Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite porridge?

normanpitkin

One of the Regulars
As a young boy ,my mother,a fervent scot ,would make all of her children eat scots porridge oats with salt,to this very day i loathe it .In fact as a kind of bizarre revenge ,I now enjoy nothing more than a big bowl of Lucky Charms!!!Take that ,porridge lovers!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Yes. 'Proper' Scottish porridge is as salty as ... a very salty thing. Did she make you eat it standing up? That's another tradition.

Alan

normanpitkin said:
As a young boy ,my mother,a fervent scot ,would make all of her children eat scots porridge oats with salt,to this very day i loathe it .In fact as a kind of bizarre revenge ,I now enjoy nothing more than a big bowl of Lucky Charms!!!Take that ,porridge lovers!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's been porridge all this last week or so for me for brekkie.

Been eating it the usual Kiwi way with full cream milk and brown sugar.

The perfect way to start the day when it's cold and snowing as it has been here.

olive bleu

One Too Many
yum

Loved porridge all my life.I always eat it the way my grandmother made it, with a dab of butter, a spoonful of brown sugar and a bit of milk.All washed down with a strong cup of tea, of course!

Many moons ago, i worked at a summer camp full of city kids who were raised on Corn Flakes and had never seen oatmeal.Our cook made porridge about once a week,and i was always very proud of the fact that, after i showed my kids how to fix it up, my cabin always went back for seconds!

invention13

New in Town
Ordinary Quaker oats, with 3-4 teaspoons of oat bran. 1 cut up Granny Smith apple, with a ton of cinnamon (no sugar). My every day breakfast.

Another one that is good is barley - mill it in a coffee grinder, add to boiling water until thick.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Nine out of ten mornings I eat either irish oats or oat bran. I love the chewy texture of irish oats, like McCann's, though I never buy McCann's because it too expensive when compared with buying bulk from my local health food store.

My usual recipe is 1 1/4 cup water to 1/4 oats and a nice pinch of salt. Bring to boil, then simmer on low until thickened adequately (about 20 minutes). Then I like to add either 1/4 cup soy milk, plain fat-free natural yogurt, or buttermilk. Yum, nice and creamy.

For flavoring, one of my favorites is a small, mashed banana with a drizzle of maple syrup. Or maybe a big spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder with a bit of brown sugar or honey.

It may take time to make, but Irish oats are well worth it, plus, when they're cooking I can get a shower. It works out well. ^_^

I can't say I'm a big fan of rolled oats, as they usually have the consistency of paste, lol. Though I do enjoy it cold from time to time. Just take 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1/2 cup soy milk with a teaspoon or so of cinnamon and let it sit for 30 minutes. Not bad, really.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
One part plain 'ol steel-cut oats, three parts water, one part milk. Dump the oats in a pot with a pinch of salt, and the water, bring to a boil, reduce to a LOW simmer, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir, add the milk, cover again, and let it simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve with more milk (or buttermilk!), sweetener to taste (I like brown sugar, REAL maple syrup, or honey), dried or fresh fruit cut into small pieces, and/or nuts.

Like Hexenmeister, I used to buy McCanns, until I realized that the stuff from the bulk bin at the Co-op was just as good, and something like 1/5 the price. I store it in a McCanns tin, though ;)

I'll have to try it with cocoa powder sometime. Do you use dutched or natural?

I usually eat my porridge with a big cup of strong black coffee, a slice of dry wheat toast (the dense, heavy wheat bread with all sorts of seeds and grains in it), and a poached egg.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
adamjaskie said:
I'll have to try it with cocoa powder sometime. Do you use dutched or natural?

I usually eat my porridge with a big cup of strong black coffee, a slice of dry wheat toast (the dense, heavy wheat bread with all sorts of seeds and grains in it), and a poached egg.

Both work well, but I find the dutch processed makes a deeper, richer chocolatiness. I love to use the stuff because it makes the oatmeal uber chocolaty while only adding a mere 15-or-so calories (maybe 40 cal with sweetener). And don't forget that unsweetened cocoa is very good for you, too.

I also love to add a big dollop of jam as a flavoring/sweetener.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My wife makes ours, and I love it:

steel cut oats

toasted almonds and walnuts

golden raisins and thinly sliced granny smith apples softened up in a frying pan with real maple syrup

It's a weekend thing, like blueberry pancakes or strawberry crepes.

gingermore

Familiar Face
I like my porridge cooked with chopped dates (no need to add sugar later) and served with soy or rice milk, diced fruits (I just use the canned stuff), sprinkled with L.S.A (that's ground linseed, sunflower seed and almonds) and topped with chopped walnuts. Although I prefer it stirred in a pot with organic oats I have to confess that I just cook it in the microwave with instant oats because I make it every day before work so it needs to be quick.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I'm not into oatmeal, but rice-porridge and polenta - that's yum!

Danes make something called "risengroed" which translates "rice-porridge". It's basically milk cooked with chubby short-grain rice (resembling risotto-rice) and added a pinch of salt. Then you top if off with butter and cinnamon-sugar. It's sooooo good! I'm sure many Danes here would agree. It's mostly a Christmas thing, though. It's not very good for you, anyway, to me it's like dessert. :)

risengroed001.jpg

About polenta, I'm from Southern Europe, so I grew up with it. My mom makes the best polenta. When the polenta is cooked to a nice thick consistency, sprinkle some cheese on top and then finally you melt some butter 'till it's a little browned and drip it all over the polenta! This was a perfect breakfast for me as a kid, my favorite.

In stead of butter and cheese, which is quite fatty, many people like it with just yoghurt on top. Some add a little garlic to the yoghurt.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Papa's Porridge

I worked for 9 years at a cottage industry cereal "factory" in Oregon. One of our products was called Papa's Porridge. Not sure if it's still being made, but the company still thrives: Grizzlies' Granolas

Lots of walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, apples. Heart stuff.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
At home, we use regular Quaker Oats, with some cinnamon sticks and raisins. We also do a rice-porridge, in Spanish they call it atole de arroz. Cooked much the same way, add sugar, cinnamon sticks and raisins. As for Malt-O-Meal, Like it with a pat of butter, a little sugar and some milk to loosen it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran