Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

when a boy wears a hat...

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
I was just wondering about something and I figured some of you folks on here just might know about it...During the era when men wearing hats in dress clothing was commonplace, at what age would a boy begin to wear a hat? Would teenage boys be seen with hats? Would they even have hats for little guys (age 5 or so)? Just curious...thanks!

North Valley

New in Town
??

Hey! I was just having lunch in town yesterday at a diner that has an old 30s -40s atmosphere.
On the tables under the glass were ads from different publications.
I was taken by the fact that every man in the pictures had a hat on. Some appeared as young as late teens. But all of the more school aged boys had on more of a cap or driving cap so-to-speak.
I found this interesting.
On the dress hat side of the world I don't really know when boys start wearing hats??? But, In the cowboy world boys are wearing hats from the time they can walk!
[huh]

MKL

A-List Customer
Don't know about back then, but my son (in the pic) has been wearing one for about a year or so. He is now 11. :) The hat is wearing is a size 7, vintage, of course.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
North Valley said:
But, In the cowboy world boys are wearing hats from the time they can walk!

Oh yes, that is so true! I remember back when I used to do a little reining, I would see little kids that could barely walk wearing cowboy hats (some even nicer than mine lol)!

MKL, that's great that your boy is wearing them already! I figured that back then they would wear those drivig cap type hats, but I didn't know for sure...

MKL

A-List Customer
I do see as I look through books of that period a few teens wearing fedoras. From that I have seen that is a rare thing. Most have the newsboy hats on if they are wearing anything.

MKL said:
I do see as I look through books of that period a few teens wearing fedoras. From that I have seen that is a rare thing. Most have the newsboy hats on if they are wearing anything.

From what I gather, wearing a true fedora or hat was a right of passage from boyhood to adulthood. A young boy would wear a cap or a newsboy. Later in their teen age years they might get a fedora.
I kind of like that tradition thing where the father went in with the son and bought him his first true hat. That being said, my son is getting one as soon as I can find one that fits. He already outgrew two caps and he is only five months old. :eek: I think I'll start looking at those 6 7/8 sized hats again. ;) :p

Regards,

J

6StringShooter said:
I was just wondering about something and I figured some of you folks on here just might know about it...During the era when men wearing hats in dress clothing was commonplace, at what age would a boy begin to wear a hat? Would teenage boys be seen with hats? Would they even have hats for little guys (age 5 or so)? Just curious...thanks!
It depended on the family, I guess, some boys would get a hat at about 10 or 12 to wear with a suit. I recall my brother having a porkpie type fedora at about that time.

Sincerely,

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A while back I searched unsuccessfully for a felt fedora
in a size suitable for a 2 year old. I know a kid who really
needs one...

Aside from the custom route, do post if you know of
a source.

RedPop4

One Too Many
My ten-year-old regularly wears his "Disney-puchased" wool Indy. His looks better than mine, and even fits me better than mine. His has the leather sweat, raw edge and c-crown.

Doh!

One Too Many
That's an interesting piece of trivia!

I've always assumed Stymie's to be a hand-me-down from his father and definitely played for comedy, but Alfalfa's fits him a lot better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24