Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did belts replace braces?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
MisterGrey said:
After all, what's the purpose of having patterned or niftily colored braces if only the wearer knows what they look like?

A quiet sense of personal satisfaction, presumably the same as silk underwear? lol

HarpPlayerGene said:
I agree with you Tom, but the funny thing is; braces were considered almost as underwear in the day. "Vests" or waistcoats were to cover the braces.

I personally like both braces AND belts just for the styles, and I wear them together even at the risk of being accused of not trusting my own pants. lol

I see a lot of the both around here. I was always curious about that. I'd probably be one of those guys if I started wearing braces. I'm a fan of belts and belt buckles.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
avedwards said:
So at what point between the 1940s and 1960s did belts replace braces for holding up trousers?
In the early 30's the Duke of Windsor eschewed braces in favor of belts and his style icon status influenced other men to follow suit. Interestingly, his London tailor refused to make belted trousers so he had all of his trousers made in New York, while his jackets continued to be made on Savile Row. He called it "Pants across the sea."

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
MisterGrey said:
I've heard this before, but I think it was either a trend or only applies to formal wear; it's definitely not the standard, otherwise there wouldn't be so many examples of patterned/fancily colored suspenders from the Golden Era and prior. After all, what's the purpose of having patterned or niftily colored braces if only the wearer knows what they look like?
To show off to your wife or whoever is likely to see them? [huh]

Highlander

A-List Customer
Ah, Avedwards, so you are equating a man's braces to a ladies garters and stocking tops? :) A glimpse therefor would be quite shocking to someone other than her spouse or significant other. And THAT(the ladies garters) will/would make my day. Sadly hosiery at all, let alone garters and stocking tops are seen more rarely than men in braces.

Me, I think a properly dressed gentleman leaves his jacket on, until he is excused to remove it. And if braces happen to be his method of holding up his britches... well, sobeit.. I will say this, I have removed my jacket to dance many times, and quite often the lady I am dancing with etc will comment, touch, and maybe even flirt over the braces... (usally wearing my Cole Hahn Burgundy, Green and Blue Striped braces)

Great thread by the way..

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Apparently, in the later '20s and the '30s, waistcoats became less mandatory
and belts gained favour, with the "2 piece" suit. Apparently, there was a resurgence of suspender wearing in the '40s, with more voluminous trousers.

Belts and waistcoats are a dress-code no-no.
So, there's a thing.

B
T

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
BellyTank said:
Apparently, in the later '20s and the '30s, waistcoats became less mandatory ...

In the early 1900s (from about 1905 to WWI), lounge suits without waistcoats became wildly popular in the United States. Belts were the fastener of choice, but I've seen a 1910 L.A. newspaper advertisement for a trouser that required no braces AND no belt. Imagine that: as early as 1910, some men craved beltlessness.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
MisterGrey said:
I've heard this before, but I think it was either a trend or only applies to formal wear; it's definitely not the standard, otherwise there wouldn't be so many examples of patterned/fancily colored suspenders from the Golden Era and prior. After all, what's the purpose of having patterned or niftily colored braces if only the wearer knows what they look like?

Wearing fancy braces was similar to women wearing fancy underwear. You know you're wearing them even if no one else ever sees them.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Fun thread.

I'm not expert on this but I think the 'braces as underwear' thing goes back further than the '30s and '40s. I believe the patterned vintage braces, while old and Golden Era to us, are still relatively modern and from a time when some of the old conventions were relaxing.

I like braces, belts AND waistcoats. I usually won't wear a waistcoat though when I'm wearing braces. But the belt is there in either event. If my pants have belt loops I'm puttin' a belt through 'em. :D

So, basically what I'm saying is I do it all wrong - - and I do that on purpose. lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
While nobody loves buckles and straps more than I, there is no arguing that trousers hang best from braces. [huh]

Shoes097.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Belts are closer to the manly essence.
If you doubt this, try thrashing an inferior with a pair of suspenders.

Which is supposedly one reason, along with cost, why the Army and Marine Corps. stopped issuing leather belts with enlisted, class A (Alpha) jackets: Dogfaces and Jarheads were using them to beat the tar out of each other at bars and other sunny locales...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
While nobody loves buckles and straps more than I, there is no arguing that trousers hang best from braces. [huh]
Shoes097.jpg

Ah, beautiful display of straps and buckles, Tomasso! Yet I agree that trousers hang best from suspenders, espcially trousers with a Hollywood waist. I also think that they can be attractive to the fairer sex when revealed under the right circumstances.

Thanks for also mentioning how the Duke of Windsor was responsible for the "rise" of belts in the '30s. In addition, by the time you get to the late '50s, low-waisted trousers are the norm, and wearing braces with those makes no sense. And if it hasn't already been mentioned, never wear a belt and braces at the same time.:eek:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
HarpPlayerGene said:
... I believe the patterned vintage braces, while old and Golden Era to us, are still relatively modern and from a time when some of the old conventions were relaxing.

Nope. Fancy braces have been around since braces first began to worn -- in the early 19th century. In fact, betrothed ladies would sew colorful needlepoint braces for their fiances, who would wear them on the wedding day. In the second half of the 19th century, flowery embroidered satin braces in a host of colors began to be marketed to bridegrooms.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Just a question, so I thought I'd revive my thread...

I have a suit from the 60s which fits me as though it were tailored for me although it is just a handed down one. It has belt loops but as a result of the good fit I don't actually need to wear a belt although I do anyway. Would it be acceptable to wear that suit without a belt or should I wear a belt anyway just to be correct?

billyspew

One Too Many
If the trousers fit without then go without the belt. My tailored suits all fit well without and I go without. In fact in the banking industry in London it's almost de-rigeur to have belt loops and go without the belt to show the fact you're wearing a tailored suit.

In the end though, do whatever feels most comfortable to you and be damned everyone else.

TTFN,

Bill

mattfink

Practically Family
Kind of a funny question as the belt was around long before pants. Romans, Huns, Vikings all wore them to hold tools or weapons. In the pants arena I think people have always wore both. It's actually making a bit of a comeback in fashion (as it has several times over the past decade) to sport a pair of braces.

PseudoGent

New in Town
It's actually making a bit of a comeback in fashion (as it has several times over the past decade) to sport a pair of braces.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. As someone who's always curious, I've looked over a wide range of fashion shows (Hugo Boss, Burberry, Prada, Ralph Lauren, and Jean-Paul Gaultier who's collections are good if you're looking for a laugh) and I don't remember seeing braces on a single one.
As for actual style, I've never seen a pair in Australia, regardless of where I've been, with the exception of the ravers and their slack-sported neon things, and the musicians who want to appear individual. That said, they were all were silly designs or clip jobs, so get a good pair with the right attire, don't make it too obvious, and you may just get an army of followers who want to know the fashion-forward man and his "unique and modern" take on clothing.
As for myself, I'm generally a belt wearer, as while I will concede that braces ARE more comfortable and slightly more reliable, I like the look of a good belt, and I'll always have something on hand to whack my good friends with should they crack a rather incendiary remark about my pink shirt or my wearing of ties :).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR