Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Will You Be Done Buying Hats?

HatsEnough

Banned
I have to say, after several years of collecting, I am getting close to being done buying hats in the volume I had been buying them. It made me wonder if I am close to being more or less done with my collection. It also made me wonder if anyone else is close to being satisfied (more or less)?

I mean, I have about 50 or so fedoras. I have black, green, brown, tan, white, silverbelly, blue, many grays… I have all the colors I need.

I have bowlers, Homburgs, one stingy brim (which looks god awful on me), several westerns, several Open Roads, 2 straws, and a lot of different fedoras with brims from 2-1/4 to 3 inches.

I have examples of most of the major hat brands and a bunch of Stetsons.

So… now what?

The fact is I have every model, color, and style that I set out to get. I have enough to go with every style of dress.

I find myself skipping over ebay hats more often than buying now. Sure I still pick one up once in a while, but I am not getting the 5 or 6 or more a month like I was for so long.

Anyway, how many of us out there are not nearly as active in buying as they used to be? How many are happy with the collection they have and have come to a plateau?

Can you conceive of a time when you are finished? Do you even want that day to come?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Do you know what?

...... I did not buy a single hat this year :cheer2::rapture:

Am I cured and confident with my collection because I only have one head and classic styles repeat?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I haven't purchased a new felt in a couple years and have no immediate plans for any new additions. Straws are a different story and unfortunately they can get a lot pricier.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
I haven't purchased a new felt in a couple years and have no immediate plans for any new additions. Straws are a different story and unfortunately they can get a lot pricier.

Oups, just started a similar thread before I noticed this one! What a coincidence! Simply be done with what you have!

SteveAS

Practically Family
Happily, and uncharacteristically, I'm more in a mood to sell than buy lately, but I still keep my eyes open for interesting hats to buy.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have a black homburg, a grey Akubra Federation, a brown long velour-finnish Borsalino and a burgundy fedora and I only see myself wanting another three hats before I consider myself to have enough. I wouldn't mind a tan fedora, a top hat and a grey fedora of similar proportions to the Akubra but custom made and with a bound brim so it looks dressier. None of these are urgently necessary in my wardrobe and I will only buy them when I have a large enough income.

I never set out to collect hats, simly to have a reasonable hat wardrobe. As far as I'm concerned more suits are of greater importance than more hats at the moment.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Man, straws are tough!

I suppose the thing that would make sense would be to stop shopping for felts ... be content with what I have ... and spend all year saving up to start buying some panamas or to keep replacing older straws.

In 1974 I bought an Oleg Cassini brand panama at an exclusive mens shop in Wichita. I paid $45 for it ... brand new, of course.

I loved that hat and wore the heck out of it. Eventually the sweat fell apart. It would have been worth having a new sweat installed, but while it was still like brand new a 'friend' grabbed it one time and broke the straw at the peak of the crown.

The first dress wester Stetson I bought, I purchased new that same year. I paid $25 for it at a nice western store. You can do the math.

I cringe at the cost of nice panamas today, but by that comparison, they haven't gone up all that much.

The problem is, I don't have the expendable income that I did in 1974 ... and that is certainly NOT the fault of the hat makers!

Sam

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I mean, I have about 50 or so fedoras. I have black, green, brown, tan, white, silverbelly, blue, many grays… I have all the colors I need.

I have bowlers, Homburgs, one stingy brim (which looks god awful on me), several westerns, several Open Roads, 2 straws, and a lot of different fedoras with brims from 2-1/4 to 3 inches.

I have examples of most of the major hat brands and a bunch of Stetsons.

With a little tweaking and a few more verses, maybe listing all the brands, you could write a song along the lines of "I've Been Everywhere" that Johnny Cash did so well.

HatsEnough

Banned
With a little tweaking and a few more verses, maybe listing all the brands, you could write a song along the lines of "I've Been Everywhere" that Johnny Cash did so well.

LOL, yeah that would work!

I DO have a few wants, but none of them are pressing.

-I'd like a Cavanagh, but it has to have a 2-1/2 or large brim and for some reason those seem few and far between.

-I'd like an older 7X Open Road than I have. Mine is from the 70s and is stiff as a board. I'd like one from the 50s or earlier.

-I'd like to replace my Stetson Flagship with one in a bit better shape. The one I have is beat up a bit.

-I'd like a Schoble to go with my Schoble nat box and my Schoble advertising sign.

-I am looking for a nice JC Penny Marathon (2-1/2 brim or better, of course) to go with my Penny's hat box.

But, I really am not hankering for anything else in particular. I used to have a long list of hats and colors I wanted. I have them all.

And most especially, I have run out of room to put them. I just don;t know where I'd put more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot