Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did belts replace braces?

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
When?? When?? they havent in my wardrobe..
It was apparently the hot summer of 1904 when men took off their waistcoats and as braces were originally seen as "underwear" they fell out of favour.. however as everybody know, trousers must be supported by braces.. and No, Im not talking about Jeans!!!!

Phew, that feels better..
ttfn

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I wear braces almost exclusively now. I find them much more comfortable than belts. Trousers hang, instead of being tied around my waist. I don't feel strangled anymore.

If my research is any indicator, braces & belts started fighting for dominance around the 1930s and 40s. By the 50s and 60s, I think belts were beginning to win.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I had a friend who has pasted away, that used to wear both Belt & Brace. He was a WWII Army Sniper in the Pacific. He would always say when asked about his fashion statement, "you can never be to safe when it comes to pants!" I do miss Chester.

The Good

Call Me a Cab

Unless you're able to pull off the look that Marcello Mastroianni did in "8 1/2": skinny black braces with metal clip-on ends!

BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

Cheers!

I'm a big fan of 8 1/2 myself, and Marcello Mastroianni looked cool wearing narrow braces. If I took up wearing braces, I'd for sure want to get narrow black ones in the collection. For now, it's belts or nothing with suits, as I feel like I'm a little young to start wearing braces.

Don't clip ons ruin the trouser waistband over time though?

Cobden

Practically Family
Though if the waistcoat and trousers are properly cut, noone but the wearer (and, of course, anyone in whose company he undresses) would ever know. [huh]

Not sure about that...the belt buckle would cause an unsightly bulge in the waistcoat, and cause the shirt to bellow slightly peculiarly under the waistcoat and out of the arm holes.

I tend to wear belts with two piece (though that is only a tendency), always braces with three piece.

dnjan

One Too Many
I find that when wearing braces, I am more likely to "suck in my gut".
Doing so while wearing braces does not lead to sagging pants (as it could do when I used to wear belts).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot