe to militaria collection and has not been worn since.

Bingles

A-List Customer
Last year I was doing my student teaching, and wore a suit each day while working within a school. During observations in various classrooms, we were told we had to observe various phys. ed class, and to meet with the head phys ed teacher to be told what class to sit in on. Most of the other student teachers had on only a shirt and tie (if that). When we met with the head teacher, he started sending us off to the various classes to observe based on what he thought we would like. His description went like this: "You, you look like a hockey kinda guy... go here. You look more the football type, that room" (then he got to me), "You.. you look like an administrator... go up to the main office." Not being a fan of phys ed, I took it as a compliment and went upstairs to observe a yoga class. :)

LordBest

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
I wonder what that could be...
I've never seen swastika cuff buttons on a German military or political uniform piece.

B
T
Just to show I am not making it up:
swastikacuff.jpg

It came from a seller in the Netherlands who claimed it was WWII German. There is a tag in the inside breast pocket that reads "Aachen 4394/94". Strangely enough a near identical coat I have in somewhat poorer condition has similar cuff buttons but with reverse swastikas.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Hm. Fascinating. Do you have a picture of the coat, full-length?

As for the reverse swastikas, remember that the swastika (in reverse, IIRC, but I could be wrong) used to be a fairly popular symbol, originating in the East. It had no racial/Nazi connotations prior to the Nazi era. For instance, in a 1915 crochet book, there's a bookmark with a swastika charm attached - it was just another design. I wonder if the reverse swastikas were used during WWII?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I can't say for sure, but I would guess that this is some kind of stamp meant to replicate the appearance of a woven button. many leather buttons are actually quarter inch or so strips that are woven in a cross weave pattern. Plastic buttons that attempt to replicate this look often have slight texture and fake lines such as this. This might be some kind of leather button that was stamped maybe.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
ShoreRoadLady said:
Hm. Fascinating. Do you have a picture of the coat, full-length?

As for the reverse swastikas, remember that the swastika (in reverse, IIRC, but I could be wrong) used to be a fairly popular symbol, originating in the East. It had no racial/Nazi connotations prior to the Nazi era. For instance, in a 1915 crochet book, there's a bookmark with a swastika charm attached - it was just another design. I wonder if the reverse swastikas were used during WWII?

You can actually trace the swastika back to the Neolithic period-- early Indian, Greek, and Roman cultures used it in architecture and it is a symbol for the cycle of life in Buddhism and Hinduism. It is a symbol of good luck

Here it is on a Greek helmet:
xswas.jpg

this is an Iranian necklace:
xswas2.jpg

Greek Pottery:
xswas3.jpg

A door step in India:
xswas4.jpg

Honestly, I would never have even noticed the swastikas on the buttons...

I can't say for sure, but I would guess that this is some kind of stamp meant to replicate the appearance of a woven button. many leather buttons are actually quarter inch or so strips that are woven in a cross weave pattern. Plastic buttons that attempt to replicate this look often have slight texture and fake lines such as this. This might be some kind of leather button that was stamped maybe.

That's what I thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran