Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's up with our eyeliner?

roots66 said:
I love the look and do it daily, but I can only ever get away with a subtle flick, and it always turns out better on my left eye than my right. The crease in my right eyelid comes down too close to the outer corner of my right eye, blocking my brush from achieving the extreme Ronnie Spector sweep that I covet. Darn asymmetry...

I have the same problem!! Whichever eye I do first is always the best, then the next is too thin or short compared, so I spend ages trying to even them up. I eventually just get bored...

roots66

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:
I have the same problem!! Whichever eye I do first is always the best, then the next is too thin or short compared, so I spend ages trying to even them up. I eventually just get bored...

Check out some of the how-tos on youtube...they're usually listed under "winged eyeliner." They often suggest that to get the "wing" or "flick" parts symmetrical and even, you should use the upwards angle of your bottom eyelid as a guide. Hard to explain in words, but easily understood in the videos. Not always so easy to attain in real life with the tricky medium of liquid liner, however.

Smuterella

One Too Many
dollydaydream said:
Ah no, I've been wearing wonky eyeliner for almost 10 years (my god I almost sicked then), people will wonder what's happening if I change it now!

:D

*guffaw*

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm still uncertain about whether this look works with my eyes. I want to try it using eyeshadow (I think Johanna does this, I've looked at some of her photos and it doesn't look like liquid liner or regular pencil liner), or a more subtle shade other than jet black.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to eye makeup though. I've always viewed my eyes as being too deep set or my lids too heavy to pull off wearing anything but the simplest nude or gold shimmer. But that might just be my insecurities!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
I'm still uncertain about whether this look works with my eyes. I want to try it using eyeshadow (I think Johanna does this, I've looked at some of her photos and it doesn't look like liquid liner or regular pencil liner), or a more subtle shade other than jet black.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to eye makeup though. I've always viewed my eyes as being too deep set or my lids too heavy to pull off wearing anything but the simplest nude or gold shimmer. But that might just be my insecurities!

i've always thought you had beautiful eyes!
they're just fine for eyeliner, honest.
i think really the only time you can't pull it off is if it's too shaky and you end up with wobbly lines...

JazzBaby

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
Ditto! I only do the top lid these days though. I never leave the house without eyeliner, I look like an alien without it, I'm so used to seeing me with it on!! lol

Same here! I wear it day and night, every day (top lid only) and I'm sure if my friends saw me without it they'd think I looked pretty strange because they're so used to seeing me wear it!

While we're on the subject, what eyeliners have you ladies found to be most effective in achieving this look? I usually use Rimmel Exaggerate mascara as I like the 'felt tip pen' effect of the brush, as opposed to the softer ones. I just find it a little easier to draw a neat line without the brush moving about. However, the colour tends to fade a bit throughout the day. Any recommendations?

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
I love benefits babe cake, with the special brush, its a revelation

I've been eyeing that in their catalouge and wondering if I should buy it. I love Benefit's packaging but for some reason I always find their products are never worth what I paid for them. How does it work, do you have to dampen it first?

Smuterella

One Too Many
its the only thing I ave of theirs that I'd definitely buy again. its half black, half brown and you buy a little wonky brush to go with it, you wet the eyliner and then apply. it can rub off but if you use their she-lac on the top it stays put through a night out dancing and into the next morning if you are like me and forget to take it off before collapsing into bed

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Thanks Smuterella, I'll give it a try! One last question though - does the She-Laq irritate your eyes? I've always imagined it to be similar to Lipcoate, and I would never imagine putting that on my eyelids!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo