Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite porridge?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Daily Porridge user here.

I never measure the water and oats- I have the Porridge instinct- make it fast because I use the rolled oats
and want some texture to remain- too long and too much starch is released. If I could get the ground oats,
rather than the rolled, I would probably prefer them.
Cook the rolled oats too long and it becomes too smooth and gelatinous for me.
We call oats "Havregryn", here in the state of DK.

I have made Porridge from Muesli before- less starch, less sludgey, much more texture.
Or a mixture of different grains but, as you mention, Alan, soaked beforehand.

Many people over here eat rolled oats just as you would a cereal- add cold milk to the uncooked oats and eat.
Nice too.

I knew a Scotsman who said it was traditional to eat Porridge with butter and pepper...

Full-cream milk and soft brown sugar is the New Zealand way.

Oats (avena sativa)are/is a natural "upper" and a great source of carbohydrate.

"Waiter- these Oats taste like dirt!"
"Well Sir, they were only ground this morning"

B
T

rumblefish

One Too Many
How about nice heathy steel cut oats with a mound of (not so healthy) clotted, or double devon cream. You know,,,,for that yin and yang experience. That's usually reserved for the weekends. Weekdays it's yogurt on top.

Foofoogal

Banned
I love oatmeal with cream and sugar and the real stuff. The microwave in a pinch but the old fashioned is best. Old fashioned, one minute and instant all have different amounts of salt in them. The old fashion the least.
The owner of Marriott hotels has a statement, "Oatmeal is not negotiable" as part of his chain. This is why you will always find oatmeal there.
Oh yes. I also love blueberries sometimes in mine.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
How about nice heathy steel cut oats with a mound of (not so healthy) clotted, or double devon cream. You know,,,,for that yin and yang experience. That's usually reserved for the weekends. Weekdays it's yogurt on top.

O MY...with Devon cream? That sounds absolutely divine, and beyond. *swoon* lol

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Oatmeal - you have been warned

dhermann1 said:
Now here's a definite example of the impact of a name change. Nobody ever would have started a discussion of favorite porridge in a forum entitled "Vices". :)

I would!

In my mind, the definition of a vice is enything that can cause a man (never a lady, for a lady has no vices) to plunge to the very depths of moral terpitude and degradation. I can easily see this happening when he becomes a slave to oatmeal.

A music-hall song entitled The Song of The Salvation Army that was popular in the UK in past times points out the corresponding dangers of (Hovis) oatmeal bread. I quote briefly:

"Hovis is a curse - it's made with yeast
A man takes a slice and he turns to a beast
Can you imagine a greater disgrace
Than a man in the gutter with crumbs on his face?"

The slippery slope looms - you have been warned.

Alan

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like my oatmeal with 1% milk and Equal. I mix in berries when I have them and cashews when I'm feeling decadent.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Did somebody say fritters?

I once got a recipe for spaghetti squash fritters (with dill) out of Country Living magazine, to die for! There's a whole WORLD of fritters out there!

Mojito

One Too Many
I'm not really an afficianado in this area, but I do love my oats! I use them as the perfect breakfast fuel on a day with a long run or heavy gym session. I cook in a sliced banana, then when they're done spoon in some all-natural crunchy peanut butter and a drizzle of honey.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You will alll find it odd

but the Mexican way to eat oats is a porridge-like soup, made with tomato broth, garlic, oats, and served with banana slices!

It sounds very strange but it's absolutely delicious.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I tried the McCann's oats and they were nothing compared to the bulk steel cut oats from Whole Foods. [huh]
The old me basically made "cookie dough" with my oatmeal, brown sugar, butter, ect.
The new Weight Watchers me puts about a T. of sugar free/fat free butterscotch pudding mix in with some sugar free Mrs. Buttersworth maple syrup. Every morning almost. I like thick oatmeal, no soupy stuff!

I like cream of wheat and maltomeal too, but I hate the cleanup so I don't fix it as often. I also love grits and polenta. Polenta is great as fritters or pancakes, yum!
Nikki

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Cleanup trick for all pots in which grains are cooked (porridge, cream o wheat, etc): immediately fill with COLD water and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinses clean. Hot water sets the stuff in place.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Scot!
LOL, I'll give it a shot! I usally just let it dry till it's crusty, then scrape out with a paper towel and wash.
Nikki
scotrace said:
Cleanup trick for all pots in which grains are cooked (porridge, cream o wheat, etc): immediately fill with COLD water and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinses clean. Hot water sets the stuff in place.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Grits, oatmeal, and maltomeal kinda gal myself. My husband won't touch grits though and hates oatmeal...he's got this wierd thing with textures..
But in the winter nothing beats a good hot bowl of any of the above in the morning. lately I've been putting dried cranberries in mine...

I CANNOT eat my grits with butter though. I'm odd I know. I grew up eating them with honey or sorghum. But it can't be clover honey, it has to be local sourwood honey. None of that sissy mild flavoured national brand junk.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:

I been doin it right all along! :) Thanks Scott! Yay me!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran