Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Guilty Pleasure?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
For me, television is rife with guilty pleasures.

The Lawrence Welk show! Instant time machine and a definite guilty pleasure. When I visited my grandparents as a child every Saturday night found me sitting by the La-Z-boys on their avocado shag wall to wall carpeting watching that show on their enormous console “wood veneered” television. I especially love Jo Ann Castle and her athletic piano playing and the lovely Mexican Senorita Anacani (I thought she was so beautiful when I was 6). Myron Floren repelled me (should a man be that close to his accordion?) and he still gives me the creeps.

Watching awful television when you’re home sick from work. I’m a sucker for DNA test “talk” shows, ”my sister smashed my car” “court” shows, Unsolved Mysteries (Robert Stack and you’ll not find better cheesy reenactments), I Shouldn’t Be Alive, any Bravo reality show (Top Chef, Shear Genius, and my all time favorite Project Runway) or America’s Next Top Model.

Old holiday shows are great—Andy Williams singing at the Vatican or Bing Crosby’s family in faux Dickensian garb.

The 1970’s/80s Jerry Lewis telethons. I would kill for tapes of these—the bizarre guests (Lola Falana!), Jerry sobbing every 10 minutes--will he be able to stay up for 24 hours?!, drinking and smoking on stage, Timpani!. A very good cause but those shows were surreal.

I adore Buffy and she’s not really a guilty pleasure for me but between Angel and Spike put me down for Spike. Of course, Giles trumps them both in my book.

Also, in the food realm, Little Debbie Swiss Rolls (12 for a dollar—that’s gotta be quality!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany