Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is a 50% off sale not a sale?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
When "Leather Coats Etc." advertises a 50% sale, that's when. I bought an A-2 last spring from them at 30% off, which was about $228, with free shipping. The regular price was $285. Today they are having a 50% off sale, but the sale price is $285. This was their full price only weeks ago. They show their full price as $570...ain't no way I'm doing that!

Just another gimmick.

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
Everything for the half of the double! :eusa_doh:
I've experienced an similar situation couple days ago. Went to buy a new pair of sunglasses and the only store that have my size was offering 25% off, the problem is that they regular price was higher than ALL the other stores.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
What a lot of stores in the UK do is to buy in items then offer them at really high prices purposely, the idea being that they then get reduced to a more appealing price, which is the price the items were originally planned to sell at making you think you got a bargain! A great Christmas time con. I am no expert on this but to sell an item at a sale price, over here the items must have been on sale at the higher price for a certain period, so the shop will get one item in at the higher price just to be legal.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
What a lot of stores in the UK do is to buy in items then offer them at really high prices purposely, the idea being that they then get reduced to a more appealing price, which is the price the items were originally planned to sell at making you think you got a bargain! A great Christmas time con. I am no expert on this but to sell an item at a sale price, over here the items must have been on sale at the higher price for a certain period, so the shop will get one item in at the higher price just to be legal.

Yes, a scam that has been perpetrated for ages by retail establishments. As in the case of Leather Coats Etc., their old regular price of $285 for the A-2 and G-1 was a very fair price. And the quality of the jacket is very good...I bought one and at least one (two?) others on this forum purchased one as well. But my cost was $228 on sale.
P1010525.jpg

IXL

One Too Many
I was one of the ones who also purchased an A2 from these guys, at $228.00. It has been a very serviceable jacket, fits well, looks good, and was a steal at the purchase price. TXFlyGuy, let me know when you run across any other deals with any venders, 'cause I'm all in!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I was one of the ones who also purchased an A2 from these guys, at $228.00. It has been a very serviceable jacket, fits well, looks good, and was a steal at the purchase price. TXFlyGuy, let me know when you run across any other deals with any venders, 'cause I'm all in!

You'll be the first to know if I find another deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy