Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's up with our eyeliner?

epr25

Practically Family
I know there is an eyeliner thread on here but I can not find it? So please feel free to merge.

I can not remember if I have asked this before. I always wonder this when I am looking at photos of other loungers. What is up with our eyeliner? So many of us do the long drawn out pointed eyeliner. I do this to. I have for many years. I have a friend that dug mine so now she is also fashioning her liner in the manner. Where did this come from? Is this a vintage thing?

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Is this any different than the 'cat's eye' liner look?

Interesting. I sometimes do a small 'flick' at the end for an evening look. Since I tend to do a 40s look most often, I just line really close to the eyelashes for a more full but natural lash look.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I always liked the look so started doing it in my teens and have done so ever since. Though I generally favour the 40s look, I just can't give up the cat eye! It's one of the many things that mean I suppose I will never be 'period accurate'. Oh well!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've never liked this look for myself, so I don't do it. Marilyn did it in the 50s, though, and we don't see it much before that, so I assume this is the period it dates from.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've been doing it since I started wearing make up. I tend to do a smaller flick, in brown for day / 40's and black with a larger flick for evening/50's.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I do this too, somewhat. I feel like it makes my eyes look bigger. Yet recently I'm thinking it makes me look older and kinda wicked, just because of my particular eyes and shape. (in other words I don't think others look this way with flicked ends!)
I adore your eyeliner Kitty, as I commented on it before. It is just perfect in your pinup shoot
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=358281&highlight=kitty+eyeliner#post358281
and that's the look I've been trying to get down pat lately.
I always wondered if it started with the Cleopatra movies.
Nikki

jayem

A-List Customer
I do it sometimes, though I'm starting to give up using eye liner at all, and just piling on the mascara. I've noticed THIS above all things makes my eyes pop. I also put a bit of white in the inner corners. When I wear falsies, I have to use eye liner, or it just looks messy.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I started doing it as a teen, in a very exaggerated way, to copy Siouxie Sioux and never really stopped. It has gotten less exaggerated, though. I LOVE my eyes with it.

D

Deleted member 3716

i've also been doing this FOREVER.

i think it started during my mod period although sometimes it feels like i came out of the womb with flicked eyeliner :)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Yup - FABULOUS link Tess. Isn't it interesting to see how much older models were in those days - they look as if they are in their 30's. How wondrous! Very inspiring stuff.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love the doe eye on others but I can't carry it off--I think you need a bit of angle to your face for it to look really good and I'm all curves.

That Avedon link was fab--those women are the epitome of chic. I look at models today and for the most part I think "I'd never want to look like that!"

TessTrueheart

MissHannah said:
Isn't it interesting to see how much older models were in those days - they look as if they are in their 30's. How wondrous! Very inspiring stuff.

They were truly real WOMEN, and it's so fabulous to see. I flick through Vogue, and Elle every now and then and see the 14, 15, 16 year olds modeling and I always think "What has this got to do with me?".

roots66

One of the Regulars
I love the look and do it daily, but I can only ever get away with a subtle flick, and it always turns out better on my left eye than my right. The crease in my right eyelid comes down too close to the outer corner of my right eye, blocking my brush from achieving the extreme Ronnie Spector sweep that I covet. Darn asymmetry...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo