Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Funniest Things to happen to you in vintage?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
I can't say for sure, but I would guess that this is some kind of stamp meant to replicate the appearance of a woven button. many leather buttons are actually quarter inch or so strips that are woven in a cross weave pattern. Plastic buttons that attempt to replicate this look often have slight texture and fake lines such as this. This might be some kind of leather button that was stamped maybe.

That was my other thought - it greatly resembles a woven leather button. Maybe the stamp was a little off?

Josephine

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
I can't say for sure, but I would guess that this is some kind of stamp meant to replicate the appearance of a woven button.

I agree, especially if the lines radiating from the middle extend to the edge of the button, which it looks like they do.

LordBest

Practically Family
Josephine said:
I agree, especially if the lines radiating from the middle extend to the edge of the button, which it looks like they do.
They go to within 1mm of the button edge. I will try and get a picture of the full coat in a few hours.

Back to the original thrust of the topic, I was wearing my reverse-swastika version yesterday when I had to rush out down the street with no time to get into a different coat. I was also wearing my charcoal grey fedora. While I was standing in a shop, two boys, around 15, yelled out to me:
Boy A "Hey look, its Herr Flick of the Gestapo!"
Boy B "No, thats not Herr Flick of the Gestapo, thats Herr von Smallhausen of the Gestapo!"
Ouch?

Sunny

One Too Many
Are the "swastikas" that noticeable? People may just be reacting to the overall effect. As an experiment, I'd personally try replacing the buttons with something plain (or woven-leather) and see what happens. For the great masses of the Uninformed, leather coat = Gestapo at all times, and pairing it with a fedora may just put the lid on it. :)o )

Chas

One Too Many
Doran said:
The best (in the sense of most genuinely appreciative) comments I get on my 1940s ensembles are from black people.

For me, especially true. I once had a woman in Seattle pass me three times on the street, come back and do a "double take" to make sure that what she saw me wearing, I was indeed wearing. (one of my nice suits w/ wingtips & a nice tan Penney fedora). She stops and says, "you look amazing. I wish more men dressed like you".

Jay

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
I can't say for sure, but I would guess that this is some kind of stamp meant to replicate the appearance of a woven button. many leather buttons are actually quarter inch or so strips that are woven in a cross weave pattern. Plastic buttons that attempt to replicate this look often have slight texture and fake lines such as this. This might be some kind of leather button that was stamped maybe.

Agreed. My old corduroy jacket has these too. Funny, I always thought they kinda looked like swastikas at first, too.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I was letting a friend into my apartment building and one of our security guys started singing "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets," to me. :eusa_doh: It might be my hair, (randomly huge) and my lipstick (a much darker shade than normal) but this guy sees me all the time, so I don't know what prompted the serenade!

dr greg

One Too Many
I agree

reetpleat said:

Anybody who thinks that is a Nazi Swastika is paranoid, I assumed you were talking about something like this
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/german-third-reich-orders-decorations/1133-3-reich-swastika-badge.html
seriously, I'd wear it and be damned, anybody who carries on about it has their own problems. How dare somebody prevent you from lookin good.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I decided to stay in Bellevue after an appointment because the freeway home was a nightmare. I headed for the mall and went into Nordstrom to wander around, kill a little time and decide where to have dinner.

I was cutting through the shoe deparment when a guy reminding me of Ralph Cramden came up to me with a lime green boat shoe in hand and asked if I'd get it for him in size 11. "Yo, buddy, think you can get this for me in an 11 D?"

I'd recently been watching Jeeves & Wooster and I suddenly channeled Jeeves. "No sir, I will not, and even if it were in my power, I would not. There's never an question in the realm of menswear where 'lime green boat shoe' is the proper answer for anyone over, shall we say, six. Might I suggest you rethink your footwear choices and perhaps consider a nice brown or tan, or even navy as more appropriate? And before you summon the manager to voice your extreme discontent with me, let me point out that I, too, am a customer here and not, as you surmised, an employee. Enjoy the rest of your shopping excursion."

I figure he probably stood there, slack-jawed for five minutes trying to figure out what I had said. One of the clerks standing nearby did smirk.

you->
nutkick.gif
<-him
Nice hit, Mike. Very nice hit, indeed!

One small barb for man, hopefully one giant leap for good taste...:D

Dr Doran

Mike in Seattle said:
I decided to stay in Bellevue after an appointment because the freeway home was a nightmare. I headed for the mall and went into Nordstrom to wander around, kill a little time and decide where to have dinner.

I was cutting through the shoe deparment when a guy reminding me of Ralph Cramden came up to me with a lime green boat shoe in hand and asked if I'd get it for him in size 11. "Yo, buddy, think you can get this for me in an 11 D?"

I'd recently been watching Jeeves & Wooster and I suddenly channeled Jeeves. "No sir, I will not, and even if it were in my power, I would not. There's never an question in the realm of menswear where 'lime green boat shoe' is the proper answer for anyone over, shall we say, six. Might I suggest you rethink your footwear choices and perhaps consider a nice brown or tan, or even navy as more appropriate? And before you summon the manager to voice your extreme discontent with me, let me point out that I, too, am a customer here and not, as you surmised, an employee. Enjoy the rest of your shopping excursion."

I figure he probably stood there, slack-jawed for five minutes trying to figure out what I had said. One of the clerks standing nearby did smirk.

You, my good man, are my new hero.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Re: "swastika" buttons. I stopped by the fabric store and happened to spot a bunch of brown plastic buttons, stamped to look like leather. Sure enough - they were dead ringers for the "swastika" button pictured. I have a feeling they were only pegged that way because of the coat style ("Gestapo").

Mike in Seattle said:

*snerk* 'Lime green boat shoe' indeed...

Waitasecond...they make lime green boat shoes? :eek:

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:

:eusa_clap This one really makes my day. If only I had your wit...

For some reason, I want to categorize "lime green boat shoes" in with Ugg boots.

Dr Doran

I am not sure how much this has to do with dressing vintage, but I think y'all might enjoy it.

About a year ago I was pushing my daughter in a stroller down a pleasant street in Berkeley. She was about 1 year old.

A man in his early 60s was walking on the sidewalk toward me. He looked at me, looked at the baby, and smiled and said, "You see -- that's what you get for making whoopee!"

I was laughing for days.

Sunny

One Too Many
Doran said:
I am not sure how much this has to do with dressing vintage, but I think y'all might enjoy it.

About a year ago I was pushing my daughter in a stroller down a pleasant street in Berkeley. She was about 1 year old.

A man in his early 60s was walking on the sidewalk toward me. He looked at me, looked at the baby, and smiled and said, "You see -- that's what you get for making whoopee!"

I was laughing for days.
That is awesome! :eusa_clap

Adele

One of the Regulars
lol

I am trying to hold in my laughter (I'm in the library) - why I chose to read this thread now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran